Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am well aware you have wide and varied tastes, so the Donkey cock option doesn't surprise me, but you have refused to answer the question before, I don't see the value in trawling back to find the examples. But thank you for doing so now, sort of.

Nope, not true

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
interesting point you make there, this is to do with EU-Japan trade deal making production outside Japan unnecessary, so factory closes regardless of UK's EU status. which is a shame as for decades they've been making a very reliable car that beat others in class.

It makes no sense that they would swap a plant that employs 3500 highly skilled workers located a stone's throw away from one of their biggest markets in favour of relocating back to Japan. There are famously documented shortages of skilled labourers here and they would also be subject to vastly increased shipping costs to transport all those now Japan-side built cars back to Europe. If The UK remained in the EU, these Japanese car companies would still have tariff free access to the European market without having to worry about the costs of relocating back to Japan, training up a boat load of unskilled Brazilian migrants to the same level as the highly skilled British workers and shipping a shit load of cars the best part of 6000 miles from where they were built.

You have given in to knee-jerk contrarianism and failed to think this post through before posting it up in haste for point scoring purposes.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It makes no sense that they would swap a plant that employs 3500 highly skilled workers located a stone's throw away from one of their biggest markets in favour of relocating back to Japan, where there are famously documented shortages in skilled labourers and where they would be subject to vastly increased shipping costs to transport all the now Japan-side built cars back to Europe.

You have given in to knee-jerk contrarianism and failed to think this post through before posting it up in haste for point scoring purposes.

also make little sense to announce closure of plant weeks from knowing the future outcome of UK status in EU wouldnt you say? unless they've a plan to spin up a plant in EU in the next couple of years.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
unless they've a plan to spin up a plant in EU in the next couple of years.

I suspect this is more likely given the logistical points I mentioned earlier. Check the shipping route that Japanese built cars have to take to get to Europe......

http://www.nissancarrier.co.jp/en/service_01_02.html

That must cost a pretty penny. Certainly more than just driving them through the channel tunnel anyway.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
also make little sense to announce closure of plant weeks from knowing the future outcome of UK status in EU wouldnt you say? unless they've a plan to spin up a plant in EU in the next couple of years.

I'm afraid the tone from the government has been very toxic, maybe if we cancelled Brexit the decision could be reversed, but that is unlikely and they've had enough

Trade relations between us and Japan aren't good at all now, they've invested billions in our country and feel betrayed. The Japanese are incredibly loyal in business but have their limits

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I suspect this is more likely given the logistical points I mentioned earlier. Check the shipping route that Japanese built cars have to take to get to Europe......

That must cost a pretty penny. Certainly more than just driving them through the channel tunnel anyway.

Also worth pointing out full zero tariff from Japan won't occur until 2027.......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

chap from Honda say production moving to Japan, China, US, due to investment focusing on electrification, and European market too small for production in Europe. apparently they dont even sell all the Swindon production in EU, ship out to US as there's insufficient demand. very surprised by that, as thought they were popular, certainly get the ratings, but half the sales of 10 years ago.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is a balanced view on Honda leaving. It is not all down to brexit but brexit makes it easy. https://twitter.com/robinbharding/status/1097756788588335106?s=21

Prof David Bailey from Aston Business School said this morning Brexit was a large factor in Honda's decision, but you know we shouldn't listen to experts

Like so many things that have happened in UK economy in the past year, Brexit is not the only factor but has pushed things over the edge as acted as the perfect catalyst.

Still its not all doom and gloom, cheaper clothing and footwear all their way...........well at least in USD terms the only currency JRM understands

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
John Oliver's long section, on Sunday's show, was about Brexit.
It's well worth checking out (sadly 'not available in your region) as it's done for the American audience I like to think even Brexiteers could understand some of the words.

They've a clip from a flower wholesaler absolutely shatting himself over Brexit, the border, his business, staff, house, everything.

Anyone care to guess which way a man who is completely tied to the Netherlands voted?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep they're phasing it in slowly. Obviously there are other factors as well as Brexit that have affected Honda's decision but to say leaving the EU has had NO effect is very disingenuous.

Nice footer on your email Mental Lental, people and their hobbies...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1097762465746771968[/tweet]

This oldie but goodie could probably be updated as well:-

DzwZB-JXgAAJqwg.png

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Nothing bizzarre about it at all.I have had enough of being talked down to and abused by posters who for some reason think they are superior to Leavers.In reality,you are all a bunch of sulky waste of oxygen,repeating fake news from twitter and glorifying in any bad news,real or imagined,you can find.Time to grow up,and get your heads round the fact we are Leaving.If you can't find it in yourselves to support this country,find one you like.Sling your hook.

You patronising arse. I know we're leaving. I think I'm grown up, although at 46 you could argue that I'm still a baby in regards to some of the posters on here. And I do have my head around the fact that we're leaving, I just can't bring myself to stick my head in the sand and pretend that it's all going to be ok. I'll be fine, my firm has a passport to operate in the EU, but I just feel incredibly sorry for the people who are already being impacted and who will be impacted in the future, who were sold a bunch of lies.

We're on our way.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

You see, everyone constantly talking Brexit down, when these go ahead types are perfectly positioned to see the benefits.

I bet they believed.

I've got a funny feeling that [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION], [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION], [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION], [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION], [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] etc etc will currently be moving their assets offshore and sorting out their residencies preparing for Brexit whilst all the Remoaners just keep sitting around posting links that make Brexit look bad :shrug:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here