Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Middlesbrough Set To Sue EFL

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Limited don’t own their stadium...but I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

1aec60fc947f92e7afb9c28a1f76f087.jpg

As an aside.

I love how you have these spreadsheets at you finger tips, which prove whatever point needs making.

I guess I'm pretty much alone in this, and probably shouldn't be highlighting one of my many ignorance's, but to me they all could be in Chinese or hieroglyphics.

None of this, and I genuinely mean NONE, makes any sense to me, at all.
I'll hazard a guess there's many a 5 year old out there in that there big world who have a better understanding of those numbers, than me.

Anyway, as you were, crack on...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As an aside.

I love how you have these spreadsheets at you finger tips, which prove whatever point needs making.

I guess I'm pretty much alone in this, and probably shouldn't be highlighting one of my many ignorance's, but to me they all could be in Chinese or hieroglyphics.

I'll hazard a guess there's many a 5 year old out there in that there big world who have a better understanding of those numbers, than me.

The point I was making (perhaps clumsily) is that if the look at the Albion's balance sheet there are no property assets in it. These are owned by another company.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The point I was making (perhaps clumsily) is that if the look at the Albion's balance sheet there are no property assets in it. These are owned by another company.

Oh it really doesn't matter what the point is, or the balance sheet in question, you're not being clumsy, I'm just saying how painfully stupid I am!!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
If Boro go ahead with this plan I'll be interested to see how many key decisions/penalties are awarded against them on the pitch over the coming weeks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The sense of entitlement at clubs like Boro is mind-bending.

Regarding Woodgate, I had a feeling he might struggle as manager when Gibson appointed him. He'll be given time. Unfortunately for their fans that might lead to leaving the Championship in the southerly direction.

Not a fan of Boro, but they have a point with this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lot of clubs do things to get around the rules (apparently). Hard to prove it in the end as its worth what someone is willing to pay.
It's up to the governing bodies to make the rules, so they don't need to prove anything. Selling the ground to yourselves and pretending it's income is preposterous.

Sadly my view is that FFP is a solid idea, but VERY difficult to enforce as there are some very hard things to value around sponsorship and marketing.
See above. The clubs would have to sign up to the rules. Sponsorship is a good example - the governing body would need to be able to judge whether the company paying the fees were independent (eg, etihad for City aren't), and when they're not, use a fee similar to other clubs. If the club want to argue they should be allowed more, they need offers from recognised independent companies.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't know anything about him. Are you saying he's a large part of the problem?

A few months ago (before Bury were expelled from the EFL) I set up the Shaun Harvey Appreciation Thread (#SHAT for short) on Twitter to allow fans to show their appreciation of his contribution to the game...and it proved to be quite a popular thread.

[Tweet]1134321630228799489[/Tweet]

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Their fans assaulted our players after drawing with us. F**k Boro.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A few months ago (before Bury were expelled from the EFL) I set up the Shaun Harvey Appreciation Thread (#SHAT for short) on Twitter to allow fans to show their appreciation of his contribution to the game...and it proved to be quite a popular thread.
Quite a fan then.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think its a sense of entitlement to play by the rules and be annoyed when other clubs don't. Paul Barber made a big point of how we were sticking by it and clubs like Bournemouth and Leicester weren't, and I don't think that made us entitled. I think it's great that Middlesbrough are taking a stand, I wish more clubs were willing to rather than just playing along.

This.

Derby and Villa are cheats.

Selling an asset to a connected party, to generate a 'profit' to mask huge FFP overspends on players (cheating the competition with a far better squad than they'd otherwise be allowed to have).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Which gives all the thickets in the GOONSQUAD licence to say that BHA are actually "homeless" and don't own their own ground. Despite the fact that the holding company - The Community Stadium Ltd - is owned by...well, guess.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
This.

Derby and Villa are cheats.

Selling an asset to a connected party, to generate a 'profit' to mask huge FFP overspends on players (cheating the competition with a far better squad than they'd otherwise be allowed to have).

Don't forget MASSIVE...They have done exactly the same!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's perhaps of little surprise that the playoff final for the Championship last season was between Derby County (whose owner sold the stadium to himself for £80m) and Aston Villa (whose owners sold the stadium to themselves for £57 million) generating profits of £40m and £30m respectively and avoiding an estimated 8-10 point points deduction in doing so.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which gives all the thickets in the GOONSQUAD licence to say that BHA are actually "homeless" and don't own their own ground. Despite the fact that the holding company - The Community Stadium Ltd - is owned by...well, guess.

Brighton and Hove Albion Holdings Limited. The difference here is that the Albion did not sell the stadium to themselves to book a profit that even Linford Christie would describe as 'impressively large'.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
As an aside.

I'm glad you said it first!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
You miss the point that was made by another poster on this thread. Derby haven't broken any FFP law. It's a tad close to the line, granted but they haven't. Same with Leeds and Spygate last season. Sour grapes from Boro.

Entitlement: 'The expectation of special treatment from others'. Sounds about right, given the demand for points deductions for other clubs on a regular basis.

Sure there’s currently nothing in the FFP regs stipulating the valuation and sale of an asset by the club to an owner or third party owned solely by the owner of the club is not permitted but we all know it stinks from a spirit of the regs perspective.

I guess the challenge for me to understand is the fact they’re going after Derby a club who haven’t been promoted and therefore haven’t unduly benefitted from the situation at the expense of Boro.

I welcome their stance though as any kind of financial chicanery is wrong in my eyes.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
It's perhaps of little surprise that the playoff final for the Championship last season was between Derby County (whose owner sold the stadium to himself for £80m) and Aston Villa (whose owners sold the stadium to themselves for £57 million) generating profits of £40m and £30m respectively and avoiding an estimated 8-10 point points deduction in doing so.

Though I guess you can only sell the stadium to yourself once? What happens when (as in Derby's case) you need that extra £40M again the following season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here