Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old Bury

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Previous owner clearly an absolute bell, for a ridiculous approach and massive unsustainable spend. But the new prick, who purchased the club for £1 (and took on the majority of the debt) should absolutely not be trusted.

Look at Kieran’s write up. Full of confusion and uncertainty. For me, I’m of the opinion that the prick owner, who does not care a bit about football, is going to steal the ground FOR ONE POUND and sell it on. If you look at the CVA, it appears like he is due a percentage of whatever is recovered by the administrators. Based on the terms of the CVA, all creditors get a quarter of what they are owed, assuming anything is recovered. So, if the ground is sold, all the creditors get up to 25% of their debt repaid from the proceeds. It’s actually unclear who owns the bulk of the debt, now, but a cynic would assume DALE is going to be a key beneficiary.

The pricks running the League let this absolute **** buy the club for £1, who probably had no way of funding the club, but worse, they have allowed this scenario where he can [probably] personally profit enormously from the crisis.

Please note that the above is simply my opinion. The fact Stephen Dale is a **** is entirely coincidental.

http://priceoffootball.com/bury-minutes-to-midnight/

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The PL is its own product now. They'd see no benefit in taking responsibility for 72 other clubs, who they could never successfully market. Yes the Championship IS a fantastic league, but only to a fairly parochial market. Nobody in China, the US or other European markets will give a fig about the English 2nd tier. Its not a viable product to sell, and if Sky didn't bolt it on to its overall football package, we'd barely see it. It doesn't matter how good their marketing team is, you can't sell 2nd division football or lower to a large TV audience, it just doesn't sell.

By rights, the FA and the EFL should step up and get some more effective processes in place to try to stop clubs like Bury going to the wall. But each football club is an independent business, and like any business some are run well and some are run badly. There's only so much that can be done by the authorities.

True Easy, but who in China gave a shite about Tottenham in the 60s? Or the 90s? The Premier League is a marketing construct, just like everything. Why are the historic, old and successful clubs less of a draw than Tottenham, who have never won anything significant? If we are still playing football in 100 years there is no reason it couldn’t be Tonbridge Angels at the top of the pyramid instead - part from the new walls being put up everywhere. The barrier the ‘current’ big boys are keen to erect to protect them from now on. They are on the right side by chance, by circumstance of being successful at the right moment.

Why is the PL so much more valuable around the world than the Bundesliga? Just Marketing? First mover advantage? Call it what you want but it was a genius move - if you are at the top table at whatever point the rules get changed. Of course we all hate Leeds, but why should Tottenham get away with being a ‘Big Six’ club when Leeds are historically far more successful? What is the measure, when is the cut off? It’s just marketing / promotion. Nothing else.

Scudamore should have been given a massive send off. Oh. Wait.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Once again it proves the League and or other football authorities are pointless. They’re powerless, beyond a joke. Perhaps the well run clubs should resign from, launch a new league with new governance and articles of association that includes something to the effect of preventing this sort of scenario as a condition of membership. You’re only allowed to join if you accept e.g.open book, transparency etc. Oh and no use of VAR obviously.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The trouble is if Bury are saved how long till this happens again ? It’s no good saving them if their own residents won’t go to matches and support them.
Other clubs seem to live within their means so why should others not ? They cheated their way to promotion now they have to take the consequences and start again like Aldershot and Maidstone etc

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Of course we all hate Leeds, but why should Tottenham get away with being a ‘Big Six’ club when Leeds are historically far more successful?

FA Cup wins Tottenham 8 v Leeds 1
League Cup Tottenham 4 v Leeds 1
1st Division Tottenham 2 v Leeds 3

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Previous owner clearly an absolute bell, for a ridiculous approach and massive unsustainable spend. But the new prick, who purchased the club for £1 (and took on the majority of the debt) should absolutely not be trusted.

Look at Kieran’s write up. Full of confusion and uncertainty. For me, I’m of the opinion that the prick owner, who does not care a bit about football, is going to steal the ground FOR ONE POUND and sell it on. If you look at the CVA, it appears like he is due a percentage of whatever is recovered by the administrators. Based on the terms of the CVA, all creditors get a quarter of what they are owed, assuming anything is recovered. So, if the ground is sold, all the creditors get up to 25% of their debt repaid from the proceeds. It’s actually unclear who owns the bulk of the debt, now, but a cynic would assume DALE is going to be a key beneficiary.

The pricks running the League let this absolute **** buy the club for £1, who probably had no way of funding the club, but worse, they have allowed this scenario where he can [probably] personally profit enormously from the crisis.

Please note that the above is simply my opinion. The fact Stephen Dale is a **** is entirely coincidental.

http://priceoffootball.com/bury-minutes-to-midnight/

I'm sure it's just an amazing coincidence, but if you take the first letter of each sentence of that article what does it spell?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The trouble is if Bury are saved how long till this happens again ? It’s no good saving them if their own residents won’t go to matches and support them.
Other clubs seem to live within their means so why should others not ? They cheated their way to promotion now they have to take the consequences and start again like Aldershot and Maidstone etc

Shame on you .

Football clubs are about the fans . Bury have decent fans and it will impact many lives . It’s not their fault .

Really hope this great club can survive

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

I understand your sentiments.
Bury bought their way to promotion - like all clubs do. Even us mate. In the 70’s Mike Bamber bought us promotion, and that eventually led to the 90’s.

And who is to say, if we go down this season, Uncle Tony says feck it, we will be back where we were in those awful days.

Or like Bury, Bolton, Coventry are now.

In the end, football should be about the fan base, and clubs should be a community asset.
Unfortunately, since TV took the old First Division over (now including Brighton and Hove Albion), fans are very much secondary.
There but for the grace etc.....

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
One Team Short Shirley was the name of a rock band I was in during the 70's.

How on earth did you come up with that ?
I was in a punk band in the 70’s called ‘3 feet in a shit house’.
We were looking for a band name at the time and were playing a gig at some small pokey place.
After a set, the drummer and I went for a leak, when we got to the tiny toilet the urinals were full of blokes and that left the cubicle.
We decided to stand and use it at the same time to speed things up, it was then we realised that one person could stand at the pan whilst the other had to have one foot just outside the door.
Hence, ‘3 feet in a shit house’.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You have to feel for their fans. The excitement of promotion instantly tainted by finding out the players haven't been paid. Then the manager leaves, as do many of the players. Next, they get a 12 point deduction to start next season for going into administration (CVA).

Now they await a decision as to whether they will be kicked out of the league before the season even begins. Even if that doesn't happen, their fixtures could be suspended unless they can get security/safety clearance to play home games.

So think about that while moaning about the slow transfer window.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/25/efl-warns-bury-league-one-fixtures-could-be-suspended

As this could be the day it all ends, will other clubs finally learn that you cant spend money they haven't got? Will the EFL director vetting system stretch to Googling a person trying to buy a club for a pound and seeing that all their previous directorships are clouded in mystery and financial irregularities?

I feel for the Bury fans, 20 years ago that could have been us, but what about the fans and players at the clubs who missed out on promotion because Bury went up the 'never never'?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
As this could be the day it all ends, will other clubs finally learn that you cant spend money they haven't got? Will the EFL director vetting system stretch to Googling a person trying to buy a club for a pound and seeing that all their previous directorships are clouded in mystery and financial irregularities?
'?

It’s really amazing isn’t it? Presumably the only test on the “Fit and Proper” Test is that the Director isn’t banned as a director.

I’ve never been a director of anything - who can I buy?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'm sure it's just an amazing coincidence, but if you take the first letter of each sentence of that article what does it spell?

Superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
But if the fans don’t go why should a club be saved by others ? At the end of the day all these clubs overspend and if the PL gave each of them a million they would go and spend 2 million

last season they averaged over 4k.

Not to different from us when we nearly didn't survive.

Can't agree with your thinking

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
"One Team Short Shirley"

How on earth did you come up with that ?
I was in a punk band in the 70’s called ‘3 feet in a shit house’.
We were looking for a band name at the time and were playing a gig at some small pokey place.
After a set, the drummer and I went for a leak, when we got to the tiny toilet the urinals were full of blokes and that left the cubicle.
We decided to stand and use it at the same time to speed things up, it was then we realised that one person could stand at the pan whilst the other had to have one foot just outside the door.
Hence, ‘3 feet in a shit house’.

Robert Shirley was the best footballer at our school. He played for 3 sides. The only side that actually won their league championship was Garbutt Square. They won because of playing like a team. They were the "One Team Short Shirley."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
True Easy, but who in China gave a shite about Tottenham in the 60s? Or the 90s? The Premier League is a marketing construct, just like everything. Why are the historic, old and successful clubs less of a draw than Tottenham, who have never won anything significant? If we are still playing football in 100 years there is no reason it couldn’t be Tonbridge Angels at the top of the pyramid instead - part from the new walls being put up everywhere. The barrier the ‘current’ big boys are keen to erect to protect them from now on. They are on the right side by chance, by circumstance of being successful at the right moment.

Why is the PL so much more valuable around the world than the Bundesliga? Just Marketing? First mover advantage? Call it what you want but it was a genius move - if you are at the top table at whatever point the rules get changed. Of course we all hate Leeds, but why should Tottenham get away with being a ‘Big Six’ club when Leeds are historically far more successful? What is the measure, when is the cut off? It’s just marketing / promotion. Nothing else.

Scudamore should have been given a massive send off. Oh. Wait.

Clubs that do or have played in the Premier League:

Plucky
Huddersfield
Barnsley
Swindon
Crystal Palace
Wigan
Hull
Reading
Cardiff
Swansea

There's plenty of tinpottery there, and some might even include BHA in that list. But the rules haven't changed at all. The Premier League is not a closed shop - a well-run club CAN make it through the divisions and into that top 20. Even a shit-run club can fluke it. Staying there is the trick of course, but overall there is a very healthy churn of clubs there. Personally I'm quite happy that what some clubs did 30-40 odd years ago has no real bearing on where they are now.

There IS a widening gap between the elite PL clubs and the rest, thats obviously undeniable. But what used to be considered a "big 3" (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) became a "big 4" when Chelsea got monied up, then a "big 5" when City arrived, and now we have Spurs making up whats considered our current top 6 clubs. Interlopers like Wolves and Leicester might even break into that this season and displace one or more of them, so I don't think its quite as crystallised as you make out, aside from the fact that the top 6 will probably never be relegated now.

As to why the PL is more successful than the others leagues in Europe - part of it is just brilliant marketing, but a large part of it is that its a vibrant competition. If City win it this season, that'll be the first time its been done 3 times in a row since Man Utd nearly 20 years ago. Games are mostly fast and competitive, with loads of star names and some occasional (although less frequent now) shock results. Full stadiums, compelling battles at both ends of the table, lots of historic clubs, and a slick hype-machine behind it all.

The likes of Bury will almost certainly never be a part of all that - but then I'd have said the same about us when we were playing in front of 1,200 at a dismal shithole in Kent. And you look at the teams we were rubbing shoulders with when we stayed up at Hereford, we are one of SIX clubs who went on and made it all the way to the PL. Sheffield Utd were in the third division two years ago.

Nothing is set in stone.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Clubs that do or have played in the Premier League:

Plucky
Huddersfield
Barnsley
Swindon
Crystal Palace
Wigan
Hull
Reading
Cardiff
Swansea

There's plenty of tinpottery there, and some might even include BHA in that list. But the rules haven't changed at all. The Premier League is not a closed shop - a well-run club CAN make it through the divisions and into that top 20. Even a shit-run club can fluke it. Staying there is the trick of course, but overall there is a very healthy churn of clubs there. Personally I'm quite happy that what some clubs did 30-40 odd years ago has no real bearing on where they are now.

There IS a widening gap between the elite PL clubs and the rest, thats obviously undeniable. But what used to be considered a "big 3" (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) became a "big 4" when Chelsea got monied up, then a "big 5" when City arrived, and now we have Spurs making up whats considered our current top 6 clubs. Interlopers like Wolves and Leicester might even break into that this season and displace one or more of them, so I don't think its quite as crystallised as you make out, aside from the fact that the top 6 will probably never be relegated now.

As to why the PL is more successful than the others leagues in Europe - part of it is just brilliant marketing, but a large part of it is that its a vibrant competition. If City win it this season, that'll be the first time its been done 3 times in a row since Man Utd nearly 20 years ago. Games are mostly fast and competitive, with loads of star names and some occasional (although less frequent now) shock results. Full stadiums, compelling battles at both ends of the table, lots of historic clubs, and a slick hype-machine behind it all.

The likes of Bury will almost certainly never be a part of all that - but then I'd have said the same about us when we were playing in front of 1,200 at a dismal shithole in Kent. And you look at the teams we were rubbing shoulders with when we stayed up at Hereford, we are one of SIX clubs who went on and made it all the way to the PL. Sheffield Utd were in the third division two years ago.

Nothing is set in stone.

I agree with all of that. I was referring to the point that almost nobody outside of teams involved are interested in the Championship. The Premier League has been a huge success internationally because of all the points you make, but most of those are also true of the Championship - albeit not so many star names, however one might gauge that. I'm just saying that the PL got first mover advantage in the 90's, by developing a slick 'product' and hyping it endlessly. It then started feeding itself to make it ever more successful.

Of course, that attraction is largely based on the top 5/6 clubs now, but that's only because they've been marketed heavily. Nobody really cared about most of them 40 years ago.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The EFL said in a statement on Friday: “As of 5pm there has been limited progress made either by the current ownership providing the required evidence in regard to outstanding financial information, or through a change of control being achieved with new owners.”

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here