Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Everton are an established PL team - since 1992 they have ranged between 4th and 17th in finishes - with 14 finishes in the top half

You stated in the last 20 years, teams outside the bottom half haven't broken into it other than Leicester. Everton finished in the lower half 20 years ago and have improved into a top half team..... So this point alone has proved your original statement to be completely incorrect.

Let's go back 20 years ago and look at Everton's finishes.

98-99 - 14th
99-00 - 13th
00-01 - 16th
01-02 - 15th

Somehow you've written LOADS and proved yourself wrong in the very first line. That's quite impressive

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I haven't forgotten Hyypia,how could I?
I thought we were referring to the sacking of Mike Bailey in the old 1st Division and being replaced by Melia.

Anyway, we all know that not all appointments in ANY job are guaranteed to work out, but in this case, I have high hopes that it will.

It looks like we have been closely following Graham Potter and like what we see. If we get him and all goes well, then excellent.

If it doesn't, then, by all means, come back and give me a great big, 'I told you so'.:wink:

Nevertheless, I really do think it was time for a change and Bloom was quite right in taking decisive action in order to give the new manager as much time as possible to plan for next season.

Yes, we were but you stated that you trusted Bloom, Barber and Ashworth not to make the same mistake.

Merely pointing out that Sami was a pretty catastrophic decision and I'd also point to Garcia who, although more successful, played some very dull football.

Don't know Potter at all so can't comment but hope he works out.

Personally, I'd have stuck with Hughton for another season but given him a more solid wage and transfer structure to work with more akin to a Premier League norm.

I know that spending money is no guarantee of success but it's a pretty good guide usually.

People seem to forget that we played a pretty entertaining and attacking brand of football in the Championship so Hughton is clearly capable of it but think he was pretty hamstrung by our replacements for Murray i.e. Andone, Locadia and Ali J not working out (yet?).

Anyway don't want to get into a debate about their merits and how they were played by CH. The threads on this topic are almost as long as the Brexit thread!

I do agree, however, that, if CH had to go, this was the right time to give maximum opportunity for a new manager to bed in and assess the squad....

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think what it seems most people are overlooking in this discussion is that Chris is the first manager who has had to do the job hamstrung by a flask and bottletop ban.

Since the ban
Played 18
Won 5 (27.8%)
Drawn 5 (27.8%)
Lost 8 (44.4%)

Before the ban (premier league only)
Played 20
Won 8 (40%)
Drawn 8 (40%)
Lost 4 (20%)

That's a lot of home games :rave:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes, we were but you stated that you trusted Bloom, Barber and Ashworth not to make the same mistake.

Merely pointing out that Sami was a pretty catastrophic decision and I'd also point to Garcia who, although more successful, played some very dull football.

Don't know Potter at all so can't comment but hope he works out.

Personally, I'd have stuck with Hughton for another season but given him a more solid wage and transfer structure to work with more akin to a Premier League norm.

I know that spending money is no guarantee of success but it's a pretty good guide usually.

People seem to forget that we played a pretty entertaining and attacking brand of football in the Championship so Hughton is clearly capable of it but think he was pretty hamstrung by our replacements for Murray i.e. Andone, Locadia and Ali J not working out (yet?).

Anyway don't want to get into a debate about their merits and how they were played by CH. The threads on this topic are almost as long as the Brexit thread!

I do agree, however, that, if CH had to go, this was the right time to give maximum opportunity for a new manager to bed in and assess the squad....

Well, Ashworth is the new footy man, so let us hope his expertise and eye for talent serves him, Tone and us all, well!:thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You stated in the last 20 years, teams outside the bottom half haven't broken into it other than Leicester. Everton finished in the lower half 20 years ago and have improved into a top half team..... So this point alone has proved your original statement to be completely incorrect.

98-99 - 14th
99-00 - 13th
00-01 - 16th
01-02 - 15th

Somehow you've written LOADS and proved yourself wrong in the very first line. That's quite impressive
Never mind a few seasons at the turn of the millennium. Everton have competed in the top division for a record 116 seasons, missing the top division only four times since The Football League was created in 1888. I think that makes them very, very, very established!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Never mind a few seasons at the turn of the millennium. Everton have competed in the top division for a record 116 seasons, missing the top division only four times since The Football League was created in 1888. I think that makes them very, very, very established!

As stated, I was responding to the comment that NO ONE other than Leicester, in the last 20 years, had moved from a bottom half team to an established top half team. Nothing about their history before.

But thanks anyway.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He also claimed they were an established PL team.

Right.......

That still has nothing to do with his original comment that no one other than Leicester has broken into the top half of them prem in the last 20 years. 20 years ago Everton weren't in the top half of them prem. This year, there were.

I don't understand why this is so difficult.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
An underperforming employee who was very well rewarded for the job has been moved on and will be suitably compensated, why does that mean we’re not a community club anymore?! Some people need to get a grip.
He kept a club with one of the smallest budgets in the PL - and using players bought by others in the background - in the PL - and he got sacked for doing his job and getting it done.

Bloom has given far more to this club, is a life long fan and is making what he believes is the best decision for the club and let’s face it, he doesn’t usually make bad decisions in his business life or in his time at the club. He deserves better.
Bloom is a billionaire - how do you think he made his money?

He made/makes it by exploiting people with a gambling problem through his gaming websites and screwing people looking for a home.

He might be a nice guy on a personal level (I don't know - never met the guy - I have met Hughton and do know members of his family) - but he really doesn't care about the fans when push comes to shove. He owns the club as part of personal gratification. If you think otherwise you are deluded. He owns everything at the club - don't forget that. The new ground, the academy etc - they are all assets on his balance sheet.

The problem is that we are still regarded as *little old Brighton* playing way above our station.
In todays PL that is exactly what Brghton are

The narrative then goes that the only way this was possible was because of Chris Hughton.
Could another manager have got Brighton promoted - possibly, you could even say probably - although very many clubs have tried and failed. Hughton did get Brighton promoted - and kept the club in the PL for two seasons. Given the resources he had available that is a massive achievement.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He made/makes it by exploiting people with a gambling problem through his gaming websites and screwing people looking for a home.

Ooft. Also isn't most of his property Business / Commercial property ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

98-99 - 14th
99-00 - 13th
00-01 - 16th
01-02 - 15th

Everton have won the title on 9 occasions in their history - the FA cup 4 times - the European Cup Winners Cup in 1985 -

And - why didn't you go back another couple of years when they were in the bottom half - of course then you would have to include their 6th place finish in 95-96. Everton were one of the established teams who struggled adapting to the Sky dominance of British football. Prior to that they were a comfortable top 10 team and even won the title twice in the 1980s. They didn't break out of the bottom half of the division as if there were permanently ensconced there - they are an established club that are a fixture in the PL.

There is zero comparison between what Everton have done and where they are now - and where Brighton are. There is serious delusions of grandeur going on here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oh yea - as if this has zero impact on domestic housing or the wages people get paid - jeez

What?

Next you'll be blaming him for Global Warming because he lives in Australia

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Everton have won the title on 9 occasions in their history - the FA cup 4 times - the European Cup Winners Cup in 1985 -

Oh my god.

You were SPECIFICALLY talking about the last 20 years. TWENTY. 1999 if that helps you.

Not 116 years, not 1985, not 1927.

This really isn't difficult. Your statement that NO TEAM other than Leicester in the last TWENTY YEARS (SINCE 1999) has emerged from a bottom half team to a top half team was factually inaccurate. You made a statement, as fact, and it was wrong. Get over it.

However, you are EXCELLENT on Wikipedia. Keep up the good work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He kept a club with one of the smallest budgets in the PL - and using players bought by others in the background - in the PL - and he got sacked for doing his job and getting it done.

Bloom is a billionaire - how do you think he made his money?

He might be a nice guy on a personal level (I don't know - never met the guy - I have met Hughton and do know members of his family) - but he really doesn't care about the fans when push comes to shove. He owns the club as part of personal gratification. If you think otherwise you are deluded. He owns everything at the club - don't forget that. The new ground, the academy etc - they are all assets on his balance sheet.

In todays PL that is exactly what Brghton are

Could another manager have got Brighton promoted - possibly, you could even say probably - although very many clubs have tried and failed. Hughton did get Brighton promoted - and kept the club in the PL for two seasons. Given the resources he had available that is a massive achievement.

You have literally no idea what Starlizard (Bloom’s company) does, do you ? Do some research before throwing accusations about.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

You ****ing idiot. You literally don't have a clue do you?

A bit of research would have been prudent before you come on here to criticise. Now nobody is going to give credence to a single word you say, if they did before.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You have literally no idea what Starlizard (Bloom’s company) does, do you ? Do some research before throwing accusations about.

Yes I do -

Bloom initially made his money from online betting companies and online poker sites - he then got involved with vulture funds. This is the basis of his wealth - online gambling and property speculation.

Starlizard is primarily designed to manipulate gambling in Asia - selling information to others and using the chaotic Asia gambling scene to hide large betting patterns. Most of his wealth is now found in vulture funds (another form of gambling).

Trying to make out that Bloom is some sort of clean cut guy who stumbled into his fortune is nonsense. Nobody make a billion without a lot of people being screwed in the process.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The defence of Hughton and criticism of Bloom from the media and a lot of fans is getting ridiculous. Some wet wipe on Albion Unlimited tonight said something stupid like they can’t believe how we’ve treated poor Chris, they thought we were a family, community club and after years of supporting the club they’re disgusted. WTF?!

An underperforming employee who was very well rewarded for the job has been moved on and will be suitably compensated, why does that mean we’re not a community club anymore?! Some people need to get a grip.

Bloom has given far more to this club, is a life long fan and is making what he believes is the best decision for the club and let’s face it, he doesn’t usually make bad decisions in his business life or in his time at the club. He deserves better.

Kept us up. Play-offs. Promotion. Kept us up. Kept us up. You're an embarrassment.

Want to see an 'underperforming employee'? look at no-goals Ali J.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here