Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I;m disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it;s the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

Slightly better put than my effort.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
What a strange feeling.

Whilst I do feel this is the correct decision and I’m not that surprised as Bloom is a very intelligent man and to me it was the obvious decision to make, Hughton is a wonderful man who has done a very good job for us and it is never nice to see a decent person who has given us a lot of joy, lose their job.

Wish him all the best and a Championship club will be lucky to get him but I do think this is the correct call for us to move forward.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've just woken up after being on nights last night, to my wife broadcasting that Chris Hughton has been sacked :wozza:
I am shocked, but not surprised, I thought he was good for another season.

I think how ended this season, has had a great reflection in the decision made by Tony Bloom.
After the exploits of Sami Hyypia, who also was a nice bloke, Tony Bloom has made his decision as an astute business man.
The term 'nice bloke' is all well and good, if you're down the pub, but with the cut throat PL decisions that have to be made, it was the right one to make.
Chris Hughton has done wonders for our club, I was always in his camp, as so to speak, but we need to move on as a PL club, to the next level.
I think that after his lap of honour on Sunday, he did look quite subdued, and probably did already know the news.

Thank you Chris for all you have done :bowdown:

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Be careful what you wish for!
6 months ago he was being put forward as successor to Poch at Spurs if the latter went to Utd to replace Jose We were all terrified of this.How quickly things change
I have to admit I am gutted and think it is a terrible decision
83...sacked our manger as we were playing boring football ,got to Wembley ... replacement was a joke.
Hope history doesn't repeat itself with relegation next season
My only consolation is that I think I trust Bloom's judgement and Barber and co appear to be organised enough to have got someone else in mind already

successor to poch, that never happened!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sacked for guiding us from relegation strugglers in the Championship to the Premier League and keeping us there for two seasons without once being in the bottom three. As at Newcastle and Norwich, a great manager and decent man treated abysmally by a club he has served well. I am disgusted.

What a feckin' disgraceful way to treat him. Thanks for everything, now off you trot.

He'll go down as our greatest manager, a true gent, someone everyone speaks highly of. We've sent him into battle with a Spud Gun and he's lined up against people with AK47s (stolen analogy from Guinness Boy). Somehow he's pulled off survival TWICE, and we do this to him.

Sadly our club lacks the class that our now EX manager had in spades. I'm disgusted, I need time to heal. Thank goodness it's the end of the season as I'm done with this shite for a bit.

Feel a bit like you two. Too ruthless. #Together seems a bit of a distant memory. He's been let down by a fair few players in my opinion, and that ultimately has cost him his job. Feels more like a bereavement than a progressive step forward. Looking back at some of the footage from yesterday, I think he already knew.

I did think we were different as a club. Maybe not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well I'm going to have to change my signature now. I'm obviously from the 'Chris in' camp, but I'm also in the 'Bloom camp', so if Tony thinks he can get someone better placed to take us forward, that's good enough for me.

Thank you Chris. You've had us playing the best football I've ever seen us play, and got us to the highest level I've seen us at. :bowdown:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m surprised so many are shocked... have they forgotten some of the recent games (Southampton, Bournemouth...) ?

If it wasn’t for 3 terrible teams this season we would have been done. Tony Bloom can’t risk that again

Agreed.

Sad day, but the right decision surely. If Chris was determined to pursue the same strategy then we were only going to get the same results next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

Some are reading into his long conversation with Guardiola after the game as a sign.....also he was interviewed as they walked round the pitch and when reminded that he has a coupole of weeks off then back at his desk he did reply with an interesting tone

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm shocked and saddened at the lack of loyalty shown by TB. Yes, those last games were not great to watch and we were firefighting, but given the summer, i think Chris would have turned it around - he should have been given the chance, they players DID play for him, they never gave up.

The cup run didn't help him sadly but it gave us a day we will never forget.

Chris, you are, and always will be, a true Albion legend.

Last few games ? 23 games with 3 wins, 6 draws and 14 defeats, 15 points out of 69. We have been woeful all year and something had to change. Bloom is a ruthless business man, if he has to be and after spending 7 years to get to the premier league was not going to risk it carrying on next season

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was behind him while he was manager and never felt the need for sharpening the knives.

That said, I suspect it was the right decision. Not just because we have been dire for 4 months now, but also because of the rumours of ill discipline that have gone with it. I think social media pics of Duffy out gambling at 6am 2 days before the final game of the season (after which he could do what he liked) and a couple of others disciplined for drinking sessions before the end of the season both showed a lack of respect for the club who pays their wages and the manager. If the players hadn't lost their respect for CH, they certainly weren't scared of him.

So it is with great sadness that he goes and I'm quite upset by it. But Tony Bloom is one of us, and he's super successful. I have faith in him getting the right man.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm shocked and saddened at the lack of loyalty shown by TB. Yes, those last games were not great to watch and we were firefighting, but given the summer, i think Chris would have turned it around - he should have been given the chance, they players DID play for him, they never gave up.

The cup run didn't help him sadly but it gave us a day we will never forget.

Chris, you are, and always will be, a true Albion legend.

Loyalty?

How much has Bloom spent on this club?

Some of the posts here are absurd.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Shocked at the speed of the decision , thought it would happen but not till after the usual end of season big wigs meeting.

Cant think of anyone who has the experience of the prem who is currently available & willing to take on a non top 6 club so looks like will be a relative inexperienced manager or even a foreign coach.

Rafa would seem the best 'fit' though would not be my choice so going to expect the unexpected.
I'd imagine this is a decision which was probably made a few weeks ago, after a board meeting but they decided to leave it until now to execute it

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Right time to do it, gets new manager in for full pre-season with time review team and who he wants to bring in during the transfer window

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
On a personal level very sad as an incredibly decent human being has lost his job. Only time will tell if it was the correct decision at this moment, but it has been clear for some time that something had to change for the longer term health of the playing side of the club.

Thanks for everything Chris, absolute BHAFC legend.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I wasn't there yesterday. With the benefit of hindsight, was any indication during the lap of appreciation that he knew he was on the way out?

I'm assuming not, and the axe fell very swiftly after that.

He had his interview during the lap, but I can’t remember much of what he said.

Anyone with a video?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely delighted and the right decision. Thanks Chris for everything but you had to go.

As soon as i heard the news i almost screamed with happiness. This season has been very depressing.

Very happy now

Anyone taking delight in this announcement (whether they agree with the decision or not) should be banned immediately.
53 thumbs up and counting. 'Nuff said.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here