Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] MPs defecting to The Independent Group in parliament

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You would never see the Tories actually split like this, they all know that Knighthoods are rather handy when it come to picking up plenty of Directorships and high paid advisory roles.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How many of the 47 million registered to vote look at manifestos? Most people have the herd instinct of “My Dad always voted Labour and ‘ates Tories, so do I.” Or similar. From a drip-drip-drip of parental influence over a childhood.

That's very true, but there are other influences though, not just parental. I actually read all 3 manifestos in 2017, came to the conclusion that The Liberal Democrats was the one I most agreed with/liked, and subsequently voted Labour for the first time since 1997 primarily simply because I don't like (to put it politely) The Conservative and Unionist Party or The Right Honourable Amber Rudd. and that's from someone who reluctantly voted Tory in 2001 and 2015 too.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
On this day of all, I received this terrible news today

8234013D-52DB-4318-99E0-8EE6793C46C8.jpeg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We want a peoples vote scream the traitors , what about you have by elections to see if your constituents agree with you, no we don't want a vote

What are you bluffering on about, you ever meandering FOOL?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Now confirmed on the BBC. 7 MPs resign from the party: Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey.

:goal:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That just shows what an absolute car crash of a leader Jeremy Corbyn is. He seems to have had an unparalleled ability to pish people off from all over the political spectrum, while being in opposition. I can think of very few people who have ever come close to his level of destroying his own party while in opposition to a government who are doing a wholly inept job themselves.

It actually makes the mind boggle as to how he has managed to do it. It's as if a life spent as an anti-establishment figure doesn't sit well with being the leader of a mainstream party. Meh, who'd have thought?

Just when I thought we'd dealt ourselves the biggest own goal of a self inflicted crisis in decades which was making us virtually un-electable at the next election along comes a golden opportunity on a silver platter, thank you Labour

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I bet she'd heard of Waitrose in Uckfield, Crowborough, Heathfield and Hailsham though - that's whats most important in her constituency of Wealden. She'll know where it's at.
Although Wealden DC want to flatten the one in Hailsham and replace it with a Lidl as part of their regeneration plan.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Although Wealden DC want to flatten the one in Hailsham and replace it with a Lidl as part of their regeneration plan.

I can understand the logic there entirely- a Lidl rather than Waitrose would be far more appropriate for Hailsham.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
personally I think the *****ervatives and Labour are both outdated dinosaurs, the sooner they both die off the better.

just under 2/3 of the electorate vote, on a good day they get around 40% each . . .in total that's less than 52% over all . . . . . voting should be compulsory, and you don't need to be a rocket scientise to see that a slightly left of centre party which is both sharing/caring to the general population, as well as progressive and proactive environmentally and economically would clean up.

I'm sure the vast majority of those who don't vote, abstain because there's no one with any integrity or soul to vote for. (trying to be polite there, rather than saying parasitic leeches, which is probably more accurate)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Convince yourself all you want that it's not the case, but the issue that was always looming, that would split the Tory Party has actually split the Labour Party as well.

not Brexit really, thats just another excuse for a small group very unhappy about Corbyn and future of Labour. there's at least 3 separate reasons for them leaving (Brexit, anti-semitism, Momentum). and i reckon this is why they arent forming a new party, because they hope to rejoin Labour.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Brexit is undoubtedly a political force that neither main party could have a leader who could meld the factions within their party. Labour has more MPs committed to fulfilling the will of the referendum as it does those prepared to split because they are not getting their 2nd referendum. He took the parliamentary party into the 2017 general election full of doubt, and delivered a bloody nose to the government, and a share of the vote not seen since 1997.

Did the leaderships of William Hague, Iain Duncan Smith and Michael Howard pass you by? William Hague managed to deliver the biggest majority to a sitting government in history outside the war years.

4 MPs threatening to leave is the same if not less than the same amount threatening to quit the Tory party. I'm not actually a Corbyn fan believe it or not, but he is hardly destroying a party with whom he has grown membership to record levels. To have won 2017 would have been an unprecedented turn around in a short space of time for the previous election. They didn't win, but the result was a surprise, especially to the government.

You are deluded, Bold Seagull, totally deluded!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I can understand the logic there entirely- a Lidl rather than Waitrose would be far more appropriate for Hailsham.
Actually looks like I misread it as I have just gone back to check and they talk about Lidl having a separate site with dedicated car parking so it looks like Waitrose would stay. Which makes more sense as there are a lot of affluent parts of the town along with more deprived areas - especially with the swathes of new housing developments in progress.

If anyone is interested and hasn't seen it before, here is the report

http://council.wealden.gov.uk/docum...ping Centre Hailsham - Master Plan Vision.pdf

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you get a chance to watch in full what they all said this morning, you'll see that question answered. Whether you agree with them or not, they have all been made to feel that the Labour party has changed from under them, and can no longer after three years bite their lips and pretend they agree with certain key policies and leadership decisions. Maybe it is rash, maybe it is hopeless, but if you were in a job supporting something every day you didn't believe in and were having to lie through your teeth in public, could you do it?

They have reached breaking point and feel this is the only solution.

Fair comment, I will watch it in detail later. Pretty damning for Corbyn.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It'll be interesting to see if any Tories now resign from the party. Think I'd be surprised but for there to be real change they need to follow suit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Labour party break-up ?

Personally I think the *****ervatives and Labour are both outdated dinosaurs, the sooner they both die off the better.

Nailed it.

Whatever happened to progressive politics?

We’ve regressed so much.

The likes of May, Corbyn, Reece-Mogg, Abbott, Johnson & McDonnell belong in the 70s & 80s (1870s/80s in the case of JRM).

I’m hoping the ERG will split the Tories now, still plenty of blood to be split.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a shame that Momentum didn't break away from the Labour Party to follow their heads up their arses instead, but today's news offers a glimpse of a way forward towards a modern left-of -centre party. New Labour 2.0 except without being deeply complicit in the immoral and illegal invasion of sovereign states under fake pretext?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here