Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good grief …. you know they won't extend it unless a request comes in from the UK yes ? You know it requires all 27 members to agree yes ? Not a surprising statement from someone that has suggested leavers support people dying though.

I can't do this. It's genuinely like talking to a plimsoll.

Thanks [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] for taking on the task.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
as it stands parliament voted to leave, and did not impose any condition. its not the place of the EU to tell us what we can do,otherwise they call into question the sovereignty of parliament. im not talking simply having a good reason, im talking about having a good legally sound reason their side, they do not have the power to simply extend article 50 unilaterally.

Surely any agreement is a two way thing? I suspect Article 50 (written by a Brit) is flexible enough for one side to extend.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
as it stands parliament voted to leave, and did not impose any condition. its not the place of the EU to tell us what we can do, otherwise they call into question the sovereignty of parliament. pretty dangerous territory you'd agree? im not talking simply having a good reason, im talking about having a good legally sound reason their side, they do not have the power to simply extend article 50 unilaterally.

Again, that isn't what is being suggested by Gordon Brown. Not even close.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't do this. It's genuinely like talking to a plimsoll.

Thanks [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] for taking on the task.

It's hardly my fault you don't understand the rules of Article 50. Maybe you could ask [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] to explain them to you.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing about the European union where did that morph out of ? Oh but we did keep sterling LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
Regards
DX

Your knowledge of the history of the EU is very limited. You offer opinions on things (CAP is an example) that you know little of.

Why don't you change your signature to 'LEAVE MEANS LEAVE' ? It would save you much time and resolve the DR question.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your knowledge of the history of the EU is very limited. You offer opinions on things (CAP is an example) that you know little of.

Why don't you change your signature to 'LEAVE MEANS LEAVE' ? It would save you much time and resolve the DR question.

He's been outwitted on the signature because it is autocorrected now. DX

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Boris Johnson wants to be popular. He is blaming the EU for everything at the moment, and getting plaudits for it. By removing the reason for that blame, it bounces straight back to him.

reckon this is how it would go:
EU: we can extend the deadline if you need time to sort things out.
Johnson: does that mean we have more time to re-negotiate the WA?
EU: no.
Johnson (to the gallery): the EU want to keep us in forever.
EU: merd.

upto Parliament to either force his hand really.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
OMG …. something we actually agree on !!!! *faints*

Twice in a morning too. I guess it proves that we can have whatever opinions we want but facts are sacrosanct.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

The WA is negotiable.

As soon as the alternative arrangements become apparent then there is no need for the backstop and this aspect can be removed.

At the moment we have 30 (20?) days to find and agree these alternative arrangements, which isn't much time, another 400 days would help.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely any agreement is a two way thing? I suspect Article 50 (written by a Brit) is flexible enough for one side to extend.

It's not. It requires both sides to agree. In the UK this would mean a Statutory Instrument having to be laid (as was the case both in March and June).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You, of all people, calling ANYBODY on NSC stupid is hilarious. Tell me more about this Muslim SS unit committing atrocities in France

It was actually Watford zero answers who called the remain minority stupid.Try not to inhale the smoke if you can't cut back a bit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

from the article:
"The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period."

i dont see where there's room for flexibility, unless both sides agree.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I reckon the EU gambit may be to offer a longer extension (to end of 2020) and also reopen negotiations on the WA. This would give Boris some wriggle room to say "we can still get a deal done" and also some rope to row back his 31st October line. It may anger a few of the hardliners but if the rest of Parliament "forces his hand" then it could give him the excuse he needs to ignore them. Ultimately a No Deal on 31st is more likely to see him kicked out of office than an extension to the end of 2020 for a reopened WA, and that is literally all he really cares about. He's not pro-Brexit anywhere near as much as he's pro-Boris.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To this day I cannot fathom why we didn't work out the details first and then trigger A50.

Has anyone got an 'Explain it like I'm five' answer on that?

The hardliners and press were whinging that it hadn't been triggered yet. The opposition didn't want to be tarred with the "going against the will of the people" line and were led by someone who wanted Brexit to happen and so also voted for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here