Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Singers who read the words while singing

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having recently returned from Nashville, almost all of the singers had a little clip on phone holder on their mic stands with phones attached. I assumed this for lyrics but wasn’t certain.
Bloody amateurs!

I’m currently learning guitar and piano and trying to sing whilst playing an instrument is damn difficult so I can understand musicians having a back up to assist.
It's a skill that has to be learned, just the same as learning the chord shapes for the guitar or which keys to hit on the piano.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's one thing to expect, say, Chesney Hawkes to remember all the words to his hit, but shouldn't there be leeway for people who have an entire catalogue of songs, who have volumes of lyrics to memorise.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having recently returned from Nashville, almost all of the singers had a little clip on phone holder on their mic stands with phones attached. I assumed this for lyrics but wasn’t certain.
When I was out giggling and forgot words (it happens) I’d generally repeat a previous verse. I never got picked up by anybody that had realised.
Although if I’m at a gig and a performer does use my old tricks, I ALWAYS notice!

I’m currently learning guitar and piano and trying to sing whilst playing an instrument is damn difficult so I can understand musicians having a back up to assist.

Anyways, if you asked me to sing every song I had ever performed I doubt very much I would remember all the words even though I might have sung the song a thousand times before. Maybe it’s an age thing [emoji6]

Couldn't it be they just have the track listing on the phone rather than on a piece of scrap paper stuck to the stage?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How many female vocalists does it take to change a lightbulb ?

Just the one. She holds the bulb and the world revolves around her

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Only ever learned and retained the lyric to Take it Easy by Eagles and Harvest by Neil Young. Never been able to remember words since as a choirboy when other lads remembered hymns and I had the songbook in front of me. And I was head choirboy!

Jul 7, 2003
Give the guy a break - he is 73 years old. Having the autocue there as a backup is something many of the veteran singers have these days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Most of us have the chords (and words) taped on the top of the guitar? Absolute bollox! Most of us would die of shame if we couldn't manage without that!

I prostrate myself at such an talent you have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I prostrate myself at such an talent you have.
I said 'us', not 'me'. Most of us would not dream of not learning the words and reading them off an autocue or a scrap of paper taped to the guitar. I make no claim to any more talent than thousands and thousands of other guitarists up and down the land.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Only ever learned and retained the lyric to Take it Easy by Eagles and Harvest by Neil Young. Never been able to remember words since as a choirboy when other lads remembered hymns and I had the songbook in front of me. And I was head choirboy!
Did you mean Harvest Moon by Neil Young? If so you retained the lyrics - but forgot 50% of the title. Great track though.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I sing and play instrumental parts and have to admit that it is harder to remember words to songs than the notes to play.
They do get easier to remember with familiarity but it takes a while, I usually need the words to half the songs.
In many cases I only need to see the first word of a verse as a prompt, but have to have all words on display to see them.
Have to admit that the songs I don’t need them for are played with a better degree of freedom, though I did forget the words to Light My Fire once and sang the first verse four times though each in a slightly different way and got away with it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Did you mean Harvest Moon by Neil Young? If so you retained the lyrics - but forgot 50% of the title. Great track though.

Just for clarity, I meant 'Harvest' the title track from the album of the same name:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here