Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
No drinks thus far, but avoiding the pub. That can't carry on, so going to have to be doubly determined when I do later this week.

www.alcoholexperiment.com proving very interesting and useful btw - so thanks for the recommendation [MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION]

Yes thanks is for that- good website and daily emails with info. She also has a book and a podcast titled ‘This Naked Mind’ which I have found very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
No drinks thus far, but avoiding the pub. That can't carry on, so going to have to be doubly determined when I do later this week.

www.alcoholexperiment.com proving very interesting and useful btw - so thanks for the recommendation [MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION]

and thanks to [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] for mentioning it to me in the first place! I take no credit here.

I'm on Day 6 and finding it very interesting learning what a shit-shambles our poor old monkey brain makes of alcohol... and also the attitudes to drinking and 'addiction'. Her latest talk is about the perception of drinking too much in the view of others. Nobody thinks you're 'weak' or to be pitied and marginalised if you smoke 40 a day, nor do they if you eat a tray of doughnuts or six Big Macs at once - but drinking heavily carries a huge stigma, so people hide their drinking habits from others and are reluctant to face up to it. The term 'alcoholic' is viewed so negatively that people run a mile from the thought.

The facts are that only 10% of heavy drinkers are physically dependent on alcohol. The rest of us, me included, can educate ourselves and then make the choice. This is what the 'alcohol experiment' is all about. Educating yourself as to how your brain and body react to large and regular amounts an addictive poison (which is exactly what alcohol is, the little tinker..).

I'm certainly not saying I'll never drink again, but learning all this stuff is very interesting and ultimately will make me drink less for sure. For the record, I love wine, beer and spirits and have done since I was about 17. I'm no evangelist, and I certainly don't judge. I do have to say though, that the times I have quit drinking have been some of the times I've felt like someone has removed a bag of cotton wool from my head. I feel so much more alert, focused and generally brighter.

Have a look, it's totally free to do and doesn't take up much time. Maybe 15-20 mins a day, most of which is watching videos of a woman talking (or talking to someone) - so it's easy. :smile:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is no longer 'dry' January.

It's now "Don't drink beer apart from the Liverpool game and a friends meet up the weekend after, maybe have the occasional single G&T (Slimline) on a Friday or saturday eve January"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
and thanks to [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] for mentioning it to me in the first place! I take no credit here.

I'm on Day 6 and finding it very interesting learning what a shit-shambles our poor old monkey brain makes of alcohol... and also the attitudes to drinking and 'addiction'. Her latest talk is about the perception of drinking too much in the view of others. Nobody thinks you're 'weak' or to be pitied and marginalised if you smoke 40 a day, nor do they if you eat a tray of doughnuts or six Big Macs at once - but drinking heavily carries a huge stigma, so people hide their drinking habits from others and are reluctant to face up to it. The term 'alcoholic' is viewed so negatively that people run a mile from the thought.

I'd disagree with nearly all of that. I think, in the modern day, those who drink 40 a day are very much judged. I also think part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily.

All that said, from the stuff you've written on this thread, I think we've "enjoyed" very similar relationships with alcohol.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

The facts are that only 10% of heavy drinkers are physically dependent on alcohol. The rest of us, me included, can educate ourselves and then make the choice. This is what the 'alcohol experiment' is all about. Educating yourself as to how your brain and body react to large and regular amounts an addictive poison (which is exactly what alcohol is, the little tinker..).

I'm certainly not saying I'll never drink again, but learning all this stuff is very interesting and ultimately will make me drink less for sure. For the record, I love wine, beer and spirits and have done since I was about 17. I'm no evangelist, and I certainly don't judge. I do have to say though, that the times I have quit drinking have been some of the times I've felt like someone has removed a bag of cotton wool from my head. I feel so much more alert, focused and generally brighter.

Have a look, it's totally free to do and doesn't take up much time. Maybe 15-20 mins a day, most of which is watching videos of a woman talking (or talking to someone) - so it's easy. :smile:

I think I can honestly say the alcohol experiment has radically changed my relationship with drinking. I didn’t think I’d ever be in this much control.

You mentioned in an earlier comment that you don’t want to abstain. You don’t have to. We’re all different, and what works for me may not work for the next man, but here’s how it panned out for me.

May 2018 I started the alcohol experiment. My plan following the 30 days was to drink only when planned in advance, for occasions, and to reserve the right not to drink if I choose on the day.

July 2018 as planned I got pissed watching the Cure at Hyde Park with a mate. Happened to be the day England beat Sweden so a bit pisseder than expected...

August 2018 enjoyed some lovely wines for 2 weeks in France.

September 2018 quite a few beers on weekend break in Barcelona with mates.

October 2018 even more beers on weekend break in Amsterdam with wife & friends.

December & Christmas completely relaxed the rules completely.

2019 haven’t had a drink & don’t plan to until Easter which is birthday season. I absolutely know I will achieve this.

I still read and contribute to the forum on AE and that keeps me on target. My liver is on the mend. The threat of Type 2 Diabetes has retreated a bit. I need to start exercising now to shift the Derby once & for all. It’s all in the mind. Anyone can get back in control, you just have to decide what control looks like for you, it’ll likely be streets away from mine or anyone else’s, and make the choice.

Good luck to you & anyone else giving it a go.

As a side note to anyone hearing premature self congratulation in my words, I’m very aware I’m only 8 months into this and there are years of unknown ahead of me, but I’m winning now and intend to continue winning!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This thread reminds me of the old joke about how can you tell whether someone is a vegan; don't worry, give them 10 minutes and they'll tell you. Nothing worse than being out with friends and someone rains on the parade by announcing how virtuous they've become with their lime and soda...

I actually find the opposite! I often get a soft drink when out with friends and am them interrogated as to why I am not drinking and have to justify myself.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
In our society, not having a drink in certain situations is regarded with suspicion.

A person declining the offer of a mind altering substance such as alcohol had better have a bloody good excuse.

A person declining ecstasy or cocaine or heroin will be held up as virtuous, even by heavy drinkers.

Anyone looking to improve their relationship with alcohol is fighting cultural expectations and norms, as well as their own internal struggle.

Stumpy Tim

I started reading these self-help books last year, and it's made a massive difference. As mentioned, I read Jason Vale's "Kick the Drink Easily" book and it's definitely changed my relationship with alcohol. Drinking at home is gone completely, unless we have friends over. I will typically drink when out, but tend to hit the tonic water after a few. I don't want to give up drinking completely, but I don't waste drinks now - I only drink when I want to. That's a massive change.

This relatively easy change has also led to a little weight loss too - from 82kgs to 80kgs. Not massive, but I'm not really overweight either. The biggest difference I've noticed is mental health. I have never suffered from any particular mental health issues, but I definitely feel far more positive, don't over-think things, and am generally happier.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'd disagree with nearly all of that. I think, in the modern day, those who drink 40 a day are very much judged. I also think part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily.

Conversely, I'd respectfully disagree with nearly all of that.. !!

I think you mean 40 cigarettes a day (or at least I hope you do!) and people who smoke 40 a day may indeed be judged as 'fag ash' or 'old chimney bollocks' - but nowhere near as someone who gets drunk in their own home every night, behind closed doors, almost secretively. That's way 'darker' when judged against a heavy smoker, or persistent over-eater.

As for being acceptable to be a heavy drinker, it depends. If you're the one in the pub or bar who's laughing loud and playing the arse every single night you're a 'funny bloke / hilarious bird'. If you're chugging a bottle of wine or two, plus beer, plus spirits (or whatever you drink, heavily) on your own, in your home, every single night until you pass out on the sofa - that's something you'd want to hide. It's embarrassing, and you wouldn't even want to admit that to yourself, never mind others. If you drink heavily, regularly, you know you have an issue. 100%. Wether you choose to admit it or not, it's there - like a sodding great African Elephant in the corner of the room, perched next to the lampshade, staring at you....

Some people choose not to face it, and they are the people who rail against the people who don't drink - or appear on threads like this. Fair play to them, I don't judge. I've been the same in the past. :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's all gone quiet. How's everyone doing?

Day 10 for me. I'd have loved a glass of red last night after what was, by my standards, a long day. I didn't though, and this Friday evening is passing without any craving.

I'm sleeping like shit though - something I've found before when abstaining. Science knows nothing.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Day 6 for me... my normal beer on the train relaxed by...

88bb81d742f1eff8e6e29e45a6718e8a.jpg

Go me!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Day 11 (or Day 11 AF - alcohol free - as they call it on the experiment). Not struggling but a big weekend coming up. Albion beating Liverpool will be a temptation. Saturday night out. Friends for lunch on Sunday. My plan? Be very aware of what I'm thinking. Be conscious of the triggers. It's working so far.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I decided to go with the 2 days per week of not consuming alcohol but found it easier to split those into 4 half days. Not drinking before midday 4 days per week seems to be working out ok for me.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I'm doing it for Cancer research but since I have started I've had this stupid viral sore throat +cough so has made me feel rubbish. Although today in the supermarket I felt like licking the wine bottles lol!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here