Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tory think tank says pension age should increase to 75

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I would imagine a majorly of people on this thread or forum, have a very healthy private pension fund or two.

Subsequently, the state pension will largely be pin money.

I would imagine that is the case for most people in their mid to late forties and early fifties in the UK.

I doubt it, unless you all work at Amex, Edward St still! when I joined NSC back in the 90's it was a mixed bag. But obviously almost exclusively office/computer based 'professions'

I don't know many manually labourers, less still regular forum posting ones.

However . . . .some of us work(ed) for small private companies and have **** all other than personal investment (house) and a monthly salary. . . . I'll be working until I die. Hopefully only part time and as and when I want to, or can . . . .if I'm lucky.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I would imagine a majorly of people on this thread or forum, have a very healthy private pension fund or two.

Subsequently, the state pension will largely be pin money.

I would imagine that is the case for most people in their mid to late forties and early fifties in the UK.
**** off Timmy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's be honest, this is not a programme to benefit those that 'suffer' involuntary worklessness, it's about reducing the benefits bill and, ergo, taxation.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
For women I can see the need for it to get later than now but this is way too much! I expect after an expensive process they'll 'agree' to do what they wanted all along and 'help' the public by 'lowering' it to 72 or something

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Obviously. Less immigrants to take up the burden of our promises to the elderly in a society that is ageing. Brexit will sort it.......oh......****wits

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ian Duncan Smith is a vile man and anything that weapon says should be laughed at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is indeed. He is one of the dimmest people in politics and lives free in a mansion owned by his in-laws yet lectures everybody else on how they should live on bread and water. Why the media take any notice of anything he says, does or thinks is beyond me.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I thought this was dealt with about 5 years ago? The same lines about sustainability were trotted out last time and the pension age went up accordingly.

If peoples life expectancy was still increasing, then maybe there might be another need for another look. But, life expectancy has stalled and in some places in the UK actually reversed. Plus, there are reports that as a nation we are more likely to die before our parents as we have become increasingly obese, more likely to suffer from cancers etc.

Obviously, it depends on the scientific reports you read, but clearly the Tory Think tank one has read the report that we will all live to 100 free from ill health.

Personally, I don't think Pensions is the issue. Social care of us living longer in poorer health is. How that is funded is the big question?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personally, I don't think Pensions is the issue. Social care of us living longer in poorer health is. How that is funded is the big question?

from the same source as pensions. it was "dealt with" a few years ago by extending pension age a year in each of the next decades. this is proposing raising a lot more, probably with the aim of raising a little more.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Remember the ones proposing this will be retired by the time they're 60 with lovely gilt edge pensions, the mugs can work till they drop which solves the social care crisis too

So work hard and clever and be one of the people in the first group?

Right,seriously, if people live longer and expect an income whilst not working, how is it paid for? I understand that the very rich could be taxed more, but will that fund the extra cost of pension payments alone?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Free days are shite. I just had one and spent it on here, I'd rather be earning money, so I'm in for the 75.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If peoples life expectancy was still increasing, then maybe there might be another need for another look. But, life expectancy has stalled and in some places in the UK actually reversed. Plus, there are reports that as a nation we are more likely to die before our parents as we have become increasingly obese, more likely to suffer from cancers etc.

Obviously, it depends on the scientific reports you read, but clearly the Tory Think tank one has read the report that we will all live to 100 free from ill health.

Why are hospitals so keen on saving life at any cost? I know of two people in their 80s at death's door, one after a stroke and the other with sepsis, where the relatives weren't consulted but were revived and treated.
I'm not advocating euthanasia, but I am going to sign a living will, to say no resuscitation or treatment.

Both people were left with a poor quality of life, and dementia as a result of their treatment when it would have been kinder to let them go, and now living in care.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hasn't Sajid Jaded just said that the economy is in such good shape that he needs to find things to spend on? Has he had a word with IDS to let him know that pensions have just been successfully reviewed?
I am 65 soon and retired following redundancy. Due to careful planning up to when our State Pensions kick in, I can afford our season tickets, holidays and a reasonable lifestyle. But our State Pensions will make the sums work. At 63, I thought I had a few more years working capability and felt fit as a butcher's dog. Two years on, I have life-changing arthritis and work would be a real struggle as are the sports I thought I would enjoy in retirement that are no longer available to me.
MPs should be looking at making our lives a little easier as we get older, not punishing us for living by putting pensions further out of reach. I really don't think State Pension reviews should be left in the hands of those who will never need them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here