Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players not knowing the rules - Part 93001

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'll admit I had to look it up. But almost to a man, the Watford players complained when the lino made them retake a free kick that didn't leave the area. Turns out it isn't just goal kicks that applies to.

If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

Don't know if that is a recent change or is long standing but it is concerning how often professional footballers don't know the laws of the game.

Believe it was one of the laws under discussion for change so that it would not be necessary for a goal kick or a free kick to leave the penalty area.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
A referee would argue that he ISN'T offside as he hasn't touched the ball, but shirley he's interfering with play?

Interfering with play is defined as touching the ball so unless he touches the ball he is not intefering with play (according to the definition in the offside law).

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The one that got me recently (fan not knowing the rules rather than player) is that the free kick resulting from an offside decision can be in the offending player's half. The reason being they are standing in the opponent's half in an offside position when a ball is played forward. No offence is committed until they challenge for the ball and it is where the challenge takes place that the free kick is given. Therefore if the offside player runs into his own half to challenge for the ball he concedes a free kick in his own half for offside.

That is such a stupid rule. It seems very contradictory too, You can't be offside in your own half but can commit an offside offence in your own half whilst not being offside at the time you commit the offside offence

It's like saying that if a foul occurs outside of the penalty area, but momentum carries someone into the box, even if it takes several paces before the player falls over after contact (after the foul has taken place) then it should become a penalty.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Interfering with play is defined as touching the ball so unless he touches the ball he is not intefering with play (according to the definition in the offside law).

But a player blocking the goalkeepers view/path from an offside position position is deemed offside even if they don’t touch the ball aren’t they ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One that was highlighted following a recent penalty against us, is that if a player in an offside position goes for the ball (and IMO should be instantly offside), and that player gets fouled as they go for the ball, it's a foul, not offside.

Stupid rule.

Which game was that then?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
When we kicked off second half the ref delayed it briefly and Murray was half way to their penalty area when the kick off actually happened. Ref had his back to him so didn’t notice.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Surely they could get in the way and make a defender change course to get past and thus delay him being able to clear the ball without actually touching the ball themselves. Surely that is interfering with play. :shrug:

I’d never make it as a ref!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'll admit I had to look it up. But almost to a man, the Watford players complained when the lino made them retake a free kick that didn't leave the area. Turns out it isn't just goal kicks that applies to.

If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

Don't know if that is a recent change or is long standing but it is concerning how often professional footballers don't know the laws of the game.

Always amazes me the ignorance of players and supporters alike.

Even had a discussion with a mate over the 10m mark on the goal line away from the corner quadrant. Which for the thick ones is not 10m from the flag!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One that was highlighted following a recent penalty against us, is that if a player in an offside position goes for the ball (and IMO should be instantly offside), and that player gets fouled as they go for the ball, it's a foul, not offside.

Stupid rule.

Please show me defined evidence of that rule.

The first offence takes precedence.
The only action that can be taken is if dangerous play occurs, the player can be booked/sent off but the restart is the offside.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In an offside position blah blah and interfering with play OR the opposition ability to play the ball.

Interfering with play
"playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate"[1]
Interfering with an opponent
"preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to them when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"[1]
Gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has
"- rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Laws. Football has laws, not rules.

So wrong i’m afraid the law is the heading the rule is the detail as per the rule book.

Old saying I know but the truth is it is incorrect.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

The only action that can be taken is if dangerous play occurs, the player can be booked/sent off but the restart is the offside.
That's what I'd have said too, but someone posted a link where it stated that a foul committed against an offside player is still a foul. I don't know where to find it.

Laws. Football has laws, not rules.
Rules is fine, it's part of our language. It doesn't matter what FIFA or the FA choose to put as the heading in their book, rules is just an English word to describe something.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
That is such a stupid rule. It seems very contradictory too, You can't be offside in your own half but can commit an offside offence in your own half whilst not being offside at the time you commit the offside offence

It's like saying that if a foul occurs outside of the penalty area, but momentum carries someone into the box, even if it takes several paces before the player falls over after contact (after the foul has taken place) then it should become a penalty.

Yes, it's all very odd. I suppose it's because to commit an offside offence two things have to happen; you have to be in offside position and attempt to play the ball but the two things can be several seconds apart and happen in two places on the pitch. Therefore it's deemed that the offence occurs once you have completed both actions and is given where the second action takes place.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Taken from the link below:

'A player in an offisde position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence'

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here