Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Second Ashes Test - Lord's 14th-18th August 2019

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Name me an opener who doesn't offer chances or play and miss a bit. They need luck more than more players (and that's coming from a former opening bowler).

As an aside, I don't think I've ever seen someone score a hundred without offering up a single chance throughout the innings.

Another member of the bowling openers union here. 'Former' also being the operative for me too.

Yes, they will play and miss, but Burns seems to have a lot of ironable deficiencies.

The angle of his shoulder versus the bat is the most noticeable. He seems to push across the line of the ball more than most. He doesn't seem to be aware of where his off stump is. I can see why they come over the wicket too him so much.

If I had to name an opener who was best at leaving I'd say Mark Taylor.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
England have been relatively lucky, 2 absolute dollies dropped and a couple of other missed catch chances could have been a lot worse. As I write this Stokes nicks just past slip.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolute toilet.

Goodbye Ashes, hello 0-5 humiliation. Feel good factor after world cup lasted didn't it! :nono:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are the selectors seriously saying there is no one in the shires who can hold down a number 5 slot more capably than Buttler ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Commentators saying it’s the line, that ball wouldn’t have hit 2 sets of stumps ffs

WTF was that from Bairstow first ball, nearly bowled again

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We shouldn't be that surprised. I think I'm right in saying only Root in this team averages above 36 with the bat...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hopefully get a full days play today. Although Friday doesn't look too hopeful and Saturday a bit damp. Can't see this one getting a result.

View attachment 114329
I think the Aussies ARE pretty keen to get a result. 2-0 here and they are pretty much home and hosed in the series. Have to hope we can hang around in bat long enough to take the draw sadly......

Can't see us getting anything from a game where we are 138-5.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well done ECB, set an England Team up to win the World Cup and lose the Ashes. Perhaps they thought with the Football season started no one would notice?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You can understand playing that sweep shot if the ball is outside the line but what on Earth is Stokes thinking playing that shot to a straight ball? There’s just no discipline and poor shot choices, remenants of the World Cup success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here