Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bloody Sunday - Soldier to be prosecuted

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Be interesting what corbyn's reaction to this is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you and i both know this is utter bollox.....they were put there by our govt. a lot of them were only 17 , 18 ......some didn't come back ....on this matter the left needs to button it.

I don’t know enough about it to make an informed comment I’m afraid, will do some reading on it tonight.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A mate of mine, an ex Para, served in the Falklands, Ireland and other theatres, is quite open in admitting that atrocities were committed by both sides. But to judge him or anyone else by the standards of 2019 when this incident was played out in the 1970s is ridiculous.

He was 17 when he joined, 18 when he did his first tour and was shot at several times by IRA gunmen hiding in family areas of Belfast.

Sending kids with automatic weapons to police a demo where the protestors hate you and would gladly chop your bollocks off if they caught you, was asking for trouble.

Murray points out that the soldiers lied to try and evade prosecution and imprisonment...hardly a surprise...so what? If we have to send this individual to jail to maintain peace...again...so what? If he hadn’t been sent there with an SLR by HM Govt. then no one would have died. Give him a community service order and just move the **** on.

There isn't one rule for the IRA and different one for the military. There was no amnesty for crimes which had not been prosecuted.

People suspected of terrorism are still liable for prosecution. for example : There are still attempts to extradite John Downey so that he can be prosecuted for a double murder.

That is because Downey was not given an OTR letter. Many were which basically said they would not be pursued for crimes allegedly committed before the GFA. This prosecution is just an example of one rule for them and another for those who served.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Be interesting what corbyn's reaction to this is.

i think he would turn it into somethin chucklesome like he always does

James Corden.png

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sunday Bloody Sunday.

You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sunday Bloody Sunday.

You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"

I think of that mirror shaded arsebit Bonio and his diligent tax avoidance and moral posturing. If he’d been shot by the Paras I’d be advocating medals rather than jail.

In fact. If Sinn Fein offered us his head on a plate in return for some retired old boys from 1&2 Para to spend a year in ford open prison with day release...I’d go for that.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
That is because Downey was not given an OTR letter. Many were which basically said they would not be pursued for crimes allegedly committed before the GFA. This prosecution is just an example of one rule for them and another for those who served.

That's not true

Downey was given an OTR letter.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

That Spectator article seemed to suggest the soldiers were offered some sort of amnesty too:

The Saville inquiry had promised immunity from further legal action to all witnesses who told the truth about their actions on the day.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I think of that mirror shaded arsebit Bonio and his diligent tax avoidance and moral posturing. If he’d been shot by the Paras I’d be advocating medals rather than jail.

In fact. If Sinn Fein offered us his head on a plate in return for some retired old boys from 1&2 Para to spend a year in ford open prison with day release...I’d go for that.

I was just thinking of THAT f-ing song too :rant:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't usually get involved with threads such as this but feel it is worth noting that "....The PPS said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute 16 other soldiers and two Official IRA men.... so I assume that the investigations were pretty thorough.

Good point...

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
He's getting tried. Doesn't mean he's getting found guilty. Maybe see what the trial brings up before branding it a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here