Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

DavePage

Since the war:

Division 2: Albion- 21 seasons, Swansea City- 28 seasons
Division 1: Albion- 6 seasons Swansea City: 9 seasons

Prior to the war Albion were in Division 3 South and Swansea City were mostly in Division 2.

Major Honours: Swansea City- League Cup 2013, Albion- None

Highest positions: Swansea City- 3rd Division 1 1981, Albion-13th- Division 1 1982.

Europe (excluding Welsh Cup qualification) Swansea City 1 (2012/13- Europa League last 32) Albion 0

Historically they are above us in achievements.

did they win the charity shield?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I’ve made it out of bed, had a herbal tea, read every single viewpoint on here, considered all sides of the respective arguments re what this appointment might bring and...

And...

I think it’s important to state I don’t wish GP any ill fortune and I would never wish to see my club struggle or lose games just to prove or score ‘internet’ points on a pointless forum. However, next season will, I suspect, be one of significant transition, painful long goodbyes to players loyal to and integral to the CH years. It’s going to take a reasonable amount of time to GP to assemble a squad suited to his expansive and athletic style. Just about surviving is therefore about as much as we can aspire to... we could be deep in it or comfortably out of it, my hope is that we just survive. Thus I pray those jumping for joy are able to temper runaway expectations when the harsh reality of the PL (re)-bites.

If this is indeed the will of the board, then so be it. The club has my support and so will the new manager, but with expectations in line with sodding reality.

The style may change, the results may not. I hope people remember this when (perhaps) clamouring for a more pragmatic and safety first approach to get points on the board...

Top, top post.

Explains all the agonies of the last week.

The loyalty to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club fighting with the loyalty to Chris Hughton.

And in the end, over time, the Football Club will always emerge victorious, there is no choice.

History will judge whether losing loyalty to Hughton was misplaced.

But in the end, and after a very difficult week, I’m now looking forward to next season again.

Kosh’s post will probably need to be bounced when we have lost our first four games 3-5, 1-4, 0-6 and 3-4 and fans will be hankering back to the dull 0-0 draws 0-1 and 0-2 defeats and occasional 1-0 fluke wins.

Hey, at least it will be exciting!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Top, top post.

The loyalty to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club fighting with the loyalty to Chris Hughton.

And in the end, over time, the Football Club will always emerge victorious, there is no choice.

History will judge whether losing loyalty to Hughton was misplaced.

But in the end, and after a very difficult week, I’m now looking forward to next season again.

Kosh’s post will probably need to be bounced when we have lost our first four games 3-5, 1-4, 0-6 and 3-4 and fans will be hankering back to the dull 0-0 draws 0-1 and 0-2 defeats and occasional 1-0 fluke wins.

I will never hanker for what we saw the second half of last season. If that means relegation to the Championship, so be it. A team scared of it’s own shadow doesn’t deserve to be at the top table.

The occasional backs to wall is 100% acceptable but when you are scared of every team in the division, the time for a change has come, we reached that point imo. Potter may be a disaster but what was the second half of last season? Nothing worked except defending and it was excruciating to watch

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
M
Top, top post.

History will judge whether losing loyalty to Hughton was misplacled.

Is it a top post or a post from someone scared of change? Hughton overthought the PL to his downfall and you and Kosh are doing the same. Forget the top six and the remaining games are all winnable only Hughton chose not to try and win them in the end. Fair play to TB a man who wants to enjoy his football on a Saturday and see his team at least try and win a game.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Graham Potter

Well if last season is anything to go by. . . .

Harry had his Swans primed from the beginning of last season winning two then drawing two including blunting the mighty blades and taking two points off European Giant and Championship pace maker Leeds.

Things then were up and down for our Harry as you would expect from a team finishing 10th. However - the Swans conceded 3 goals at home to Birmingham, relegated Ipswich and relegated Rotherham.

You see, that ‘attacking football’ comes at a price. That price might be our Premiership status if our defence is as leaky as his Swans set-up. Our defence has looked horrific this season when the team has stepped out to attack (Fulham away and Bmuff at home being prime examples), he has work to do.

Let’s hope he focuses on clean sheets as much as attractive progressive football.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I will never hanker for what we saw the second half of last season. If that means relegation to the Championship, so be it. A team scared of it’s own shadow doesn’t deserve to be at the top table.

The occasional backs to wall is 100% acceptable but when you are scared of every team in the division, the time for a change has come, we reached that point imo. Potter may be a disaster but what was the second half of last season?
I totally agree with the above. For most of last season I was saying that Hughton was scared of his own shadow which influenced the players.

Potter may need some re-thinking about his team's defensive approach if Swansea fans are correct but I'm confident that we'll be a better balanced side. Especially if Bruno can be slotted in there somewhere for some continuity.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Harry had his Swans primed from the beginning of last season winning two then drawing two including blunting the mighty blades and taking two points off European Giant and Championship pace maker Leeds.

Things then were up and down for our Harry as you would expect from a team finishing 10th. However - the Swans conceded 3 goals at home to Birmingham, relegated Ipswich and relegated Rotherham.

You see, that ‘attacking football’ comes at a price. That price might be our Premiership status if our defence is as leaky as his Swans set-up. Our defence has looked horrific this season when the team has stepped out to attack (Fulham away and Bmuff at home being prime examples), he has work to do.

Let’s hope he focuses on clean sheets as much as attractive progressive football.

Great post and TBH precisely why I am so disappointed about Hughton’s departure.

Teams are built on defence and I maintain that the issue offensively was the quality of personnel at his disposal.

The recruitment this summer is massive in terms of importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

His teams are set up to counterattack not all out attack.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"But that match seems to have been a turning point because their record since then is awful.

They’ve played 22 league games since that goal-less draw at the DW Stadium, conceding 36 goals. Only four teams in the entire division have conceded more in that period and three of them are currently in the relegation zone"

Not sure I'd call it interesting. Worrying, yes. Our Achilles heal is letting in goals on the break.

Equally worrying is your predilection for homophonic heterographs.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I remember the rage of NSC with Sami Hyypiä’s full backs bombing forward. This sort of stuff about Harry’s former team is very worrying:

“At the start of the season the Swans were rock solid at the back but struggled at the other end of the pitch. They may have only conceded six goals in the opening 11 games but they were also scoring less than a goal per game.

That situation has since been reversed. The Swans have scored in 19 of their last 22 games but it may be that Swansea’s increased success at one end of the pitch is having an adverse effect at the other.

Swansea are trying to play a very open game, involving the entire team in attacks. Full-backs bomb forward, centre-backs are encouraged to dribble through the middle of the pitch, and while this is very exciting to watch it seems to have unbalanced the side.

We can’t say for sure what kind of impact the constant chopping and changing of formations and starting XIs is having on the defence but it can’t be easy to form strong partnerships when those partnerships keep getting broken up.”

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I remember the rage of NSC with Sami Hyypiä’s full backs bombing forward. This sort of stuff about Harry’s former team is very worrying:

“At the start of the season the Swans were rock solid at the back but struggled at the other end of the pitch. They may have only conceded six goals in the opening 11 games but they were also scoring less than a goal per game.

That situation has since been reversed. The Swans have scored in 19 of their last 22 games but it may be that Swansea’s increased success at one end of the pitch is having an adverse effect at the other.

Swansea are trying to play a very open game, involving the entire team in attacks. Full-backs bomb forward, centre-backs are encouraged to dribble through the middle of the pitch, and while this is very exciting to watch it seems to have unbalanced the side.

We can’t say for sure what kind of impact the constant chopping and changing of formations and starting XIs is having on the defence but it can’t be easy to form strong partnerships when those partnerships keep getting broken up.”

The thought of Duffy dribbling out from the back fills me with dread!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Wasn’t he obliged to play a very young and inexperienced team due to 16 departures? The above certainly doesn’t sound encouraging though. Fulham on a budget?

Interesting times coming. Not sure we’d have got those if we’d left things as they were.

Certainly a gamble but, right now, I’m looking forward to it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

But that is with an under resourced Swansea side. Correct me if I am wrong wasn’t the Swansea side a mostly young and inexperienced side due to their poor financial situation. This will not be the case at the Albion where he will have access to a higher quality group of players who in theory should be better at implementing his plan. You are not comparing like with like. The situation here gives Potter a lot more to work with.

I am not expecting a huge upturn in our fortunes but I am expecting an incremental one that will see us survive next season. I believe Potter can do this, and give us a few memorable games along the way.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Then turns round and plays a ‘blind’ back pass, after doing the Cruyff turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking forward to seeing him play Widow Twankey in Potter’s Xmas Pantomine production to take the players out of their comfort zone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here