Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Replace Smith with another immovable object, can someone pull his face to see if it’s Smith with an elaborate mask on? :lolol:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Groomed in the CC. Shame the English players don’t have the same experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed! He leaves the ball exceptionally well particularly on length I’ve noticed, makes our batsman look even more tragic. Both batting line ups are poor tbh but the Aussies have a couple of players who manage to stick around and we don’t

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No England cricketers play or practice red ball in the English summer.
No county players play or practice red ball in the English summer

Its really simple. We are not producing red ball cricketers because no one plays red ball in an English summer.
And it will only get worse.

And yet loads of tourists seem to get practice playing for counties?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just back from tiffin and saw a picture of Archer walking like he's cacked his pants, what happened?

Cramp, he's back on now but won't bowl tonight.....Convicts 5 down but the lead is an almost unattainable 268, that's the Ashes chaps. Time to re-build in preparation to getting slaughtered next time out in Oz.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Labuschagne looks like some player.

I haven't looked up the stats but it wouldn't surprise me if he had faced more balls in the CC in the season than the entire England top order. That's something for the selectors to ponder

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Labuschagne looks like some player.

I haven't looked up the stats but it wouldn't surprise me if he had faced more balls in the CC in the season than the entire England top order. That's something for the selectors to ponder

He plays like a test match batsman, not rocket science, unlike our 2 stroke Charlie's.

Dec 29, 2011
A question. What's the difference between test and ODI cricket for batters. Obviously you have to be more patient but in ODI Roy was regularly making 50-100. How come he's struggling to get 20 in a test match, in theory couldn't he play like it's an ODI and score more than he is current?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A question. What's the difference between test and ODI cricket for batters. Obviously you have to be more patient but in ODI Roy was regularly making 50-100. How come he's struggling to get 20 in a test match, in theory couldn't he play like it's an ODI and score more than he is current?

It's not quite that simple for a few reasons. Namely the red ball swings more than the white ball. Fields are very different and bowlers bowl different areas.

Test cricket is more of an examination of your technique, you might get lucky a few times but the law of averages dictates you will lose your wicket if you play too expansively.

A fine line between being aggressive and reckless. Roy doesn't know how to leave the ball, he wants to continually go at the bowler which may work in One Day cricket but won't be successful in tests.

Sehwag was possibly the most adventurous opener but he could still play to conditions, this is something Roy needs to learn very quickly, he has talent.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

Yes I agree with Big Nuts. They were talking about this on tv today and the big issue is the ball. The white ball in ODI cricket does not move nearly as much as the red ball and a batsman can play aggressive shots with confidence in that knowledge.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes I agree with Big Nuts. They were talking about this on tv today and the big issue is the ball. The white ball in ODI cricket does not move nearly as much as the red ball and a batsman can play aggressive shots with confidence in that knowledge.

Roy may well be better suited to test cricket away from England. Less lateral movement and he can play through the line a lot more like ODI cricket. Batting is tough for anyone when the duke ball is hooping around. If he plays in Asia or Australia with a Kookaburra he may get better results.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's true. Pitches tend to be more batsman friendly too and there are more stringent rules on short pitched bowling - batsmen face a lot less chin music in white ball cricket

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here