Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Watford *** Official Match Thread ***

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How I saw it. Clearly the better team and played well second half. 2 points dropped but not the end of the world and we will win a few more home games this season given who we’ve got.

Played better than we did against Wolves and Everton I thought.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We did everything right, bar the obvious and another point - all good stuff

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Played better than we did against Wolves and Everton I thought.

Yes agree Hughton really needs to look at that last last twenty minutes and realise how different our wide players reacted to a quick striker which helped. This also allows our midfield and fullbacks to attack rather than play more negative!Played some quality football worthy of winning any game in that period! Gross and Murray to slow and predictable for too long at times again today!

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
My opinion so don't get all upset.

Man of the match - Ben Foster
Man I don't miss - Dale Stephens, find Biss a much better option
Man not good enough at this level - Bong, sadly he looks out of his depth

Watford are as poor as us with possession. I guess their little bit more experience puts them a bit above us in the league standings. But, to be fair, I don't see them as anything other than average. Couple more seasons at this level and we'll be standing above them. 0-0 is disappointing, but it's a point I'm happy for us to take.

Oh god 🤦*♂️

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I know it's not much comfort when you've just lost a sizeable bet but I'm so glad you're now fit and healthy mate.

A big win is just round the corner - I've told myself that enough times in the last 20 years!

normally only do 4 or 5 leg acca's , got greedy .......stay warm mate , looks shit over there .

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Screenshot from 2019-02-03 04-21-27.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No they weren’t!

They set up for a draw and got one!

They didn’t give us an inch & defended very well indeed!
If they defended well, then we must have been impressive to create the chances we did. We should have scored a couple.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What was the injury that Stephens picked up? Is it expected to be longish term. like a couple of weeks out.?

Didn't Hughton say "he felt his hip?"

In his post match interview on the radio, CH said DS had a sore hip in training Friday, but declared himself OK on Saturday. He then 'felt it' again in the pre-match warm-up so they decided not to risk him, hence the late change. Nothing said on expected time out etc.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ben Foster kept Watford in the game we had 21 chance com paired to their 5

March was outstanding and the team as a whole put in a shift, on another day we would have won by two or three

But it's a point another point towards safety onwards and upwards

Brighton & HA 0 Watford 0

View pretty well unaminious

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...1626266/brighton-will-be-disappointed-to-draw

Although Brighton created about 17 chances (21 shots recorded), only eight of them were actually close, including four saves and four misses. Most from open play. This should be good enough for a win given the average rub of the green.

Down to diligent defending by Watford and less than exquisite shooting and heading by Brighton. And Foster's quick reactions.

Half chances:

1) Pröpper, narrow angle far post, shot wide. Groß fk.
2) Locadia header well saved. Groß op.
HT
3) Murray heads over. Groß fk.
4) Locadia header well saved. Groß op.
5) Duffy overhead kick, very well saved, corner
6) Andone one on two, well saved op.
7) Andone, swivel and shot, narrow miss op.
8) Bissouma, unchallenged shot from the edge of the box, narrow miss, op.

Other one third chances missed by March (shot), Groß (shot), Dunk (header), March (good defending), Murray (good defending), Bong (missed chance), Duffy (missed chance), Locadia (shot), Groß (shot).

Watford's three opportunities were one in twenty chances, if that. Score could have been 7-0 (HT 2-0) on a good day. I had a bet on for 5-1 @ 200/1.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In his post match interview on the radio, CH said DS had a sore hip in training Friday, but declared himself OK on Saturday. He then 'felt it' again in the pre-match warm-up so they decided not to risk him, hence the late change. Nothing said on expected time out etc.

I overheard – while queueing for a half-time Bovril –*he was out until April... :moo:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A pleasing point

Good performance, solid at the back, dominated the midfield and just lacked a little bit of luck/rub of the green in the final third. Another point closer to the promised land of PL football 2019/20 we desperately crave. With Huddersfield and FUlham losing again they're cut adrift so it's only 1 relegation spot up for grabs and we've still got Cardiff at home, win that and we're pretty much home and hosed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hughtons negative tactics....

We played three forwards, and had 21 shots at goal. We failed to win only because the opposition keeper turned in a 9/10 performance. Everybody is frustrated not to secure the win, but the tactics were demonstrably not 'negative'.

...will take us down

That remains to be seen. (Though even if it comes to that, I'd argue that it was poor decision making and lack of quality on the field, rather than 'tactics')

If you are so sure, a £10 bet now will pay for your 2019/20 Championship season ticket. Fill your boots.

Worst perm side I’ve seen

I can't contradict this, as I don't know how many games you've watched - but if your really believe that to be the case, it can't be many. We have played a dozen opposition sides worse on the day than Watford were, and have ourselves been worse a whole lot more.

no wonder bong locadia and March looked average today

Bong was solid, and played a couple of really good passes releasing Locadia. Locadia himself was up and down - went to sleep for a bit, but was excellent for the last 25 minutes. March was terrific, however much it pains you to praise him. Of course in your perma-negative view our players looked okay, because Watford were so 'poor'. It couldn't be that Watford (8th in the Prem) were made to look 'poor' because our players didn't let them perform?

By the time hughton tried to win games it will b to late

He's clearly trying to win games now, so it is already 'to late'? Get that bet on. Put your money where your whiny mouth is.

Should of kept Murray on with andone

I'd have liked that too, but the formation he stuck with did continue to produce chances.

Knocky for locadia

Perhaps, but the final 25 minutes were comfortably Locadia's best period of the game. Why sub him when he is looking most effective? If anything, the pace of Alireza might have been worth a try against the ponderous Janmaat.

Every other team try to win

You've told us Watford didn't? :shrug:

hughton gets a hard on over defending

Some 'get a hard on' out of going on the internet and spouting barely legible, confrontation, trolling drivel.

Each to their own.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We played three forwards, and had 21 shots at goal. We failed to win only because the opposition keeper turned in a 9/10 performance. Everybody is frustrated not to secure the win, but the tactics were demonstrably not 'negative'.

That remains to be seen. (Though even if it comes to that, I'd argue that it was poor decision making and lack of quality on the field, rather than 'tactics')

If you are so sure, a £10 bet now will pay for your 2019/20 Championship season ticket. Fill your boots.

I can't contradict this, as I don't know how many games you've watched - but if your really believe that to be the case, it can't be many. We have played a dozen opposition sides worse on the day than Watford were, and have ourselves been worse a whole lot more.

Bong was solid, and played a couple of really good passes releasing Locadia. Locadia himself was up and down - went to sleep for a bit, but was excellent for the last 25 minutes. March was terrific, however much it pains you to praise him. Of course in your perma-negative view our players looked okay, because Watford were so 'poor'. It couldn't be that Watford (8th in the Prem) were made to look 'poor' because our players didn't let them perform?

He's clearly trying to win games now, so it is already 'to late'? Get that bet on. Put your money where your whiny mouth is.

I'd have liked that too, but the formation he stuck with did continue to produce chances.

Perhaps, but the final 25 minutes were comfortably Locadia's best period of the game. Why sub him when he is looking most effective? If anything, the pace of Alireza might have been worth a try against the ponderous Janmaat.

Some 'get a hard on' out of going on the internet and spouting barely legible, confrontation, trolling drivel.

Each to their own.

Blimey you're good, nine shots on target, and all hitting the back of the net :D

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Each to their own.
Thought the saves were quite routine to be honest, would of expected Maty to save the Locadia headed attempts. We didn’t really create a clear chance all game personally thought CH had settled for the draw on 60 minutes had we been a goal down we would of seen Knockhaert and AJ come on. Personally thought the game was crying out for AK also what’s the point of paying 17m for a player and not play him when we are desperate for the points against teams that we could of beat at home. For the second home game in a row I felt we could of played all night with that team selection and not scored. Interestly I thought for the very first time in Hughton’s reign the North was getting disgruntled not going for the win singing for Knocky to come on. 3 points against Watford and they weren’t that good would of been huge we really should of changed the attacking options.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We have some seriously deluded fans, probably JCLs from the Amex era which is fair enough....

Is there any realistic argument / justification that we are a better team than West Ham, Leicester, Bournemouth or Everton?

The way I look at it, we are 'top' of the bottom third table in the league which feels about right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here