Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The problem isn't that the ICC chose to be lenient with Du Plessis or Smith / Bancroft, it's more that their own rules / laws only allow for this level of punishment. It's up to CA to impose something more appropriate.

Well yes, that's what I meant. They have ridiculously lax standards and should have set higher penalties from the outset.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Steve Smith has just stood down as captain of the Rajasthan Royals in The IPL.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Woo hoo. Is he still playing though (and pocketing his $1m)?

It would appear so for now:

Rajasthan Royals will do everything possible to protect the values and the integrity of the game. We agree with Steve’s decision to step down as captain, and we are fortunate to have such a capable successor with Ajinkya Rahane. It is important that all cricket fans retain a balanced perspective on the situation. What happened in South Africa was clearly wrong, especially given that it appears to have been pre-meditated. That said, this will be a difficult time for Steve as well, given how much he cares about the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So there's a video of Bancroft putting sugar in his pocket during the Ashes and England players have said they were suspicious at the time of how the Aussies were able to get the ball to reverse.

It seems like systematic premeditated cheating. There's a real nasty steak about this group and it stems from Lehman, Warner and Smith. The comments made about Bairstows dad is another indicator of how vile they are, they deserve every bit of stick that's heading their way.

The Bairstow stuff is appalling.

On a human level, IMO, actually much WORSE than the calculated cheating, through the shenanigans with the sandpaper.

The Aussie PM has come out and stated that it 'beggars belief' that sportsmen would cheat in that manner. But it really doesn't. It beggars belief that they could be so stupid, but not that they might be minded to cheat. Cheating goes on in some way or other in almost all professional sports, so we know that it's in the psyche of some competitors to take that path - to weigh up the act against the potential reward, and decide its worth it.

On the other hand, to stand there in the field, yards from a fellow young professional, and to taunt him about the suicide of his father (another fellow professional cricketer, who JB himself discovered hanged, on his return from school, at the age of eight), purely in an attempt to break his concentration in a sporting contest? THAT, to me, genuinely does beggar belief.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

On a human level, IMO, actually much WORSE than the calculated cheating, through the shenanigans with the sandpaper.

The Aussie PM has come out and stated that it 'beggars belief' that sportsmen would cheat in that manner. But it really doesn't. It beggars belief that they could be so stupid, but not that they might be minded to cheat. Cheating goes on in some way or other in almost all professional sports, so we know that it's in the psyche of some competitors to take that path - to weigh up the act against the potential reward, and decide its worth it.

On the other hand, to stand there in the field, yards from a fellow young professional, and to taunt him about the suicide of his father (another fellow professional cricketer, who JB himself discovered hanged, on his return from school, at the age of eight), purely in an attempt to break his concentration in a sporting contest? THAT, to me, genuinely does beggar belief.

****ing evil.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Correct. Tells you all you need to know about the individuals involved. Scum.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Just come in here. Did that really happen ? That makes ball tampering look trivial.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I’m really struggling with this Barstow thing. I just cannot imagine that they tried to get to him with that. Is it true, really ? I just can’t believe anyone could do that. If it is true - and I genuinely hope it isn’t - then I don’t think anyone in this country would have minded Bairstow smashing the disgusting git who said it with his bat knocking his teeth into the outfield.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's well worth reading some of the Australian press articles about this, at least they're all taking it seriously and realise there's something rotten in their current players mentality.

Regarding the Bairstow stuff, it's never been reported exactly what was said but it's been heavily alluded to by people close to Bairstow. To his credit I think Bairstow didn't want the inevitable media storm that would've followed those kind of accusations.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Another good read here in The Sydney Morning Herald - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...f-ball-tampering-scandal-20180326-p4z6d3.html

David Warner is emerging as the villain of the piece and won't be playing on Friday and for a while afterwards.

Good. The hypocrisy of Warner before the last Ashes series, passing comment about the Stokes incident & how he'd let so many people down. From the same person who was sent away from an England ashes tour after assaulting Joe Root in a night club. Same with Lehmann. Encouraging Australian crowds to 'send Broad home crying' during the previous series, but whinging about SA crowds giving their players a hard time. Mega karma coming back to bite these two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here