Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Sun what an absolutely gutter press paper it really is!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Never buy the Sun, of course.

But the Sun is just one of a number of mouthpieces for the Murdoch empire. If Murdoch wants to close one and move it's message to one of its other outlets it can, and did with the News of the World.

But the Murdoch empire doesn't make much of it's money from print media any more. It mostly still exists not to make money but to push a political agenda.

If you want to hurt the Murdoch empire, cancelling your Sky Sports subscription, (which is what their real money spinner is) and telling everyone why your doing it is the only realistic thing you can do. I did for these reasons, and I hate missing all those Albion games, but feel a bit better about myself.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

But the Sun is just one of a number of mouthpieces for the Murdoch empire. If Murdoch wants to close one and move it's message to one of its other outlets it can, and did with the News of the World.

But the Murdoch empire doesn't make much of it's money from print media any more. It mostly still exists not to make money but to push a political agenda.

If you want to hurt the Murdoch empire, cancelling your Sky Sports subscription, (which is what their real money spinner is) and telling everyone why your doing it is the only realistic thing you can do. I did for these reasons, and I hate missing all those Albion games, but feel a bit better about myself.

They don't own SKY anymore

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm surprised the Daily Mail's assault, yesterday, on the RNLI didn't get a mention here.

The RNLI spend 2% of their donations saving the lives of 'brown people' around the world and the Mail lost its shite.

Thankfully many many thousands of people (clearly not the Mail readers) became aware of this and made significant donations.

I was listening to this story unfolding on LBC yesterday, James O'Brien said along the lines of " What kind of nation have we become when people object to the RNLI spending 2% of their budget trying to prevent children drowning in Bangladesh and Africa ? "

The Stoke's story is in the same vein in that it is a needless story that did not need to be told. After all that the RNLI do, and all that Ben Stokes has done ( especially since he was acquitted of affray ) for England these stories are a real slap in the face. I wonder what sort of editor says " Great story ! lets run it... Oh, and we will put the Stokes story on the front page ! " ? Surely time for the Pres Complaint's Commission to get real teeth and updated ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was listening to this story unfolding on LBC yesterday, James O'Brien said along the lines of " What kind of nation have we become when people object to the RNLI spending 2% of their budget trying to prevent children drowning in Bangladesh and Africa ? "

The Stoke's story is in the same vein in that it is a needless story that did not need to be told. After all that the RNLI do, and all that Ben Stokes has done ( especially since he was acquitted of affray ) for England these stories are a real slap in the face. I wonder what sort of editor says " Great story ! lets run it... Oh, and we will put the Stokes story on the front page ! " ? Surely time for the Pres Complaint's Commission to get real teeth and updated ?

I saw posts yesterday from people complaining about 'tax payers money being wasted' by the RNLI. This is the extent of the ignorance of some of the Mail readers.

1. The RNLI is solely funded by contributions.
2. Their accounts have always stated they use the 2% abroad to prevent drowning in flood hit areas, so the DM hasn't 'exposed' anything.

It is shit stirring in the extreme, but it has backfired spectacularly, because more people have donated to the RNLI and set up standing orders.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw posts yesterday from people complaining about 'tax payers money being wasted' by the RNLI. This is the extent of the ignorance of some of the Mail readers.

1. The RNLI is solely funded by contributions.
2. Their accounts have always stated they use the 2% abroad to prevent drowning in flood hit areas, so the DM hasn't 'exposed' anything.

It is shit stirring in the extreme, but it has backfired spectacularly, because more people have donated to the RNLI and set up standing orders.

I donate to the RNLI every now and then when they are collecting and, having heard this story unfold I'm seriously considering adding them to my other 2 standing order donations to charity. I think there is a silent majority that are fully supportive of the RNLI on this issue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have put this story, whatever it is, on ignore. I consider that I'd only be playing into the hands of the Sun if I find out what it is about ('family tragedy' is enough information for me).

Perhaps we shaould all do the same.

I have put this story, whatever it is, on ignore. I consider that I'd only be playing into the hands of the Sun if I find out what it is about ('family tragedy' is enough information for me).

Perhaps we shaould all do the same.
Once again we have a thread castigating x because they have have said y, without saying what y actually is! :rolleyes:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Once again we have a thread castigating x because they have have said y, without saying what y actually is! :rolleyes:

Y is using a journalist who is a convicted criminal to doorstep Ben Stokes' mother in New Zealand over a family tragedy that took place over 30 years ago.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Without Sky’s financial input into English Cricket, the central contract system wouldn’t have got off the ground, and Stokes wouldn’t earn the kind of money he currently does, unfortunately the downside is Sky and The Sun are from the same stable.

It is gutter journalism of the worse kind, but unfortunately if you lay down with dogs you might end up getting fleas.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So 14M leave voters are not Sun/Express/Mail readers................hmmm. Another stereotyping fail then.

Many of us know about your habit of making impenetrable remarks and then completely ignoring polite requests to clarify them, but I shall try.

*Clears throat*

"Your comment clearly implies that I am stereotyping Leave voters by suggesting they all read the Sun, Express or Mail, when in fact 14m of them (your figure) don't. Can you please explain where I have said anything of the sort, or indeed said anything other than the fact that the three newspapers described by another as toilet paper are also the leading Brexit-promoting tabloids."

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rather disingenuous of you to put 'brown people' in quotes like that. Implies that is a quote from the Daily Mail.

If I were quoting them I would have used " ", for a quotation.

Instead I used ' ' to indicate the subtext of the story.

borat

Jul 16, 2003

If you want to watch Brighton games at 3.pm and don't want to contribute to Sky I can point you in the direction of how to watch them. PM me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Without Sky’s financial input into English Cricket, the central contract system wouldn’t have got off the ground, and Stokes wouldn’t earn the kind of money he currently does, unfortunately the downside is Sky and The Sun are from the same stable.

It is gutter journalism of the worse kind, but unfortunately if you lay down with dogs you might end up getting fleas.

I don't really understand your point. Stokes earns a healthy sum from playing cricket, but he has no other choice but to enter into a central contract to play for England. Do all England players sign that contract with clause 2.4.1: if you sign this you'll have to accept all invasions of privacy into your private lives and those of your family?

Are you saying because they earn a certain amount of money, they have to accept this kind of gutter press?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
In some ways the Mail is worse than the Sun and it pretends to be a credible news source. That said the Telegraph these days isn't far behind...
I was wondering when the first poster to bring in the telegraph also would raise his ugly head, desperate to simplistically lump everyone together who does not share his opinion.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't really understand your point. Stokes earns a healthy sum from playing cricket, but he has no other choice but to enter into a central contract to play for England. Do all England players sign that contract with clause 2.4.1: if you sign this you'll have to accept all invasions of privacy into your private lives and those of your family?

Are you saying because they earn a certain amount of money, they have to accept this kind of gutter press?

It's nothing to do with money, unfortunately rags like this cant bear to see anyone being successful and will go out of their way to try and damage them, whether it be Beckham, Stokes, Sterling or even the likes of Tom Daley.

Await the stories about Jofra Archer growing up.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I was wondering when the first poster to bring in the telegraph also would raise his ugly head, desperate to simplistically lump everyone together who does not share his opinion.

Have you seen the quality of the comments left on stories in the Telegraph lately?

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have you seen the quality of the comments left on stories in the Telegraph lately?

Want to make this political, i.e. only talk about non-Labour papers, rather than NSC to reach a rare consensus about scummy antics by any papers? Then let’s bring in the disgraceful questioning by The Guardian of David Cameron’s grief over his disabled lad’s death. They only apologised after a furore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here