Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] View from the away end

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We have to accept VAR is here to stay and like all refereeing/officials’ decisions they will even out over the season. So far they have definitely not been in our favour. My beef about VAR is the amount of time it takes to come to a decision. With regards to yesterday’s decision surely the ref and linesman should have made the decision themselves - a sign of ineptitude maybe?
All of this. VAR might get the right decisions but it takes FAR too long and is a shambles that there's no communication about the reasoning.

Very amateurish for what is meant to be the best league in the world. More time testing and refining it was required before they rolled it out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We have to accept VAR is here to stay and like all refereeing/officials’ decisions they will even out over the season. So far they have definitely not been in our favour. My beef about VAR is the amount of time it takes to come to a decision. With regards to yesterday’s decision surely the ref and linesman should have made the decision themselves - a sign of ineptitude maybe?

VAR may cause a further decline in refereeing standards as there are fewer consequences for getting it wrong. In my view we are seeing similar in cricket.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Good evening,

Weird one today...
Although we managed to somehow get 3 points, most our fans walked away talking about the negatives from our team and how we set up and played.

I think you were all over us, with 11 men and then ten I thought you were still the better team IMO.
If it wasn’t for that silly challenge ( il admit, at first I thought it was one of ours getting sent off and didn’t seem to bad watching it live ) I think you would have comfortably won. We couldn’t handle the pressure down that left flank with Dan Burn, who I thought was immense for you today.

Anyway,
I think with how Potter has you playing you will be comfortable this season.

Here’s a photo from the away end just before kick off. Not quite as good as my one last season.

What was with the empty seats in east stand today? Is that normally like that in that part of the ground? Or just holidays / v shit opposition?

View attachment 114692

Nicely taken photo ..as was your first goal....one other thing did your manager come over after the game against Burnley as he did yesterday doing his ‘thing’? :whistle:

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Nicely taken photo ..as was your first goal....one other thing did your manager come over after the game against Burnley as he did yesterday doing his ‘thing’? :whistle:

He only does it when we win, so not very often....I think it was more of an apology at Burnley.

Bloody Ashley Barnes scoring twice against us... he would never do it in the Prem they said:wink::ffsparr:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah this - Absolutely no need to go to VAR. the goal would have been ruled out straight away last season with no complaints.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Quick but accurate view. Ref was diabolical with us not getting a VAR in your penalty area for handball and your sub who scored elbowing Montoya in the neck/throat when he was in full flight and only getting a yellow which was potentially very dangerous. I feel we were much the better side, as you highlighted, but most sensible people on NSC have taken the positives with a few trolls coming out of the woodwork on our first defeat this season. As I've alluded once or twice it feels like daylight robbery.

Just wanted a quick fact check here, the Saints sub didn’t get carded for his late ‘tackle’ on Montoya. Instead he got book for a second very late tackle a few minutes later. Or at least, that’s how I remember it. Either way, he committed two very late challenges fairly close together and the first alone was a red card offence IMO.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Good evening,

Weird one today...
Although we managed to somehow get 3 points, most our fans walked away talking about the negatives from our team and how we set up and played.

I think you were all over us, with 11 men and then ten I thought you were still the better team IMO.
If it wasn’t for that silly challenge ( il admit, at first I thought it was one of ours getting sent off and didn’t seem to bad watching it live ) I think you would have comfortably won. We couldn’t handle the pressure down that left flank with Dan Burn, who I thought was immense for you today.

Anyway,

Here’s a photo from the away end just before kick off. Not quite as good as my one last season.

What was with the empty seats in east stand today? Is that normally like that in that part of the ground? Or just holidays / v shit opposition?

View attachment 114692

My view of the match and sending off too, but though it may have been my blue tinted glasses. Very poor challenge when seen on up close though

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just wanted a quick fact check here, the Saints sub didn’t get carded for his late ‘tackle’ on Montoya. Instead he got book for a second very late tackle a few minutes later. Or at least, that’s how I remember it. Either way, he commuted two very late challenges fairly close together and the first alone was a red card offence IMO.

I do remember him having two close together but I remember thinking he shouldn't have had the opportunity to be on the pitch after his Montoya elbowing.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
I do remember him having two close together but I remember thinking he shouldn't have had the opportunity to be on the pitch after his Montoya elbowing.

It did surprise me how this wasn’t VAR checked at the time, nor even mentioned on MOTD last night, though maybe the latter isn’t that surprising.

Very questionable officiating yesterday.

66E2ECC6-CFEC-4CF8-B827-A29B6F7D6D70.jpeg

here’s the one I took last season for anybody interested. Always sunny at Brighton...at least we had some cover at the Amex

Got burnt to shit the last time we played you at withdean

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Cheers [MENTION=18605]Bowers-sfc[/MENTION]. Always welcome on here.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It did surprise me how this wasn’t VAR checked at the time, nor even mentioned on MOTD last night, though maybe the latter isn’t that surprising.

Very questionable officiating yesterday.

View attachment 114694

here’s the one I took last season for anybody interested. Always sunny at Brighton...at least we had some cover at the Amex

Got burnt to shit the last time we played you at withdean

There's no space on this board for such even-handed and decent people like you Bowers :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Good evening,

Weird one today...

Anyway,

View attachment 114692

A more diplomatic view than from my saints friend who texted

“Yes we were sh*t but you couldn’t score and were sh*Tter”, which I couldn’t argue with, to be fair

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Can you cast any light on why there was a clear zone of about 25 seats in the middle of the away stand for much of the first half? It was about half way up behind the goal. Assuming someone made some sort of mess???

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Can you cast any light on why there was a clear zone of about 25 seats in the middle of the away stand for much of the first half? It was about half way up behind the goal. Assuming someone made some sort of mess???

I’d guess player/club tickets. But I don’t know for sure, normally see quite a few of the players families in the away end, but I only saw kenzie benali yesterday ( if you don’t know, google it )

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

View attachment 114696

Coach broke down?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Or what they have been instructed
to do. I don’t get this crap about Lino’s not putting their flags up for offside too!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Good evening,

Weird one today...

Anyway,

View attachment 114692

This is easy. Firstly a great pic and secondly can't argue with any of the posts regarding the match. This is all to friendly!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here