Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion predicted to go from £12 million profit to £13m loss last season

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Strip out the reported/estimated figures are probably a bit high in terms of losses, the £2m comps for CH and £3-4m similar for Swansea for GP then closer to breakeven. If finish 15th instead of 17th then could wipe out the losses.

Many clubs do lose money in the PL though, including some whose fans throw stones.

View attachment 114952

It's a slightly odd graph in that the operating profit (at least in Burnley's case, and I think it's general) is after deducting the costs of buying players (spread over the length of the contracts), but does not include any profits from selling players. So for example if you sell players for £40m and buy replacements for £40m, your operating profit is £10m less than it would have been if you hadn't bought or sold anyone.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

nickjhs

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Has TB had any loan repayments? Plus once we have the academy players come through we will be in a position.to pay down some debt. In the broader sense when a half decent player is costing 20m our losses seem fairly small and quite recoverable.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Wan-Bissaka will more than cover that. How many players have we sold for £10ms?

I believe I'm right in thinking that tthe Wan Bissaka money was needed to cover the payment to Liverpool for Benteke. which was due in this financial year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But he is right

Thanks goodness we have a bloom character who will pump in millions to the club with perceived no requirement to pay it back.

Of course if other clubs do it like abramovitch etc they are all crooks and an abomination to our beautiful game, buying league titles etc.

Bottom line is that football has eaten itself and sold its soul to TV and overseas owners who care precious little for fans , but more their own egos and publicity.

Have a look at the figures for your 9 year old club with a League 2 ground before you come on here being all condescending.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I believe I'm right in thinking that tthe Wan Bissaka money was needed to cover the payment to Liverpool for Benteke. which was due in this financial year.

I can imagine the immense pride Palace are feeling at this remarkable change of behaviour being reflected in a new terrace song on the Holmesdale end

“We paid a debt, we paid a debt, we paid a … Palace paid a debt”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But he is right

Thanks goodness we have a bloom character who will pump in millions to the club with perceived no requirement to pay it back.

Of course if other clubs do it like abramovitch etc they are all crooks and an abomination to our beautiful game, buying league titles etc.

Bottom line is that football has eaten itself and sold its soul to TV and overseas owners who care precious little for fans , but more their own egos and publicity.

Of course he is but we knew it already. We didn’t need a Palace troll masquerading as a football financial authority to re-inforce what we already knew. He should bugger off and post on his own forum about their DIRE financial situation which should be a worry to any sane fan, not come on here and be a smart arse about our projected figures.

Am I being harsh here?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes...imagine how dull it would be on here if all there was swivel eyed loonies and blinkered blue and whites

We need other points of view from other fans to keep us real and from being up our own ********s!

I miss the likes of Kev Risby ( REMF Palace Boyz captain) and actually don’t find the trolling as you suggest, as annoying as a lot of precious people on there

We should be a broad church! Actually that would make a good name for a TV drama series!

Of course he is but we knew it already. We didn’t need a Palace troll masquerading as a football financial authority to re-inforce what we already knew. He should bugger off and post on his own forum about their DIRE financial situation which should be a worry to any sane fan, not come on here and be a smart arse about our projected figures.

Am I being harsh here?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ST up by 50% and food by 100%

Club shirts up 50% and club shop tat 200%

We have to recouperate this somehow.

Does this mean pies and bottled water up 50p?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Well, we might be. Connolly could end the season with a dozen goals which would make him in the £20million bracket. We could easily sell Ben White for £10million if we chose to flog him to the Championship. Ultimately, if we're in a position whereby we're losing £10-15million per season, that's one player sell. If we were worried about the loss, we'd have flogged Lewis Dunk or Shane Duffy this summer for north of £30million. There would have been takers had we wanted to sell and we're not short of marketable players in our squad.

Theoretically, he could. But he won't. If he did, I'd suggest he'd be worth far north of £20M.
Agree entirely with the rest.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a slightly odd graph in that the operating profit (at least in Burnley's case, and I think it's general) is after deducting the costs of buying players (spread over the length of the contracts), but does not include any profits from selling players. So for example if you sell players for £40m and buy replacements for £40m, your operating profit is £10m less than it would have been if you hadn't bought or sold anyone.

Agreed, there's a variety of profit variants you can use. This one removes all player transfer activity both buying and selling.

Premier League 2018 EBITDA.png

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That’s an excellent snippet of true to wind up the office Palace today. Thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure it's correct - one of El Pres's run through of their accounts talked of about £40m of debts to other clubs for previous transfers.

I suspect it's part of the reason they were rejecting recent offers for their players which involved staged payments

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Has TB had any loan repayments? Plus once we have the academy players come through we will be in a position.to pay down some debt. In the broader sense when a half decent player is costing 20m our losses seem fairly small and quite recoverable.

Don't chunks of the unsecured debt get converted into shares periodically? Which is basically writing them off as he owns such a large % of the shares already.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That’s an excellent snippet of true to wind up the office Palace today. Thanks for that.

whether it's true or not - it's a good one to wind them up with.

"Good to know that the Wan bissaka money is paying for all those Benteke goals. Now how are you going to pay for his 3 year contract extension?"

SAC

May 21, 2014
Losses are fine so long as the people (or person) who has to cover them if fine with them.

I'm not sure why so many need to bring other clubs finances into the discussion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here