Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Caroline Lucas, sensible suggestion or sexist nonsense?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’ll be writing to my MP.
“You’ve let yourself down girl, you’re better than that, is it that time of the month?”

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wasn't an all female cabinet a story line in the last series of House of Cards.

Anything has to be better than Johnson and his idiots

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
She has opted for women to focus soley on the task, without all the posturing machismo and willy waving that inevitably would occur otherwise.

If you ever had to deal with those bafoons in Whitehall who spend most of their time name dropping and playing games of 'one up manship' you'd understand her motivation to keep testosterone out of it.

And women of a certain age are always so level headed aren’t they?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

One based upon merit is fine. One based upon a perception that women will co-operate better is not. As someone pointed out, of course she will find agreement with a bunch of people who are selected due to their similar political ideas, it matters not one jot whatever their sex may be.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I felt a great disturbance in the Gammon Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror.......................

Sir-Alec-Guinness-as-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-in-Star-Wars-A-New-Hope.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ll be writing to my MP.
“You’ve let yourself down girl, you’re better than that, is it that time of the month?”

The problem with a sexist proposal is that it invites comedy sexist replies. Lucas has a lot to answer for. :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The problem with a sexist proposal is that it invites comedy sexist replies. Lucas has a lot to answer for. :facepalm:

It's worth it though just for the broflake and gammon angst it's caused. A total non-starter of an idea, but good on Caroline Lucas for coming up with it and getting them really cranked, I say. It's political correctness gone mad, namby-pamby, Guardian reading, social justice warrior, virtue signalling, liberal metropolitan elitism etc. etc at it's finest.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's a great idea. Let's face it, we've tried everything else and it can't be any worse. (It's a bit like when they appointed Gareth Southgate as England boss after we'd tried every other type of manager).

It's funny, but I was talking only yesterday with a couple of fellow republicans, and one said "Do you know? I've been an ardent, hard-line republican almost all of my life, and yet if the Queen announced today: 'Sod all this you're all a shower of shit, I'm taking over as absolute monarch' - I wouldn't say a word against it. It cannot be any worse." We disagreed with him obviously, but well, could it be any worse?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

How is that 'hard left'? ??? And, moreover, they are 'looking at it', it's not policy. However, I did laugh when I read the quote "Only the Conservatives are committed to helping people achieve home ownership"- that'll be why, under the Tory government the level of UK house building has slumped to the lowest levels since the 1920s and we have the most affordable homes ever, even though demand for housing is extremely high. I mean, Labour are guaranteeing to invest in a programme of house building, and committing to ensure that half of the new houses are social housing. This wouldn't just alleviate the housing crisis, it would also stimulate the economy by increasing aggregate demand...

Of course there is no country on Earth where a government has come to power and enacted absolutely everything in the Labour Party manifesto, but significant elements of Labour's economic policies are absolutely commonplace across the developed world.To say these policies are 'Hard Left' shows either a total lack of understanding or it's a sign of the current political climate we find ourselves in - where everything is so centre-right that even the most sensible ideas, like funding the NHS and schools properly is considered radically 'left wing'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hmmmmm

Anything would seem unlikely with the current options available.

What a shitestorm.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How is that 'hard left'? ??? And, moreover, they are 'looking at it', it's not policy. However, I did laugh when I read the quote "Only the Conservatives are committed to helping people achieve home ownership"- that'll be why, under the Tory government the level of UK house building has slumped to the lowest levels since the 1920s and we have the most affordable homes ever, even though demand for housing is extremely high. I mean, Labour are guaranteeing to invest in a programme of house building, and committing to ensure that half of the new houses are social housing. This wouldn't just alleviate the housing crisis, it would also stimulate the economy by increasing aggregate demand...

Of course there is no country on Earth where a government has come to power and enacted absolutely everything in the Labour Party manifesto, but significant elements of Labour's economic policies are absolutely commonplace across the developed world.To say these policies are 'Hard Left' shows either a total lack of understanding or it's a sign of the current political climate we find ourselves in - where everything is so centre-right that even the most sensible ideas, like funding the NHS and schools properly is considered radically 'left wing'.

I don't really want to argue along Tory or Labour lines as I like neither, but stealing people's money is a pretty hard left act in my view.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, I'm waiting...:)

You can carry on waiting, MR.It has been done to death on here and in most of the sensible media.
I really can't be bothered to argue with you about Corbyn and McDonnell, suffice to say, I don't want a professed Marxist as Chancellor and who states that he wants to see the overthrow of Capitalism.
As for Corbyn, do you really think he is fit to be PM of this country?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I don't really want to argue along Tory or Labour lines as I like neither, but stealing people's money is a pretty hard left act in my view.

My understanding, reading that article and doing a bit of further reading, is that Labour are looking at how to create fairer system that stops a string of tax giveaways made by the Tories that favour the better off, in order to help fund poorer households. However, what it will mean for people living in the capital remains to be seen...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here