Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Electric Vehicle

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is true but Vauxhall stopped selling the Ampera in around 2014 I believe. Not sure if this coincides with them moving away from GM.

You're right, they didn't release the second generation in Europe. Seems like it was down to GM's financial issues. They're laying off staff and closing down factories all across North America.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
And that's a massive advantage - free charging at work should be offered by all companies (that can do this)

The ideal would be all offices with banks of solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall type setup to allow free / CO2 free charging.

I thought that was now classified as a BIK or at least it will be?

Should have the car I just ordered for 4 years and excited to see how much the technology moves on in that time

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm in the same boat.
Research has resulted in plug in hybrids being the best move for now (Hyundai), as we are at the end of the real first gen EV's.
Plug in hybrids = around 600+ mile range, very low mpg, and fully electric use of around 30 miles.
2021 onwards will be when I look at fully electric.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be fair, the government gave me £4,500 off my car when I bought it (well, leased it) last year

Yes, £3,500 now. To be honest though, they average Joe is comparing costs, a BMWi3 is say £36k and a VW Golf is half that. The annual saving on fuel is say £2,500 so the maths don't add up. Somehow the Government have to take the initiative, which will probably be higher taxes on fuel and petrol vehicles!

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I’ve got a Nissan Leaf. EV’s have become hugely popular up here as it’s so cost effective with an increasingly amount of toll roads (EV’s are exempt from these).

I’m very happy with the car and recommend it. Very easy to drive and has good acceleration. As it’s automatic it’s essentially a big go-cart. I get about 120-130 miles out of one charge. The less you use aircon or heat the more more miles you get. Charging is easy if you have off road parking and it takes approx. 1 hour to charge 10% of the battery.

Our next car will also be an EV because the driving range of the next generation of cars (coming in 2020/2021) will be twice as far.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’ve got a Nissan Leaf. EV’s have become hugely popular up here as it’s so cost effective with an increasingly amount of toll roads (EV’s are exempt from these).

I’m very happy with the car and recommend it. Very easy to drive and has good acceleration. As it’s automatic it’s essentially a big go-cart. I get about 120-130 miles out of one charge. The less you use aircon or heat the more more miles you get. Charging is easy if you have off road parking and it takes approx. 1 hour to charge 10% of the battery.

Our next car will also be an EV because the driving range of the next generation of cars (coming in 2020/2021) will be twice as far.

Don't Norway apply high taxes on ICE vehicles, making EVs very attractive?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Rather than create a new thread... this will sit nicely on here:

Anyone fancy the Tesla Cybertruck?

Cybertruck-41.png

Looks like something from Bladerunner.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Rather than create a new thread... this will sit nicely on here:

Cybertruck-41.png

Looks like something from Bladerunner.
I confidently predict i will never see one of those on an actual road

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So, in the end, I took out a twelve month lease on a three year old ex-lease petrol Mercedes whilst the EV market sees some volume, and I'll spend the next twelve months seeing what happens. Interesting development going on at Porsche.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 1 electric vehicle I would love to see is one at The Amex to come on instead of antiquated stretcher bearers when a player is injured. Every Premier club must have an access to the pitch so why do they not use electric vehicles? Sorry we will never buy an electric car irrespective of any incentives offered.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Servicing costs are generally lower on EVs as there are less moving parts, which also means (generally) less to go wrong.

With hybrids, you get the worst of both worlds.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
My personal feeling is that EVs will go the same route as Betamax videos. Hydrogen power is the future.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

no. one of the reasons for success of Tesla is they look pretty decent, styling with in normal paradigm. this is a something a child draws to imagine what the future looks like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My personal feeling is that EVs will go the same route as Betamax videos. Hydrogen power is the future.

EV will be like CD, the format that will stay around while other technically better ones come and go, its simple and the infrastructure is in place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here