Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Advice please - thinking of getting a road bike. Currently pootling around on an MTB whilst I recover from a long term running injury and quite enjoying it so will continue even once I'm back running properly, but it's a bit slow and boring averaging 14-15mph and getting passed by old men on lighter machines. Any recommendations ? Looking for a cheapish option (max say £800-1000) that would suit mid Sussex country lanes for rides up to 3-4 hours. Complete novice at this..........

I'm getting myself one, well as soon as my employer gets its backside into gear with my Cycle To Work scheme voucher. Can't wait. I'm going to order a Giant road bike. They seem to do fairly decent bikes for us relative novices and they have a main dealer shop in Shoreham. Staff seemed very helpful when I went in.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah, if they could keep the snow off the camera lenses it would be a start!

It's days like this that I think how utterly miserable it must be to be a pro cyclist sometimes.

The stream I'm watching has Lloyd and Kirby completely clueless about who is where on the road!!!

I love days like this, makes me feel a lot better about my life choices!

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
The stream I'm watching has Lloyd and Kirby completely clueless about who is where on the road!!!

I love days like this, makes me feel a lot better about my life choices!

I currently have them too, before the Aussies step in later, it's watching like before they had transponders or loads of mobile cameras I imagine.

Some days, when the legs feel good and the sun is shining I can't think of anything better than riding my bike, but days like today in Italy...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have been out in the Sussex drizzle this morning (guilted into it by SB going on snout getting out in the rain yesterday). It was lovely. It can't be worse in Italy, can it? I don't know what the fuss is all about. :wink:

This happens EVERY year in the Giro, and it's magnificent.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Advice please - thinking of getting a road bike. Currently pootling around on an MTB whilst I recover from a long term running injury and quite enjoying it so will continue even once I'm back running properly, but it's a bit slow and boring averaging 14-15mph and getting passed by old men on lighter machines. Any recommendations ? Looking for a cheapish option (max say £800-1000) that would suit mid Sussex country lanes for rides up to 3-4 hours. Complete novice at this..........

I'm getting myself one, well as soon as my employer gets its backside into gear with my Cycle To Work scheme voucher. Can't wait. I'm going to order a Giant road bike. They seem to do fairly decent bikes for us relative novices and they have a main dealer shop in Shoreham. Staff seemed very helpful when I went in.

At that price you will get a lovely bike whichever brand you go for. Push yourself to just above the £1000 mark and you can sort yourself with a basic all carbon bike - and it's well worth the extra investment.

As Edna says, it's all about the Local Bike Shop (LBS). They should let you try out various models, and their advice is invaluable - not just at the point of purchase, but as an ongoing relationship. So if you don't like the service, or the people in your LBS, go somewhere else.

I don't know where you are, but I find Rayments (just off Preston Circus) excellent, others swear by South Downs Bikes.

But whatever you do, try before you buy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=4317]algie[/MENTION] over year's worth of symptoms sounds like damage not bruising, but I hope it is due to unsuitable seating which might resolve.
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] you'll get plenty of choice for that price. Whatever you, do (@edna krabappel too) get a proper fitting and be influenced by what feels comfortable.

Watching the Giro now. Wonder why Brad and Cav chose the ToC over this as prep for the TdF?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Hi Geeks, road bike advice please. I'm getting pins and needles in my hands after about 15km - clearly I'm putting too much weight through my hands when I am riding.

What can I do? Lower the saddle? Try a shorter stem?

My bike is due it's 6 month check up at the store I bought it from soon, so I'll pick their brain too.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've only ridden in whether like this once before, and I ended up falling off! Seriously scary conditions at the Giro today:

Boo6XomIQAAUQv1.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION]

You will have to wait until after today's Giro stage for proper answers. There is a pretty important race going on you know!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Chalapud up the road, Pantano and Arredondo just attacked out of the peloton.

And it's welcome to yet another day of picking the wrong Colombian for the break again.

One day I had 50p ew on THREE of them to cover all bases, and still got it wrong! :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Exactly! There's nothing worse for taking the fun out of things than making it a chore.

Spot on! I can't imagine a single profession in fact that wouldn't become a chore in the end.

You could forgive a pro cyclist for never wanting to sit on a bike again once they've retired. Although plenty clearly do still keep the love for it.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
My only trip to the dolimites to see the Giro seven years ago and it snowed heavily one day on top of the climb, we waited very cold thinking the cyclists may not come over, but up they came, and they looked at us as if we were the mad ones.

My only trip to the giro was for this stage last year and, guess what? The riders didn't come up! Mountain TT was a good trade off though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone any idea what time the stage should finish today?

I have an appointment at 4.25pm. I might have to ring to cancel.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Geeks, road bike advice please. I'm getting pins and needles in my hands after about 15km - clearly I'm putting too much weight through my hands when I am riding.

What can I do? Lower the saddle? Try a shorter stem?

My bike is due it's 6 month check up at the store I bought it from soon, so I'll pick their brain too.

Change hand position often. Tense the muscles in your fore-arms to get the blood pumping.

I don't know what your riding position is, but I do know that lots of people have high saddle-low handle bars because the pros do. This could well result in too much weight through your arms.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First we get a moderator now we get a girly moderator.

I'm calling an EGM, something going on here, I think they are onto us.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION]

You will have to wait until after today's Giro stage for proper answers. There is a pretty important race going on you know!

Oi! I'm doing my best!

But yeah, I'm probably not geeky enough for 'proper answers'.

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here