Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Not sure if link will work but tredz appear to have Gatorskins (not the folding ones, recommend non folding anyway tougher) for about £22 most sizes.
Continental 4 season very good too if you can find near that price

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Continental-Ultra-GatorSkin-DuraSkin-Road-Tyre
I used gatorskins before but wanted something a bit lighter when I got the new bike with fulcrum 3s on.

Maybe I'll do gatorskins winter and something else come spring.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My LBS man added a link that just comes apart when pushed together.
It shows how little I do it because I just assumed these were standard these days.

They are standard. But mostly, they get stuck and you need to use these plier-like things to ease them apart.

I rarely find I can do this without the tool!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
just watching "dragons den" and someone is doing a pitch for bike horn's
does anyone on here use any type of horn on their bike?
i was just interested

No, Zukey, I don't.

I suspect you'll get the same answer from most on here - it's against the 'rules' (Duncan Bannatyne would call us 'too cool for school') so it ain't gonna happen.

They looked like a good idea, though, especially for London cyclists.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I probably need to buy a tool to get the quick link undone first! Was a right bugger to get on with pliers.

In the market for tyre recommendations - I know you love the rubianos PM but mine have worn through and lost all traction already.

Anyone recommend something around 20 quid, rolls ok but need to withstand some shitty cycle paths?

I have these on my Battaglin - http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle...CFSbJtAodFRkAQg&gclsrc=aw.ds#customer-reviews

I've not much to compare them with, only the Vittoria Diamante Pros on the other bike, but I've been very happy with the Vredesteins, and they always get great reviews too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've lobbed a nifty in the pot. Quite pleased that I held on to my mate up the climb this morning. First time I've done that. Mind you he did a 1/2 marathon training run yesterday.

That sounds familiar.

I was also quite chuffed to be more than holding my own at times with the Armchair clubber today, a bit of a first for me; then I remembered he was clocking up his 300th odd mile for the week and as he effortlessly rode away from me at the end of the ride normal service was resumed once more :rolleyes:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Cheers [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

How about keeping a tab on the elevation as well. I know there's one or two good riders recently joined the strava geeks with some pretty lofty ambitions for this year, so maybe when we're all a bit leaner we could have a stab at the Seven Summits (or is it nine continents ?) in a week later in the year.

By my reckoning we almost climbed Everest twice this week.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm having feelings.

I know these feelings are wrong, but I'm having them.

I'm not one for pro kit. As someone who came from rugby to cycling mostly due to a hand injury, I'm hardly flattered by lycra (except the 'guns', rugby gave me some nicely toned arms that look silly on any cyclist). Anyway, I digress.

As well as not liking pro kit, I try to avoid putting red and blue together in any combination. I just don't think those colours should go together - save it for them lot up the road.

In addition to not liking pro kit and having an aversion to red and blue, I also try and hide the fact that I'm a fan of Wiggins - I know he is marmite, but he is one of the reasons I picked up a road bike (well, him and the Brownlees - I started off with triathlon).

So, I don't like pro kit, I won't wear red and blue together and I try to keep my love of Wiggins secret. On top of all this, I don't like rapha. Its the snobbery thing - cycling should be accessible - anyone can pick up a half-decent but fairly cheap road bike and get out on the roads. Rapha are the anti-accessibility. The golf club of cycling.

In spite of all of this, I would really genuinely wear this... what is wrong with me??

wiggins-jersey-01.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A first for me today.

A sparrow flew into my shoulder.
Fortunately it bounced up and away, and even luckier I was looking over my other shoulder so I only saw it out of the corner of my eye.

Ask yourself this [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION].

Who else will be wearing that jersey, and do you want to be associated with them?

I agree it's a nice jersey (assuming the Wiggins bit isn't staying), but the demographic that's going to be sold too, are 'not my people' on or off the bike. :lolol: :lol: :lolol:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ask yourself this [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION].

Who else will be wearing that jersey, and do you want to be associated with them?

I agree it's a nice jersey (assuming the Wiggins bit isn't staying), but the demographic that's going to be sold too, are 'not my people' on or off the bike. :lolol: :lol: :lolol:

Very nicely put.

I'm having other feelings - as I'm training for a multi-sport event that dare not speak its name, I really want a power meter. Ridiculous as all I need to do is ride my bike more to get fitter but I'd quite like to have no previous standard to compare myself against and, therefore, feel the thrill of improving fitness again!!!

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
So after some surgery i'm back on the bike properly. Therefore I can come back on this thread which I tend to ignore when i'm not riding as I get jealous.

The last two Sundays i've gone out without breakfast. I'd read that it will improve your glycogen metabolism. On the first i felt fine, yesterday i struggled in parts.

Whats everyones view on this? Do people go out with just a coffee or is it as much porridge you can handle?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So after some surgery i'm back on the bike properly. Therefore I can come back on this thread which I tend to ignore when i'm not riding as I get jealous.

The last two Sundays i've gone out without breakfast. I'd read that it will improve your glycogen metabolism. On the first i felt fine, yesterday i struggled in parts.

Whats everyones view on this? Do people go out with just a coffee or is it as much porridge you can handle?
With bells on, when preparing for a proper ride.

So much so in fact I usual feel a little nauseous for the first few miles, until I get into some kind of rhythm.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Can't abide porridge.

Usually I will have a couple of pieces of toast (one marmite, one bovril) prior to setting off.

If I ride on Monday or Thursday, I ride on nothing but coffee - I don't eat on these days, until an evening salad with grilled fish. I have not yet found this to be a problem.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Can't abide porridge.

Usually I will have a couple of pieces of toast (one marmite, one bovril) prior to setting off.

If I ride on Monday or Thursday, I ride on nothing but coffee - I don't eat on these days, until an evening salad with grilled fish. I have not yet found this to be a problem.

I thought I was weird having toast before a ride. Marmalade for me though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm MASSIVE on porridge even weening myself off the need to make it with milk. Porridge with a chopped banana and raisins mixed in. I've even let this set before and taken out for a snack during a ride!

You can't beat a bit of porridge.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't abide porridge.

5-2 diet. Like it, no wonder you were looking so trim when I saw you in Sainsbury's!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm MASSIVE on porridge even weening myself off the need to make it with milk. Porridge with a chopped banana and raisins mixed in. I've even let this set before and taken out for a snack during a ride!

You can't beat a bit of porridge.

Yeah, but if pcol takes the advice of the Bold Seagull, he will also have to pack 15 bananas, and eat one every five miles or so. And gels. And Energy Bars.

Ride your bike BS, stop fidgeting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here