Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m a car driver, who very occasionally rides a bike.

All the problems I see on the roads are from idiots and the elderly myopic, ‘driving’ multi tonne missiles.

I’ve never got upset about cyclists or motorcyclists making better progress than me when driving in slow traffic, instead I make room for them in advance. By contrast to that, motorcyclists have told me they’ve had quite frightening manoeuvring by vehicle drivers, trying to harm them at speed.

It can only boil down to the green eyed monster and some pretty sick drivers.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
6678DFB1-3AA2-40D9-8656-AFBFFB56A886.jpeg

This did amuse me the other day... (this guy was the 4th in about 2 minutes)

Pickles

May 5, 2014
View attachment 111670

This did amuse me the other day... (this guy was the 4th in about 2 minutes)

Don't worry too much, I'm sure that Stat bor will be along soon to preach to everyone that the sign and barrier are too close for the cyclist to pass safely.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Like I'm supposed to what ? Hang back behind them because Lycra Larry wants to take up the whole road while he's having his conversation ? He wasn't overtaking the other guy, he was literally cycling in the middle of the road chatting to him. There was no way safely past him, so everyone just had to trundle along to HIS pace until we reached the roundabout.

Sorry, but thats just bloody rude. I'm also a cyclist, and it would not even occur to me to do that.

Sorry, my point was that cycling two abreast is in the Highway Code and is generally safer. Having said that I don't know the specific road you're talking about and it may not be the case in that instance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
More arrogant and selfish cycling here, watch from 2 minutes:-

Reminds me of when I had the temerity to indicate right and stop in the centre of the road waiting for a single car on the other carriageway to pass before making the manoeuvre, and was subject to a tirade of abuse by the car that had to wait behind me (who was some half a mile back at the start of the manoeuvre). I do think there is something to be said for some mandatory cycling for drivers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, my point was that cycling two abreast is in the Highway Code and is generally safer. Having said that I don't know the specific road you're talking about and it may not be the case in that instance.

The road in question is:-

0.447 miles in length.
It would take 1:37 minutes to cycle the entirety at 16.56mph.
It would take 40 seconds to drive it at 40 mph.

But, there's the bridge, which makes that section of the road almost impassable.
So without the bridge section the road is:-

0.318 miles in length.
1.06 minutes by bike at 16.56mph
28 seconds by car at 40 mph

But there's a right turn straight after the bridge with all the necessary road furniture
So without the bridge or traffic island the road is:-

0.288 miles long
0.59 seconds by bike at 16.56 mph
0.24 seconds by car at 40 mph.

You can now see why [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] is justified in calling other human beings vermin because of the choice of sunglasses.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
[emoji605][emoji609][emoji597][emoji598][emoji592][emoji594][emoji595][emoji600][emoji604][emoji590][emoji577][emoji602][emoji603][emoji924][emoji576]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The road in question is:-

0.447 miles in length.
It would take 1:37 minutes to cycle the entirety at 16.56mph.
It would take 40 seconds to drive it at 40 mph.

But, there's the bridge, which makes that section of the road almost impassable.
So without the bridge section the road is:-

0.318 miles in length.
1.06 minutes by bike at 16.56mph
28 seconds by car at 40 mph

But there's a right turn straight after the bridge with all the necessary road furniture
So without the bridge or traffic island the road is:-

0.288 miles long
0.59 seconds by bike at 16.56 mph
0.24 seconds by car at 40 mph.

You can now see why [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] is justified in calling other human beings vermin because of the choice of sunglasses.

Oh do give it a rest, you relentless holier-than-thou prig. If a post on here eats away at you to this extent, then perhaps do us both a favour and do a Harry Wilsons Tackle eh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh do give it a rest, you relentless holier-than-thou prig. If a post on here eats away at you to this extent, then perhaps do us both a favour and do a Harry Wilsons Tackle eh.

I am completely in agreement with you that the cyclist should have done what is perceived to be the right thing (whether it is or not)

I just don't agree that the potential 35 seconds in question warrants such a tirade, esp not from a poster who comes over as considerably more intelligent than most.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Reminds me of when I had the temerity to indicate right and stop in the centre of the road waiting for a single car on the other carriageway to pass before making the manoeuvre, and was subject to a tirade of abuse by the car that had to wait behind me (who was some half a mile back at the start of the manoeuvre). I do think there is something to be said for some mandatory cycling for drivers.

I'm assuming you'd want some mandatory horse riding lessons for cyclists and drivers too then?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
To enforce cyclists to use the cycle lanes by law they would have to be legally safe to use...hahahahahaha good luck waiting for that to happen when its the place all the drains, manhole covers, water and gas access points are placed randomly to make your journey more eventful. They would also have to keep it clear of all the debris and crap thrown into it by cars/trucks.

and also make country numpties like me more aware of them (Was called a see you next tuesday by a cyclist when I wandered into the cycle lane at Hove Lagoon, oblivious to its existence!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here