Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sake.

If you do something FOR the racial joke then rightly that should be criticised and the shit will come your way.

If you do something innocently, and people then find a (non-intended) racial element then SURELY you point it out, do a standard "Whoops, that clearly wasn't the angle I was going for, sorry if somehow anyone thought it was" and move on.

I saw the picture and my mind didn't even THINK of a racial element cos, you know.

****ing nonsense.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Broadcaster Danny Baker says he has been "fired" over his "stupid unthinking gag" on Twitter about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's new baby.

The now deleted tweet, which has been circulated on social media, showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital".

The 5 live presenter was accused of mocking the duchess's racial heritage.

Baker said: "Just got fired from @bbc5live."

The BBC has not yet confirmed his tweet.

Harry and Meghan, whose mother Doria Ragland is African American, revealed on Wednesday their new son was named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.

After an initial backlash on social media, he said: "Sorry my gag pic of the little fella in the posh outfit has whipped some up. Never occurred to me because, well, mind not diseased.

"Soon as those good enough to point out it's possible connotations got in touch, down it came. And that's it."

The 61-year-old presents a weekend show on 5Live.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It was racist post can’t believe some of the twaddle on here. All decent football fans want to see racism and homophobia (especially us) removed from the game. Deserved the sack he hates Albion all good #****

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Well there’s my Saturday morning listening on the trips down to the Amex gone.

Will no doubt be replaced by the normal boring R5 weekend shite.

The permanently offended on social media really piss me off, as do the BBC for being so feeble in response.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Generally like the bloke... but this was spectacularly stupid and completely inexcusable. Anyone sober even to tweet who spent more than a nano-second thinking about it would see the very offensive connotations.

Indeed.

People defending him are basing their defence of him on their past experience / opinions of the man, rather than the actual post in question.

Massively stupid - obviously offensive (INTENT doesn't define whether something IS offensive) - and clearly not acceptable from an employee of the national broadcaster :shrug:

Imagine the (understandable) reaction, if Katie Hopkins had posted a picture of a couple with a baby chimp, in this context?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The BBC is a snivelling coward to the social media beast. Where is the backbone of their management? Why do they have nobody who says 'I don't care about your moral outrage. I trust the motives of my staff?' Sir Hugh Greene will be spinning in his grave.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Indeed.

People defending him are basing their defence of him on their past experience / opinions of the man, rather than the actual post in question.

Massively stupid - obviously offensive (INTENT doesn't define whether something IS offensive) - and clearly not acceptable from an employee of the national broadcaster :shrug:

Imagine the (understandable) reaction, if Katie Hopkins had posted a picture of a couple with a baby chimp, in this context?

I would suggest that fact the photo wasn’t deemed offensive when he tweeted it on previous royal births but is now is more to do with how the people offended’s minds work rather than DB’s. Perhaps they are the racist ones linking a monkey with a mixed race baby?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it's karma for wishing ill on the Albion. Serves him right.

Just like lots of fans (myself included), he wishes ill on LOADS of clubs, not just BHA. He despises Palace, so he can't be all bad.

Pathetic that he's been sacked over this. It was just a badly judged tweet, which he swiftly removed. But the professionally offended have to have their pound of flesh I suppose.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BBC article updated:

A BBC spokesperson said: "This was a serious error of judgment."

The corporation added that Baker's tweet "goes against the values we as a station aim to embody.

"Danny's a brilliant broadcaster but will no longer be presenting a weekly show with us."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an initial backlash on social media, Baker said: "Sorry my gag pic of the little fella in the posh outfit has whipped some up. Never occurred to me because, well, mind not diseased.

"Soon as those good enough to point out its possible connotations got in touch, down it came. And that's it."

The 61-year-old presented a weekend show on 5Live.

Earlier, Baker told his half a million followers on Twitter that he has been doorstepped by reporters at his home, saying he was asked: "Do you think black people look like monkeys?"

His tweet added: "No mate. Gag pic. Posh baby chimp. Alerted to circs. Appalled. Deleted. Apologised."

In a following tweet, he added: "Would have used same stupid pic for any other Royal birth or Boris Johnson kid or even one of my own. It's a funny image. (Though not of course in that context.) Enormous mistake, for sure. Grotesque.

"Anyway, here's to ya Archie, Sorry mate."

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Indeed.

You've taken the incident out of context. He has an ongoing gag with monkeys dressed as famous people, Katie Hopkins does not.

As The Clamps says, the outrage is from people coming to DB for the first time. Unfortunately for Danny he didn't pick up on the racial overtones that would be implied in his post. As he said, stupid and unthinking. And now he has been thrown to the wolves because of it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not offended, but at a time we still have bananas being thrown onto football pitches, it seems massively stupid.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think this might be the third time DB has been sacked by the beeb ? It's a very fine line that people in the media tread these days and its incredibly easy to be brought down by the " Outraged " once they get a head of steam going.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Obviously you've forgotten the very real role he had in highlighting our plight back in 1997.
I have not forgotten that and I am grateful. I had my tongue firmly in cheek. I like him.
Just like lots of fans (myself included), he wishes ill on LOADS of clubs, not just BHA. He despises Palace, so he can't be all bad.

Pathetic that he's been sacked over this. It was just a badly judged tweet, which he swiftly removed. But the professionally offended have to have their pound of flesh I suppose.
True. I am of the opinion that he was ill advised but I don't think he's a racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here