Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Death on the High Street,Boots.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Is this such a bad thing though? I’m thinking cafes, bars, restaurants, barbers, local produce shops. There must be other things as well; doesn’t seem too bad.
No - I'm not necessarily against that - and indeed would continue to want to see retail shops have lower business rates.

Alternatively it depends on what we will lose out on. Richer Sounds, for example, voted by Which as the one of the top retailers, offer much more than a cheap online seller does. But there remains the danger for them that people will use their shops to look at the goods and then buy them cheaper online. Business rates should take this into account, if possible - but business rates look at space rather than online presence and taxing online presence would be incredibly difficult (sites/companies would just move to a cheaper "location").

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No - I'm not necessarily against that - and indeed would continue to want to see retail shops have lower business rates.

Alternatively it depends on what we will lose out on. Richer Sounds, for example, voted by Which as the one of the top retailers, offer much more than a cheap online seller does. But there remains the danger for them that people will use their shops to look at the goods and then buy them cheaper online. Business rates should take this into account, if possible - but business rates look at space rather than online presence and taxing online presence would be incredibly difficult (sites/companies would just move to a cheaper "location").

I hear you. Record shops are my thing. And they certainly offer much more than online sellers. I really cannot remember the last time I went to a record store and came out with what I went in for; it’s usually much more from advice, recommendations to physical sales.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Newhaven hasn't had a bank for years. We can pay money in via the post office or go to Seaford.
[MENTION=578]portslade seagull[/MENTION] France still had small family run shops which is why their high streets thrive. They wouldn't dream of doing a one stop shop at the supermarket.

Yeah did notice that patisseries and boucheries all over the place but was more surprised at the amount of banks still going

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Richer seem to have headed that off by being competitive, and offering the guarantee. prime example of how the high street can continue: provide a service.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah did notice that patisseries and boucheries all over the place but was more surprised at the amount of banks still going

A couple of years ago we stayed at a gite in France and, on visiting the local village (which was about the size of Falmer) I was astonished to discover there were two boulangeries open first thing in the morning.

Interesting to read how one town kept its centre alive and bustling
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...ench-town-beat-the-high-street-blues-mulhouse

This paragraph really stood out "Leaders only recently turned to the issue, fearing boarded up shopfronts and vanishing services could help usher in Donald Trump-style populists. Polls showed that in small French towns, the fewer the services on offer – notably post offices – the higher the vote for the far right."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Business rates for small(ash) shops should be removed completely. Shops have plenty of additional expenses over online sales - and really they should be offered support for opening a shop compared to just going online.

Otherwise the high streets will become only the things you can't get online, like barbers.

Business rates should be hugely discounted for all size of retailers, especially in high streets or shopping centres in decline.

Obviously that loss to some councils needs to be covered, so perhaps increases to business zones which are trading exceptionally well eg out of town distribution hubs run by online retailers and professional firms which have moved to rural sites? If insufficient, then some central to local government help?

Jul 7, 2003
Not sure if this is clever or not but Smiths have rebranded quite a few of the airport locations as London News Company rather than WH Smiths. Probably makes it easier to spin them off as a separate company if needed.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
WH Smiths and Boots have been appalling stores to visit for sooooo long. I feel dirty whenever I go in one of their stores. I hate WHS with a passion

Agreed. Here in Leek we have a wonderful local/private bookshop called Picture Book,if they don't have it will try their ABSOLUTE BEST to get and match Amazon for price,local jobs for local people. As to Online/Home Delivery let's hit back in a way that makes them think twice. Delivery Driver's need a CRB/CPC,Medical by your own GP even an operator's licence,Tacho card,VOSA routine inspection either paid for by Home Delivery company or the driver. Things can be done/

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Agreed. Here in Leek we have a wonderful local/private bookshop called Picture Book,if they don't have it will try their ABSOLUTE BEST to get and match Amazon for price,local jobs for local people. As to Online/Home Delivery let's hit back in a way that makes them think twice. Delivery Driver's need a CRB/CPC,Medical by your own GP even an operator's licence,Tacho card,VOSA routine inspection either paid for by Home Delivery company or the driver. Things can be done/

Great points. Would get my support. Levelling the tax burden from high street to online also

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think once the generation above me is gone, shops like M&S and WHSmith will die off with them. Post Offices are also shrinking down to one counter affairs in the back of convenience stores and bank branches will be a thing of the past within ten years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There used to be a Sussex Stationers in Kingston Upon Thames :shrug:
Just thought I'd get that useless info out there :D

From what I recall, Kingston is largely made up of shops that are all closing down. I only ever went there for spec savers, the cinema and the pub down by the river.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you mean the Bentall Centre is what glues it altogether:lolol:

For such a wealthy, historic town in a great location I found it surprisingly bland, devoid of good pubs with no good restaurants.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Banks, doctors and dentists are the thing here, especially dentists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here