Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see that Ian Holloway says that the EU is to blame for the handball rule and we need to have Brexit to get rid of it.

There you go; people wanted to know the advantages of Brexit, that's a big one :lolol:

Yes, I'm losing faith in VAR so if leaving the EU is the only way then I'm all for October 31st. About the same time Chelsea should be starting their journey out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't remember what newspaper I saw it in but one contributor made a distinction between Leavers and Brexiteers.

The Leavers voted leave in the referendum, thinking that the government would negotiate a deal and plan an orderly exit. They are horrified at the total mess that the government has made of things.

Brexiteers voted leave in the referendum, just wanting to get out. They don't care that the government has made a mess of things, they just want to leave ... even without (or even, especially without) a deal.

I think it's a useful distinction - there are definitely both types on here

I agree and I know you voted to leave.

D

Deleted member 22389

No, that isn't my answer. I was still in bed using my Ipad when I replied and hadn't had enough time to look for where I'd read it.

This article shows quite a few of the pitfalls.
1. People who are retired won't have five years employment records to show. There are people who have lived here since the 1940s who came here after the war.
2. People who are self employed
3. There is only an online record, and no document showing settled status so for future jobs, there may well be a problem.
4. People who are stay at home parents or carers who won't have an employment record.

There are comments in this article of some of the difficulties people are facing. The director of Ofsted was refused because he didn't show evidence from 2013 despite the app only requiring 5 years.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/02/06/warning-lights-flashing-over-eu-settled-status-app

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/...n_(EU_Withdrawal)_Bill/09-0_2019-03-05a.328.3

I ask the Minister: how is that fair? In the event of no deal, the Government are proposing to reduce the time that people have to apply for settled status. The process of registering 3 million people is already a challenge, and some people believe it might be beyond the Home Office. With less time comes greater risk of mistakes, so why are the Government reducing the means of appeal?

We are talking about a finite number of people who have already been subject to two and a half years of uncertainty. It is worth remembering that about 100 EEA citizens were erroneously threatened with deportation by the Home Office in 2017. Is it really fair to anybody that we are expected to trust the Home Office to mark its own homework? An accessible right of appeal under any terms on which we exit the European Union would provide much-needed reassurance to EU nationals.

1) when I registered my mum for settled status, the system knew my mum was getting state pension so there was no requirement to show five years employment.

D

Deleted member 22389

As I pointed out in my other post, the settled status is online only. There is no physical document.
In May a couple returning from holiday were refused entry onto a BA flight because border force officials hadn't got a clue what they were doing.

It took 24 hours, seven phone calls to the Home Office and others and the intervention of their Liberal Democrat MP, Layla Moran, before BA let them on the plane.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...scheme-doesnt-work-say-couple-held-at-airport

There is an official document you can print off.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
aec.jpg

Christ I don't know how I'm gonna sleep tonight. Am in bits.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I can't remember what newspaper I saw it in but one contributor made a distinction between Leavers and Brexiteers.

The Leavers voted leave in the referendum, thinking that the government would negotiate a deal and plan an orderly exit. They are horrified at the total mess that the government has made of things.

Brexiteers voted leave in the referendum, just wanting to get out. They don't care that the government has made a mess of things, they just want to leave ... even without (or even, especially without) a deal.

But 'the leavers' never imagined that the government would also go into those negotiations having taken the default position of leaving with a no deal off the table. We were never going to get a good deal once that happened.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
As the 31 October looms, the prophecies of doom and gloom promulgated by the remainer lobby are getting ever more wilder. Thankfully most of the population are made of stronger stuff and are having none of it, we've heard it all before.

Personally, I prefer a deal to be done, but if not, the default position has always been to leave without a deal, MP's knew this when they voted overwhelmingly to trigger article 50.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But 'the leavers' never imagined that the government would also go into those negotiations having taken the default position of leaving with a no deal off the table. We were never going to get a good deal once that happened.

Or agreeing with the EU not to discuss a trade deal. In all this talk about whether or not we leave with a deal it is important to remember that the Government has made no attempt to negotiate the very deal that is most important. I wonder why....

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

As above. There has been no attempt by Theresa May’s Government to negotiate the trade deal that was discussed at the time of the Referendum. Once those talks begin we can make a judgement on whether or not the deal is good or bad. The discussion on the merits of the exit deal is all smoke and mirrors without talks on a trade deal. Deliberate strategy by Remainer May.

Jan 30, 2008
I do find the fact that the three amigos, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION], [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] are now lined up fair and square alongside [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] backing Johnson and his 'no deal' a little amusing.

They have gradually been forced into a position none of them wanted to be in, because it has become clear that the 'good deal' that they were sold by the Leave campaign, doesn't and has never existed, and the simple choice has been between Customs Union (or Vassal State !) or 'No deal' and an Irish border all along. (Who could have seen that coming ???)

As I said, that is a little amusing, but what is f***ing hilarious is that the dribbling moron Ppf hasn't changed his position in the last 3 years, but they have all changed theirs to align with him. Maybe they could have saved themselves a lot of time, typing and embarrassment if they had just listened to his erudite case for 'no deal' from the very beginning :laugh:

Oh dear Watford bloke throwing his toys out of the pram again as the reality of what i told him slowly sinks in despite all his efforts to discredit even claiming a Norway soft Brexit was going to happen
As i've told another poster I'd cut you some slack but you're just another pompous know it all
Regards
DR

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What are you talking about? It's not been taken off the table, it's our default position if no agreement has been reached by 31 October, unless there's another extension.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
As the 31 October looms, the prophecies of doom and gloom promulgated by the remainer lobby are getting ever more wilder. Thankfully most of the population are made of stronger stuff and are having none of it, we've heard it all before.
Personally, I prefer a deal to be done, but if not, the default position has always been to leave without a deal, MP's knew this when they voted overwhelmingly to trigger article 50.

I seriously doubt if most of the population even understand the repercussions of no deal. Many of them seem to think it will be a doddle and believe a lot of bullshit promulgated by brexit politicians, and supporters.. As for made of 'stronger stuff', the police had to put out a statement asking the public not to call them because KFC ran out of chicken. Not so sure about 'stronger stuff'.

Jan 30, 2008

Yep , the frothing and bile is reaching epic proportions , marvalous scene's its a shame to thnk that "highly educated" people could be so THICK
regards
DR

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

This is pretty feeble, to be honest.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I seriously doubt if most of the population even understand the repercussions of no deal. Many of them seem to think it will be a doddle and believe a lot of bullshit promulgated by brexit politicians, and supporters.. As for made of 'stronger stuff', the police had to put out a statement asking the public not to call them because KFC ran out of chicken. Not so sure about 'stronger stuff'.

I see the intellectual snobbery/superiority complex of the Remainer lobby has continued unabated since I last looked at this thread.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I seriously doubt if most of the population even understand the repercussions of no deal. Many of them seem to think it will be a doddle and believe a lot of bullshit promulgated by brexit politicians, and supporters.. As for made of sterner stuff, the police had to put out a statement asking the public not to call them because KFC ran out of chicken. Not so sure about 'sterner stuff'.
That is why perhaps the only solution is to experience the *no deal - no meal* Brexit... and then everyone can see the catastrophe.

It'll then take a monumental effort to fix it asap and probably a lot of begging and grovelling to get to a quick position allowing for a vote on either EFTA/EEA Brexit or actually rejoining.

And then the court cases can start to get redress for the loss of life.

Jan 30, 2008

How would you know Dave you don't live here???:dunce::dunce:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here