Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Proud Seagulls

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We're all the same when it comes to loving the Albion.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I'm sure a heterosexual pub will need to be nailed-bombed now, to even it up. [/goldstone] :tosser:

I think the heterosexuals are already well in front on this, courtesy of our old friends, the IRA, bombing pubs, particularly those frequented by soldiers. Having (literally) picked up the pieces, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, gay, straight, or anything else. Let's not divide ourselves over this issue. I'm not gay, so I'm not going to be that interested in this new group, except, as a fellow Albion fan, to wish it all the best. If it proves beneficial to some Albion fans, great. I really don't have a problem with it. Let's live and let live.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Christ on a bike. I opened this thread in some hope that the responses would be generally positive. How disappointing. I trust the gibbons asking the usual tedious question of "why isn't there a straight men's club" are also on social media complaining to the WI at their lack of men, or the various golf clubs or gentlemen's venues that have never admitted women. No? Why not, if you're such big fans of everything being the same?

It's not an exclusive club: read the bloody media release. It's open to anybody- members of the LGBT community, or just people who want to support their LGBT friends (because they're basically nice human beings). If you'd like to join, you can. Except you won't of course, because you're all too busy being big butch straight men, squirming in the insecurities of your own sexuality by complaining about something that affects you for not one single second.

If you really need to know why LGBT people still feel support groups are relevant in 2018, ask yourself this. When you kiss your wife goodbye in the street, or briefly put your arm round her in a pub, do you give it a second thought? No. Many LGBT people don't even feel comfortable doing something that simple with their partners/ husbands/ wives, because they're afraid of the negative reactions- the stares, the disapproving looks, the outright abuse- that STILL occurs now.

It's not about strutting down Madeira Drive in a rainbow coloured sequinned feather boa, chaps. It's about people just being able to live the same sort of lives as any human being would want. Football is still full of homophobic abuse, and therefore anything that helps people feel safer, happier or whatever at our games is just fine by me.

Good luck, Proud Seagulls.

Liberal drivel from start to finish.

What's afraid to kiss in the street got to do with an Albion supporters club?

You managed to get in the bald straight men bit, and we all must be insecure, well done. You forget to mention the 1950's though, usually a staple of these type of posts from you.

like many other posts on this thread, yours is a poor attempt to tarnish those who have questioned as to why a need for a separate supporters group based on sexuality, rather than just a supporters group that includes every Albion fan, based on nothing but support for the club.

Anyway, good luck Proud Seagulls, I'm certainly not against it at all, just cant personally see a need for it.

This obviously makes me a 1950's homophobe in many's eyes.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think the heterosexuals are already well in front on this, courtesy of our old friends, the IRA, bombing pubs, particularly those frequented by soldiers. Having (literally) picked up the pieces, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, gay, straight, or anything else. Let's not divide ourselves over this issue. I'm not gay, so I'm not going to be that interested in this new group, except, as a fellow Albion fan, to wish it all the best. If it proves beneficial to some Albion fans, great. I really don't have a problem with it. Let's live and let live.
Well said. Good luck to them. If it encourages more members of the LGBT community to support our great club, all the better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
In an ideal world, for sure there would be no need to bother with Proud Seagulls. You just have to look at the absence of openly Gay footballers to realise there is still so far to go in the acceptance of homosexuality in football especially. So for that reason we should be glad of anything that reduces homophobia and inspires the acceptance of our LGBT fans.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
In order to create equality we should all have our own group to belong that makes us different ......... makes sense

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You managed to get in the bald straight men bit, and we all must be insecure, well done. You forget to mention the 1950's though, usually a staple of these type of posts from you.

like many other posts on this thread, yours is a poor attempt to tarnish those who have questioned as to why a need for a separate supporters group based on sexuality, rather than just a supporters group that includes every Albion fan, based on nothing but support for the club.

Anyway, good luck Proud Seagulls, I'm certainly not against it at all, just cant personally see a need for it.

Interesting post.

For one, you despise the concept of being liberal, dismissing it as drivel - though not saying why, of course.

The weird thing is - this has got absolutely nothing to do with you, and all you've done is seen fit to whine and grizzle as if it's all about you. You've pointed out time and again you don't care. We heard you the first time, and the subsequent dozen or so times since. If you don't care, why do you care so much about posting that you don't care? Perhaps there's something you wish to tell us?

Then there is the fact that, given you've felt the need to ask the question about kissing in the street, marks you down as someone who doesn't understand the issues. So we now have apathy and ignorance.

Then finally we have you playing the 'victim' card - 'I'm being called a 1950s homophobe'. Actually, no - you called yourself that. She never mentioned '1950s homophobe' at all - just you.

Basically, it's the likes of you that makes a need for the likes of Proud Seagulls to exist. Good work.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Interesting post.

For one, you despise the concept of being liberal, dismissing it as drivel - though not saying why, of course.

The weird thing is - this has got absolutely nothing to do with you, and all you've done is seen fit to whine and grizzle as if it's all about you. You've pointed out time and again you don't care. We heard you the first time, and the subsequent dozen or so times since. If you don't care, why do you care so much about posting that you don't care? Perhaps there's something you wish to tell us?

Then there is the fact that, given you've felt the need to ask the question about kissing in the street, marks you down as someone who doesn't understand the issues. So we now have apathy and ignorance.

Then finally we have you playing the 'victim' card - 'I'm being called a 1950s homophobe'. Actually, no - you called yourself that. She never mentioned '1950s homophobe' at all - just you.

Basically, it's the likes of you that makes a need for the likes of Proud Seagulls to exist. Good work.

I rest my case :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In an ideal world, for sure there would be no need to bother with Proud Seagulls. You just have to look at the absence of openly Gay footballers to realise there is still so far to go in the acceptance of homosexuality in football especially. So for that reason we should be glad of anything that reduces homophobia and inspires the acceptance of our LGBT fans.

Indeed, from the dressing room to the stands. Footballers and fans alike. The homophobes amongst us need to get with the programme.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Love this. Use liberal as an insult.
Look it up: you might just learn something.

liberal
ˈlɪb(ə)r(ə)l/Submit
adjective
willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.
"liberal views towards divorce"
(of education) concerned with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.
"the provision of liberal adult education"
synonyms: wide-ranging, broad-based, general, humanistic
"the provision of liberal adult education"

Yep.
Feel free to look up 'Narrow minded' too, whilst you're at it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The all-inclusive / non-discriminatory BHA Supporters club has already highlighted the issue of homophobic abuse on numerous occasions. This issue has increased in importance and more action has been taken. The new LGBQT+ group that has arrived after we achieved Prem status are obviously free to add their input but disecting the fan base into sexual/ethnic persuasion could be probelmatic. Either #together means something or it doesn't. Basically I would like to know what the new group thinks they can achieve that the all inclusive Supporters club couldn't?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The all-inclusive / non-discriminatory BHA Supporters club has already highlighted the issue of homophobic abuse on numerous occasions. This issue has increased in importance and more action has been taken. The new LGBQT+ group that has arrived after we achieved Prem status are obviously free to add their input but disecting the fan base into sexual/ethnic persuasion could be probelmatic. Either #together means something or it doesn't. Basically I would like to know what the new group thinks they can achieve that the all inclusive Supporters club couldn't?

You seem to be of the opinion that a new group is a effectively a splinter group.

I am discriminated against joining the A21 Club or the North West Sussex Seagulls by virtue of geography. Or the Junior Seagulls because I am too old. Or against joining the SWC by the fact I sit in WSU. Or against joining an LGBTQ+ group because I am heterosexual.

The answer is - of course I am not discriminated against. It's another group of fans who wish to get together in their own way - but in this instance to also speak with an authoritative voice on a serious social issue. I'd rather like to hear their opinions on this issue - even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

In that way, we could acknowledge that each and every group has equal prominence and value, and embrace the togetherness that way.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Reading through this whole thread, I think there was actually some valid arguments raised on both sides of the argument. There were many that I sort of wanted to respond to in some way or another and surprised myself that I chose this one.

I did so because I quite admired the fact that you wanted it so succeed despite the fact that you saw no need for it.

I agree that in somewhere like Brighton there possibly isn't as great a need for it as there is at many other clubs but to address your doubt about the need for it. I think there is a more simpler and straight forward answer to you doubt and that is

Despite the homophobic abuse Brighton fans and players receive. There possibly isn't a massively greater percentage of population of LGBT community who go to watch Brighton than many other clubs around the UK. By saying this it would then follow that the LGBT Pubs and bars and restaurants. Football is more likely than not - NOT ON THE AGENDA OF CONVERSATION on a Saturday evening,

This group will we hope then allow it to be on the AGENDA of conversation for those who would like it to be. It would give them to have the opportunity to discuss whether Knockeart played a blinder against Man United the other week. Or whether Izquierdo has been a good signing or not. Or how much Lewis Dunk is worth on the transfer market. They will get to discuss all of these things on a Saturday night out in those venues which they might not otherwise get.

So like you I hope the group is a success and some people get something out of it's formation.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You seem to be of the opinion that a new group is a effectively a splinter group.

I am discriminated against joining the A21 Club or the North West Sussex Seagulls by virtue of geography. Or the Junior Seagulls because I am too old. Or against joining the SWC by the fact I sit in WSU. Or against joining an LGBTQ+ group because I am heterosexual.

The answer is - of course I am not discriminated against. It's another group of fans who wish to get together in their own way - but in this instance to also speak with an authoritative voice on a serious social issue. I'd rather like to hear their opinions on this issue - even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

In that way, we could acknowledge that each and every group has equal prominence and value, and embrace the togetherness that way.

My opinion is .. what value or progression of a cause can be ascertained by setting up a new smaller gender-specific group where a previous diverse gender neutral group (#together) has already identified and championed an injustice with some positive results...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The thought police are out in force on this thread, like they are on many others. If you do not agree with their PC neo liberal views you are one or all of the following in their vitriolic opinion: Stupid, idiotic, racist, racist, homophobic, small minded, evil, antiquated, irrelevant , nasty, bigoted, far right, Nazi etc etc ad infinitum.

What happened to being able to have a different opinion? :shrug:

I think the idea of these groups is to maybe help you change your opinion. The fact that a group like this bothers you is the reason it is needed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My opinion is .. what value or progression of a cause can be ascertained by setting up a new smaller gender-specific group where a previous diverse gender neutral group (#together) has already identified and championed an injustice with some positive results...

It's not gender specific at all, so your first point of reasoning falls at the first hurdle.

Where did you get that from?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here