Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have come to the conclusion that Chris is actually a poor communicator which he hides by saying nothing and changing nothing. He has a performance model that never varies and a pre-match, post match set of comments that never varies apart from the names. Everything he says and does follows the same script and pattern. How many times have the great and the good of NSC parodied his words. Apart from changing the names and perhaps including 'surprised', I wonder if he took this statement out of a drawer from previous sackings. Full marks for creating this persona, but it eventually wears thin and appeals only to those who don't have to work with it every day, hence the love fest outside of Brighton. However I am grateful for what he achieved with us.

Alf Ramsey was the same. Most certainly. Ramsey had a voice for interview. BUT back in the real world he was a working class lad who knew how to talk to the players.

One should never assume the public persona is the same as the workplace persona.

Maureen was (once) the most captivating interviewee, and yet he seems to have the anti-midus touch (everything turns to shit) with respect to player management.

It's a funny old game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All I'd like to know is how, if Chris was surprised by this decision, there were clearly a number ITK the day before- even about who the intended replacement was.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I genuinely didn’t see any ITHK type posts on Sunday or indeed till the news broke on Monday that he was being sacked!
[MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] started a thread about Potter before the season had ended. Whether that was based on ITK, a decent betting tip, intuition or intrigue I really don’t know. But the thread was there.

Am also fairly certain that Trollope wasn’t about to make any long term plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe he thought he could rebuild from the disastrous signings made by TB and Co.. Given a chance the following season as he achieved all of his goals....

You keep saying that without any evidence being offered. In fact another staunch Hughton defender [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] has contradicted you directly on this thread.

I say again, if you’re connected to CH then pack it in as you’re not doing him any favours with this continued speculation. If you’re a mischievous fan of a rival I’d be even more careful what you post....

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] started a thread about Potter before the season had ended. Whether that was based on ITK, a decent betting tip, intuition or intrigue I really don’t know. But the thread was there.

[MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] was reporting that he received a text during the Manchester City game to say that Hughton was being sacked and that Potter was taking over.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
[MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] was reporting that he received a text during the Manchester City game to say that Hughton was being sacked and that Potter was taking over.

Paul Hayward, Andy Naylor, Henry Winter and others (some of which have sources very close to Hughton) have all reported that Hughton had no idea he was being sacked when called into a meeting at Lancing at 9am on that monday morning. All a bit moot now but there you are.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is what I think too.
I really am still 50/50 and I do feel sorry for him.
His remit must have been keep us in The PL, he did that and an FA Cup semi final, enough to keep his job I would have thought.
But since Christmas we have been crap, the Newcastle game was the one that finished me off and it was getting embarrassing.
Other teams knew how to play us and we changed nothing and we had no pace.
But where he really went wrong was the pre and post match interviews, he belittled the players and the club, but I don't think he meant to, it certainly made my piss boil and aslo Tony Bloom.
You don't do that when the boss is a massive fan.

This. I think Chris at the end became a parody of himself. Every pre and post match interview was the same, " they have real quality ", " they can hurt you ". It was all about how brilliant the opposition were, he even said the same before the home game with Huddersfield telling everyone they were a great team. After the man city game he actually said basically, bhafc were crap and had no chance, he said, " the better teams might be able to do this and that but not us " He also said before the man city fa cup game, we had no chance in hell of winning. He became scared of his own shadow, Would this have changed next season ? Would we suddenly start attacking and not being in awe of teams ? I doubt it. Even if we signed Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo this summer Hughton would have had them defending a 0 0. It hurts as he is such a lovely man and decent human being but it had to be done

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought CH was here for the long haul, to build his dynasty a la Fergie/Wenger/Shankly etc., so I was surprised when he was sacked. NSC in general was surprised - even the gist of the typical Hughton-outer post was 'Hughton must go - but Bloom won't sack him'. The appearance of a Potter thread pre-sacking is an interesting anomaly, but I doubt if Hughton was reading NSC and thinking 'oo-er, something's up'. So, if Hughton said he was surprised, then he was surprised - and all the bollox about he couldn't or shouldn't have been surprised is just a load of f***wittery to me.
He said he was surprised, so he was; end of.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. I think Chris at the end became a parody of himself. Every pre and post match interview was the same, " they have real quality ", " they can hurt you ". It was all about how brilliant the opposition were, he even said the same before the home game with Huddersfield telling everyone they were a great team. After the man city game he actually said basically, bhafc were crap and had no chance, he said, " the better teams might be able to do this and that but not us " He also said before the man city fa cup game, we had no chance in hell of winning. He became scared of his own shadow, Would this have changed next season ? Would we suddenly start attacking and not being in awe of teams ? I doubt it. Even if we signed Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo this summer Hughton would have had them defending a 0 0. It hurts as he is such a lovely man and decent human being but it had to be done

Tellingly for me - I can’t find the direct quote but I think it was after the Arsenal game - he gave a very clear indication that he expected next season to be ‘more of the same’....I recall it sounded very negative. Almost a kind of ‘we know our place, we’re bottom feeders and always going to be’ resignation to being in a relegation battle and needing to play bus-parking football.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Paul Hayward, Andy Naylor, Henry Winter and others (some of which have sources very close to Hughton) have all reported that Hughton had no idea he was being sacked when called into a meeting at Lancing at 9am on that monday morning. All a bit moot now but there you are.

A random text sent out at 1426 on May 12th (just before kick off of Man City game) stated ...

I've just heard this is Hughton's last game there is talks of Graham Potter from Swansea have you heard of anything ?

So either the journalists you list are as dim as you are in the role of club apologist or it wasn't quite the surprise it was made out to be

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A random text sent out at 1426 on May 12th (just before kick off of Man City game) stated ...

I've just heard this is Hughton's last game there is talks of Graham Potter from Swansea have you heard of anything ?

So either the journalists you list are as dim as you are in the role of club apologist or it wasn't quite the surprise it was made out to be

They reported that Hughton didn’t know Ernie. Presumably you think he’s dim too.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Just re read that 9th May, lm now slightly more convinced the club knew exactly what they were doing and so did an alarming amount of outsiders too [emoji106]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who was this text to, and where's this information come from (I presume it's been discussed here before, but I've not seen it)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here