Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well if it weren't for him Hughton would still be in a job and that's a FACT.

Sure it's not a true fact but it is, nevertheless, a FACT.

And he has failed to deliver Brexit. Fact.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He is director of everything football related, so oversees everything that happens in every age group from the coaches involved to the signing of players to such age groups. He will help set a club wide philosophy so the under 12's will look to develop a squad that plays the way we want them to in the 1st team and that will be replicated across every age group.

Wasn't that what Poyet was trying to do here before his ego got the better of him? I'm sure he said that he wanted all players ready to step up to the next level by training the same way.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Should we sack him then given you think he's evidently been a failure ?

That’s a mighty big assumption there. One that’s not true. I am pointing out, as others have done, that by his own definition, he’s a failure.

What do I think? I think that Tony knew that there would be internal ructions when he appointed him - there nearly always are when a Technical Director is appointed for the first time. Hughton has gone - he was “manager”, Potter is “Head Coach” - this change is not semantics. I think that Tony decided to pin his colours to the Ashworth mast when he appointed him, and that Hughton’s days were numbered.

With Potter bringing his recruitment man, and Ashworth (a specific part of his remit is recruitment) his boss, I think Winstanley’s days are numbered.

Do I think Ashworth should be fired? No idea. Do I think that he played an instrumental role in Hughton going? Yes - probably indirectly, possibly directly. Do I think he was a fool to make the assertion he did that I referred to? Either yes, or it was a calculated decision to say it. I rather hope he was foolish.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Perhaps Ashworth did help the first team manager stay in his job as long as possible. TB was thinking of sacking Hughton 4 weeks before the end of the season. Maybe our Dan persuaded Bloom to keep him till the end of the season?

Indeed maybe he made that very statement as replacing CH was already being talked about when he was appointed?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Indeed maybe he made that very statement as replacing CH was already being talked about when he was appointed?

On the Monday Night Club (discussed here) last night, there seemed to be agreement that as soon as Ashworth came in then Hughton's days were numbered as Ashworth would want a younger more progressive manager/coach.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the Monday Night Club (discussed here) last night, there seemed to be agreement that as soon as Ashworth came in then Hughton's days were numbered as Ashworth would want a younger more progressive manager/coach.

If that were the case Mr Hughton seemingly did very little to change that mindset.
If anything he sped up the process by picking an aging Championship side to 'fight' (defend) their way to Premier League survival.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I Have worked for several companies over the years, one, in Brighton was over 100 years old, where exactly this has happened, and the whole process kills a company, and in a small part, a community. Hence my distrust of 'consultants' they're usually employed to maximise profit and asset strip.

DA's position is clearly different, I'm sure he has good communication skills, a bursting contacts book, and offers a buffer between manager and TB. Thus far however, he was either lying about CH or things haven't quite gone as he thought.

I liken those kind of statements to the type when a company gets bought and the acquiring company says something like 'We won't be changing too much, they're a great company so they'll run as they are' and within 6 months they've been integrated, sacked everyone and re-branded.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

That's an assumption though and I'm just offering up an alternative viewpoint: maybe Ashworth was appointed as Hughton was always going to be moved on by Bloom. Rather than blaming Ashworth for Hughton's departure it would seem his appointment could be seen as evidence of Bloom's long term plans to transform the club. Why else would Bloom bring in someone that wants a younger more progressive manager/coach when we have Hughton who obviously wouldn't fit with that?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If that were the case Mr Hughton seemingly did very little to change that mindset.
If anything he sped up the process by picking an aging Championship side to 'fight' (defend) their way to Premier League survival.

Yes, I agree. Even if he knew his days were numbered, he did little to change the mindset. Sometimes however people facing what they perceive as insurmountable odds become ever more cautious (or perhaps he just thought that was the best way of achieving his goal). Sometimes they give up - witness the Watford players after the fifth went in - they just wanted the whistle blown.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I Have worked for several companies over the years, one, in Brighton was over 100 years old, where exactly this has happened, and the whole process kills a company, and in a small part, a community. Hence my distrust of 'consultants' they're usually employed to maximise profit and asset strip.

DA's position is clearly different, I'm sure he has good communication skills, a bursting contacts book, and offers a buffer between manager and TB. Thus far however, he was either lying about CH or things haven't quite gone as he thought.

There are a couple of things to consider in your last paragraph: When Ashworth was appointed we looked to be well clear of the relegation dogfight and Hughton had a very good reputation and is well respected throughout football. At the time he probably meant what he said thinking that only a few minor tweaks were needed. Things clearly didn't go as he initially thought they would.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There are a couple of things to consider in your last paragraph: When Ashworth was appointed we looked to be well clear of the relegation dogfight and Hughton had a very good reputation and is well respected throughout football. At the time he probably meant what he said thinking that only a few minor tweaks were needed. Things clearly didn't go as he initially thought they would.

Ashworth started end Feb I believe. Our run at that time since Xmas was DWDWLLDLDWLWL

Almost all of those Wins were in the FA Cup.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm unclear as the structure of the club. Does Potter and previously Hughton report into Ashworth? Does Winstanley report into the manager or are they on the same level? Is Barber Ashworth and Potters boss?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry if this fixtures, but I was just wondering what is the role he has as a technical director? I have also seen him receive a large amount of praise every time he is mentioned, how come he is so well respected in the community? I understand he has achieved ‘success’ at national level, but how is the success of a technical director measured?

Those inverted commas are hugely misguided. He achieved massive success at national level.

Some further reading:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...ss-young-lions-incredible-year-at-youth-level

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/25/dan-ashworth-fa-technical-director-brighton-talks

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
When he joined us in February, he said his job was “to help the first team manager stay in a job as long as possible”. Given that Hughton lasted about 10 (12?) weeks after he joined, and given that Ashworth retains the approval of Tony today, can we conclude that the first team manager/coach bring changed fewer than five times a year constitutes success?

:whistle:

His role is to keep the first team manager in a job as long as possible, unfortunately Chris wasn't that first team manager they wanted to keep for as long as possible. The speed we went in for Potter clearly indicates that moves were afoot long before the Ides of March.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ashworth started end Feb I believe. Our run at that time since Xmas was DWDWLLDLDWLWL

Almost all of those Wins were in the FA Cup.
Take out the cup run and we really were quite awful.

I thought Ashworth was at the club after the announcement was made but not in an official capacity until his official start date?

Perhaps I need more tonic with my gin?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Anyone thinking Ashworth had nothing to do with CH's departure in my opinion is deluded, it was crystal clear, a rift had occurred and Bloom backed Ashworth, time will tell..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone thinking Ashworth had nothing to do with CH's departure in my opinion is deluded, it was crystal clear, a rift had occurred and Bloom backed Ashworth, time will tell..

Why did Bloom hire Ashworth in the first place? It was last summer we gave him the job - but he did not start until Feb/March?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here