Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham United *** Official Match Thread ***

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It won't sort itself out, we'll get used to it and take what is dished out to us, we'll forget 'normal' football in a couple of years.

Football changes. It always has. Take someone who played it in the forties and they'll not recognise the game as it is now.

This is just it's next evolution.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
has Potter managed to change that culture already?

There are assumptions been made here - there is no way of knowing how much of this improvement is Potter and how much is the groundwork laid by Hughton. Brighton purchased three players this off-season for more money that the previous transfer record - and brought in a loanee that would probably have cost another £20million if on a permanent transfer. On top of that Dunk, Duffy and Burn have all improved in the off-season. And finally - Brighton have not suffered any injuries yet.

It takes several years to build a PL squad - Potter come in with significant foundations laid and then spent a lot of more money than Hughton was able to spend bringing in four players that are / appear to be PL standard.

So far it appears to have worked well - and Potter deserves credit for that - but Brighton really should have thumped West Ham today in the same way they hammered Watford. You do have to take your chances in the PL when they present themselves. Saying that - it looks like Watford, West Ham, Southampton and Newcastle have gone backwards this season. This is not really a surprise - Newcastle spend about £60million (£40million on a striker who looked very light-weight today), Watford spent about £30million, Southampton spent £50million (but £20m of that was for a player they had on loan last season) and West Ham spend about £60million - but the striker they paid £36million for didn't play today - and money counts in the PL. It will be interesting to see how things pan out for the rest of the season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Played really well again. Stephens and Propper look so much better and loads of freedom. So many positives - just unlucky today.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
On VAR, just remember that "It wouldn't have happened last season" is a temporary moan.

"It shouldn't have happened ever" is what we've (all) had to deal with in the past, and we should ultimately be glad to see the back of that kind of complaint, because at the end of the day, however disappointing, the outcome was fair.

The painful thing is the delay and celebrating a goal which we didn't expect to be ruled out. I do wonder whether maybe the "clear and obvious" concept should apply in a case like this, or perhaps other tweaks to the offside rule should be implemented. I'm sure these things are being / will be looked at in order to balance fairness with the flow of the game. Early days, but in principle I can't argue that there's anything wrong with applying the rules of the game strictly and for everyone.

Part of the solution rests with the players. Watch your run and make sure you stay onside.

D

Deleted member 2719

Nerves kicked in for me in the last 10 when WH could well have won it. Apart from that we dominated. Trossard, Murray, Propper, Maupay could have sealed the game and saved me all that stress

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

I can understand that but in these early days, I always feel we could get another as we did after their goal.

There are assumptions been made here - there is no way of knowing how much of this improvement is Potter and how much is the groundwork laid by Hughton. Brighton purchased three players this off-season for more money that the previous transfer record - and brought in a loanee that would probably have cost another £20million if on a permanent transfer. On top of that Dunk, Duffy and Burn have all improved in the off-season. And finally - Brighton have not suffered any injuries yet.

It takes several years to build a PL squad - Potter come in with significant foundations laid and then spent a lot of more money than Hughton was able to spend bringing in four players that are / appear to be PL standard.

So far it appears to have worked well - and Potter deserves credit for that - but Brighton really should have thumped West Ham today in the same way they hammered Watford. You do have to take your chances in the PL when they present themselves. Saying that - it looks like Watford, West Ham, Southampton and Newcastle have gone backwards this season. This is not really a surprise - Newcastle spend about £60million (£40million on a striker who looked very light-weight today), Watford spent about £30million, Southampton spent £50million (but £20m of that was for a player they had on loan last season) and West Ham spend about £60million - but the striker they paid £36million for didn't play today - and money counts in the PL. It will be interesting to see how things pan out for the rest of the season.

It is early, but it's also how you spend your money and how you get the best from the players and I feel he has had an amazing start, but like I said it is still early.

Wasn't it great to hear the Albion faithful really getting behind the side, they are not stupid they can see what's trying to be achieved?

Long may it continue.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Football changes. It always has. Take someone who played it in the forties and they'll not recognise the game as it is now.

This is just it's next evolution.

Very good point (I’m anti VAR BTW) who remembers when keepers could pick up a back pass? I do, but many won’t, and I doubt any current professional keepers will. Now it’s just one example of many changes that have become an accepted part of the game. (I’m still anti VAR though as I feel it disrupts the natural flow of a game).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Brighton should have won that game comfortably - West Ham were as bad as Watford last week.

The gas thing is - if Brighton had won as comprehensively as they should have, Pellegrini could have been sacked and Hughton could have been the fav to replace him.

You are 'havin' a larf' I assume!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Shows what you can get out of these players with the right frame of mind and sense of self belief in them. So many chances, and a couple of them beautifully formed. A joy to watch, and I want more, as we're bound to improve, bulging that net all the more.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Shows what you can get out of these players with the right frame of mind and sense of self belief in them. So many chances, and a couple of them beautifully formed. A joy to watch, and I want more, as we're bound to improve, bulging that net all the more.

Where are those Hughton In detractors now?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Like clockwork, the trolling party pooper appears.

CH will be forever an Albion legend like Mullery.

But credit where credit’s due, I put our last 2 PL performances down to Potter. He’s revolutionised almost everything about us; tactics, set-up, use of subs, a freedom for defenders to go forward, confidence, players aren’t frightened of making a mistake, and even Gross/Propper/Muzza seem fitter.

Our summer spending (plus Mooy) caused no neutral observers to look up and say “crikey, the Albion are going for it”. Our spending was modest by PL standards.

Watford, Stains, West Ham already had established squads with plenty of star names, so just needed to top up.

Today’s result and performance was fine. West Ham had one of the most talented players in football Lanzini who threatened to rip us apart in the first and last 20 minutes, Rice is considered to be the rock of the England side for years to come, their team contained well known ‘names’.

Hopefully as a true Albion fan, you’re having a very happy Saturday night.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
Trossards goal.

TROSSARD1.gif
TROSSARD2.gif

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Where are those Hughton In detractors now?

I think what this shows is that we can retain some of our tough and unbeatable mentality, alongside a sprinkle of chic and the thought that you can attack to defend too. Some dangerous passes out at times, but we'll get better at understanding each other in the squad. The future has.some excitement to it for the first time in a while, whatever may happen.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My question still stands.

My point is, we have been moaning for years about poor refereeing and linesman’s decisions.

The game at the highest level has addressed this.

Now for me I would rather a goal ruled out by a correct VAR decision than have one ruled out incorrectly by a poor linesman’s decision.

It is early days and I’m sure the quickness of the decision making will become better, but for me It’s all good

That's how I see it.
It got so bad last season it was ridiculous.
So many vital decisions got hopelessly wrong, even though it was as clear as day, week in week out.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Very good point (I’m anti VAR BTW) who remembers when keepers could pick up a back pass? I do, but many won’t, and I doubt any current professional keepers will. Now it’s just one example of many changes that have become an accepted part of the game. (I’m still anti VAR though as I feel it disrupts the natural flow of a game).

Seriously? God I actually think the ‘not allowed to pick up a non-headed back pass’ is a fairly NEW rule. I think this means I’m getting seriously old!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here