Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As I pointed out some weeks ago: he wants Brexit and he wants it to be a disaster - the worse the better. We have an election in 2022 and Tories would find it very hard, nay impossible, to win in the midst of a two-year recession.

All those who bemoan Corbyn's inertia are completely missing the point. if he does anything to soften Brexit then it may not be an economic disaster. His big chance of seizing power is a no-deal Brexit.

Many tweeters have said they'll never vote Labour again for this attitude.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As I pointed out some weeks ago: he wants Brexit and he wants it to be a disaster - the worse the better. We have an election in 2022 and Tories would find it very hard, nay impossible, to win in the midst of a two-year recession.

All those who bemoan Corbyn's inertia are completely missing the point. if he does anything to soften Brexit then it may not be an economic disaster. His big chance of seizing power is a no-deal Brexit.

seems a rather narrow and flawed strategy: if there is any other scenario, no brexit, brexit lite, brexit pinky-russet, no deal without economic collapse etc, the voters may not flock to Labour while alienating some of the pro-remain vote. it may be a factor, to be able to claim no responsibility, but i dont think he's that calculating, its simply he's a leaver.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The last line does both interest and to some degree, scare me. To be part of something where the exit is 'unnegotiable' does not bode well in a free, democratic and changing society.

The last line does both interest and to some degree, scare me. To be part of something where the exit is 'unnegotiable' does not bode well in a free, democratic and changing society.

It is the exit *which was promised* which is impossible to negotiate - the one based on the claim that we could leave the EU and then royally take the p*ss by cherry-picking what we want from the single market without paying in or following the rules. We've now reached the point where fantasy meets reality and as someone once said, reality is to Brexit as daylight is to vampires. Even now, May is still trying to find a way to stop the sun coming up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So Labour are not backing an amendment that they wanted the PM to meet before talking.

Scenes.

Whatever happens with Brexit, Labour need to ditch Corbyn. This is without doubt the worst government in my lifetime and there is no opposition holding them to account. Labour has plenty of good people but they aren't on the front bench

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Isn't it strange that nobody asked Aldi?

No, why would it be strange when so many other supermarkets and retailers are there, anyway Lidl are in in it which is pretty much the same thing.
How many other huge companies have got to warn us about Brexit before the penny finally drops that we are in for a shit load of trouble if this idiotic farce continues.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Take a look at Corbyn's and Abbott's voting history on some of the key wrong decisions this country as made, from wars, to bombings to changes in rights, and you'll see they are on the right side of history. It wasn't the Tories who were going to stop Blair taking us to war in Iraq, for which he is now held by many as a war criminal, and yet at the time the likes of Corbyn and Abbott are called soft lefties for standing up for what they believed in.

You can check any politicians voting record here before making rash comments: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10133/jeremy_corbyn/islington_north/votes
Come on sweetheart defending an argument based on the Tories not oposing the even Toryier Blair is hardly the soundest foundation, is it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is the exit *which was promised* which is impossible to negotiate - the one based on the claim that we could leave the EU and then royally take the p*ss by cherry-picking what we want from the single market without paying in or following the rules. We've now reached the point where fantasy meets reality and as someone once said, reality is to Brexit as daylight is to vampires. Even now, May is still trying to find a way to stop the sun coming up.

When we were in we wanted to opt out of as much as possible, now we are leaving we are desperate to keep all the good bits.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
After not knowing form one day to the next where this is headed I am now preparing for the worst type of crash out No Deal Brexit.

I am stockpiling tinned foods, soups, pasta, dried fruits and other long life foodstuffs as well as trying to get some extra freezer space. Also painkillers and other basic medicines, hygiene products and other toiletries.

Also gerry cans of petrol.

I am so disappointed that it is 2019 in the 6th wealthiest nation on earth and I am doing this. Even more disappointed that it was voted for. It's really very upsetting.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A recession and austerity just wasn't enough for the 'great British public' oh no, we have actually voted to put us in the position of an unknown cliff edge disaster, or a disastrous deal.
You could not make up how stupid we have been, we are a laughing stock on European and worldwide TV programmes.
Well done leave voters, still at least we are 'on our way'.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whatever happens with Brexit, Labour need to ditch Corbyn. This is without doubt the worst government in my lifetime and there is no opposition holding them to account. Labour has plenty of good people but they aren't on the front bench

I would find it impossible to vote for them under his leadership.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
After not knowing form one day to the next where this is headed I am now preparing for the worst type of crash out No Deal Brexit.

I am stockpiling tinned foods, soups, pasta, dried fruits and other long life foodstuffs as well as trying to get some extra freezer space. Also painkillers and other basic medicines, hygiene products and other toiletries.

Also gerry cans of petrol.

I am so disappointed that it is 2019 in the 6th wealthiest nation on earth and I am doing this. Even more disappointed that it was voted for. It's really very upsetting.

how far you think you'll need to go, week long or months? petrol is very dangerous to have around, better to get a diesel. dont forget supplies of water, gas, lighting (deep cycle marine batteries are suitable i have read). should probably consider silver coins and MRE rations for the long haul. forget the freezer, might not be power for it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
how far you think you'll need to go, week long or months? petrol is very dangerous to have around, better to get a diesel. dont forget supplies of water, gas, lighting (deep cycle marine batteries are suitable i have read). should probably consider silver coins and MRE rations for the long haul.

It's all in hand thank you.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still a lot of BS from the Brextremists about trading on WTO. Just 2 small hurdles to deal with

HURDLE ONE…

The UK has to produce its own schedule covering both services plus each of the 5,000-plus lines of goods covered in the WTO agreement. All the 163 WTO states have to agree

WE HAVE 31 DAYS OF PARLIAMENT LEFT TO SORT THIS

Slight problem is over 20 states have objected to our draft plans

ITS GETS WORSE

We’ve been blocked by WTO members from simply relying on the EU’s “schedule” – its existing tariffs and tariff-free trade quotas.

HURDLE TWO

A huge amount of legislation that would need to be passed before being able to trade under WTO rules: there are 9 statutes and 600 statutory instruments, all need to be adopted

AGAIN IT GETS WORSE

There are also some 120,000 EU statutes, some think these can just be cut and pasted into UK law and then gradually make changes. Not quite that simple, we’d have to set up new enforcement bodies and transfer new powers to regulators to create our own domestic regimes

WE'RE OUT OF TIME

Then there’s all the new trade deals, how many does Dr. Fox have ready?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We're not talking apocalypse prep here. Just some things that may be tricky to get hold of. Things like the cheap painkillers and other non expensive essentials. These are the things that supermarkets whack up in price and the first things they start running out of when demand is high.

I would imagine 3 months supply of such things should suffice. I keep about 6 weeks supply of most things in hand anyway so I'm not going to Tesco armed to the teeth in a modified Humvee with barbed wire and a gun turret. I'm just making a few preparation should we get caught out.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you really think the Eu part of Euratom means it is an EU entity,then you are even sillier than I thought.

I don't. I realise it's not.

So why did Theresa May's Article 50 notification letter include an explicit instruction that we were also leaving Euratom?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Isn't it strange that nobody asked Aldi?

Is it? If they had would they not just have been dismissed because they're German by the Brexiters? "Teutonic arrogance" and all that jazz?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here