Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalties and offside goals this season

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That's a tired cliche though. Last season I think on the whole we were fairly treated.

This season, if we are to believe the "it all evens out principle" I think we are due some luck.

We've had some absolutely stonewall penalties ignored lately.

Well no, last season on the whole, we weren't fairly treated. Sorry, I can't find the link, but someone produced a table after all the clear wrong decisions were corrected and Albion were the club who had suffered most from poor decisions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well no, last season on the whole, we weren't fairly treated. Sorry, I can't find the link, but someone produced a table after all the clear wrong decisions were corrected and Albion were the club who had suffered most from poor decisions.

I thought luck evened itself out over a season, but it turns out you’re right.

For season 2017/18, ex PL referee Peter Walton teamed up with Bath Uni, analysing all key contentious decisions by the officials. The Albion were the biggest losers, finishing 6 places and 6 points lower, as a result of errors.

I couldn’t get their before and after tables to fit as a phone image, but you’re find by googling those references.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I reckon if VAR was in this season we'd be on 40 points by now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Both Wolves and Huddersfield (A) had gone penalty shouts against us that weren't given,

For us, besides the ones already mentioned: Murray was clean through against Southampton but was deemed to have fouled the defender (a really soft decision) and there was the West Ham goal that looked it had gone over the dead ball line before it was crossed.

West Ham dead ball line incident was adjudged correctly although, like you, I thought it was out initially.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This was in the Leicester game.

However, the rules for that is actually penalty was the correct decision.

If the player is offside, but not ‘active’ and then is fouled before playing the ball (which is what happened), then the Penalty overrules the Offside as the Penalty happened before the ‘offside’ as they weren’t active in the play (apparently - this is just what I’ve seen/read so I’m just repeating what I’ve seen).
I disputed this at the time, and was told what you've just said. However, if it actually said about them being active, then I'd change my opinion back to it being an incorrect decision, as the tackle would only come in because they were already active, and therefore already offside. It depends what the laws state.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Izzy handball in our area, I can’t remember against who, or if it was even this season, Izzy’s penalty against Palace in the first game wasn’t a penalty, but Murray should have had one, the goal Balogun scored from the corner in the same game wasn’t a corner.
Well no it shouldn't have been a corner, it should have been a penalty to us (Murray), and therefore Duffy wouldn't have been sent off.

When was the Chelsea goal that was miles offside (player coming back onto the pitch)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here