Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Operation Mincemeat - Somewhat Absurd True Story

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ben Macintyre's documentary about Operation Mincemeat is on BBC 4 tonight at 9pm.

Since seeing the show I have become mildly interested in the operation, so I'll check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't suppose there are any delightful farce inspired music hall numbers in the documentary?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ben Macintyre's documentary about Operation Mincemeat is on BBC 4 tonight at 9pm.

I got around to watching it last night. It was interesting, and fun seeing the bits of the story that reminded me of bits in the show.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Double Cross is good as well - that is about how every German spy in the UK during the war was actually a double agent working for MI6. Plus there were loads on the continent making stuff up and passing it onto German high command, in the run up to D-Day, who believed it - one was awarded the Iron Cross even though pretty much everything he told the Germans was a pack of lies created by MI6! Great stuff and all true.

Operation Fortitude by Joshua Levine is worth a read, describes the deceptions that took place regarding the when and where of D-Day. Also recommend Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare about the various eccentric and brave individuals and the weird and wonderful ways and gadgets used to deceive and sabotage the Third Reich.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Operation Fortitude by Joshua Levine is worth a read, describes the deceptions that took place regarding the when and where of D-Day. Also recommend Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare about the various eccentric and brave individuals and the weird and wonderful ways and gadgets used to deceive and sabotage the Third Reich.
Which version of the ...Ungentlemanly Warfare book, Norman? There's two I've found with that title, one by Giles Milton, the other by Damien Lewis...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And coinciding with that, the musical is having another run.

[tweet]1505849063975104514[/tweet]

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
If you enjoyed the book as I did, follow it up with Agent Zig Zag also by Ben McIntyre

I enjoyed it even more.

Read this recently. Absolutely fascinating. We were so far ahead of the Germans in the intelligence game which was a crucial part of winning the war. Information from what they called the 'most secret sources' (i.e. the cracking of the enigma machine) shortened the war by years.as the Germans had 100% confidence that it was uncrackable.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Double Cross is good as well - that is about how every German spy in the UK during the war was actually a double agent working for MI6. Plus there were loads on the continent making stuff up and passing it onto German high command, in the run up to D-Day, who believed it - one was awarded the Iron Cross even though pretty much everything he told the Germans was a pack of lies created by MI6! Great stuff and all true.

Derek Robinson has written some novels based on the life of this chap https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García - been a while since I read them but remember them being entertaining and, if I'm remembering right, quite funny at the time. The Eldorado Network is the first in a trilogy about him.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Strong Sussex/Ashdown Forest connection with many of these operations were the high masts at Kings Standing code name "Aspidistra". Used for transmitting/intercepting radio signals. Site is still in use by Sussex Police, one rather pathetic mast remains, presumably for Police purposes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here