Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Good post.

However, given where we were when we came up, isn’t there an argument that CH was on a project, building a solid base and then developing the squad?

It’s just that the players purchased in the last 12 months (Bernardo aside), currently do not look good enough.

I would also argue that the U23s although slightly more offensive (mainly due to the opposition), play in a similar way to the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I'd agree with you pretty much on all this, though I'll hold fire on whether certain players aren't good enough until I've seen them under a different manager next season.

Hughton I presume did have a remit to get us into the playoffs, which he achieved in his 2nd season, and went one better the following season .

First season in Prem was probably to just survive which he did, but I think this seasons remit was obviously survival but to show some progression, and on that he didn't deliver.

So I'd presume the powers that be decided that they wanted to move on to the next phase of development and decided CH wasn't the man.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Frank De Boer
Jokanovic

Your turn.

Actually no you're right. There has never been good football by a team in the bottom half of the Premier League and it is all dour 'must not lose' mentality

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Of all the plausible possible ioptions Potter really does offe rhope especially with our youth policy.

If FM19 is worth anything then McAllister, Balanta and Mlakar are the sort of players who will be fantastic with a manager like Potter.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Good post.

However, given where we were when we came up, isn’t there an argument that CH was on a project, building a solid base and then developing the squad?

It’s just that the players purchased in the last 12 months (Bernardo aside), currently do not look good enough.

I would also argue that the U23s although slightly more offensive (mainly due to the opposition), play in a similar way to the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with being solid in defence we normally created enough chances to win the games or just failing on a weak pass or decision making in the final third. It would seem that our players weren't very well drilled in the attacking department like keeping the ball instead of the perfect pass or cross and passing, or crossing the ball instead of taking them on in the space. Too many problems repeated too many times and they weren't coached on this weakness.

I always put my frustration on the players being crap, but it has to be coaching because at West Brom we were really bad and given a lesson in football.

This is down to the training method and that's why Hughton's right hand men left too. Great manager for us but probably too old school for the upper half of the Prem.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of all the plausible possible ioptions Potter really does offe rhope especially with our youth policy.

If FM19 is worth anything then McAllister, Balanta and Mlakar are the sort of players who will be fantastic with a manager like Potter.

The club are always working two or three years in advance so they have a very solid plan. Percy Tau is on that list too.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
SSN reporting Swansea yet to give permission to talk to Potter while several papers report he is being interviewed today/next 48 hours ..... dont you just love the conflicting rumours

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The club are always working two or three years in advance so they have a very solid plan. Percy Tau is on that list too.

Think Tau is unlikely to get a wp unfortunately.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
SSN reporting Swansea yet to give permission to talk to Potter while several papers report he is being interviewed today/next 48 hours ..... dont you just love the conflicting rumours

Does anyone think that maybe the Potter rumours are just smoke & mirrors while Albion interview the REAL candidate(s) under the radar?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
As this is a Dan Ashworth appointment in reality, how many other managers has he had a hand in appointing?
And what are their records
Does anyone know?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Next year, we're up against the two Champions League finalists and the two Europa League finalists. Plus a Myriad of clubs who have better squads than us.

He's done well elsewhere and the Arsenal & Man City performances were impressive, but, fatuous responses aside, you cannot compare opposition against the likes of Rotherham, Milwall and Jonkopings Sodra to what he will face here.

In fairness, it's not just Man City and Arsenal is it. Knocked out Galatasaray, qualified from the group above Hertha Berlin. With Ostersunds! Pretty remarkable achievement imo. Will that translate to the Premier League? Only time will tell. But if we are going to take a punt on someone then that's a pretty good basis for taking one.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Not sure if this has already been posted but from here...

https://www.90min.com/posts/6068645-7-things-you-probably-didn-t-know-about-swansea-s-soon-to-be-manager-graham-potter

This is where we get to the juicy stuff. The tactics. Finally, what we've all been waiting for. According to Swedish footballing legend Henrikh Larsson, he keeps his teams extremely tactically astute.

"The way he is able to change his pattern of play during games is so impressive," Larsson told the Independent. "[He] played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."

We are crying out for a coach who can do this....:O

The bit in that article that got my attention was this
The man himself describes his teams as tactically flexible, attack minded and possession based. Every box checked. He even sets up his Östersunds FK side in a 3-5-2 formation with a massive emphasis on the midfield

Something we have been lacking in two of the three departments! Can you guess which two?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Graham Potter

Does anyone think that maybe the Potter rumours are just smoke & mirrors while Albion interview the REAL candidate(s) under the radar?

Possibly, this morning a large helicopter circled over Portslade and Flightradar24 showed it landing in Fishersgate Park, Adenstar Offices are nearby owned by Albion Director Derek Chapman. Note origin of Helecopter on screen shot? IMG_5777.jpg

Although the AC is the Air Ambulance

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here