Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course there may be a plan. This might enable Johnson to bring back the WA to parliament at around the 20th October and say "vote for this or it's no deal going through".

How can he ask Parliament when he has suspended it? It's the work of a dictator, not a democracy.
If he does ask Parliament to return on those terms, then it is blackmail.

If Brexit is good enough then it should stand on its own merit, without coercion.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How can he ask Parliament when he has suspended it? It's the work of a dictator, not a democracy.
If he does ask Parliament to return on those terms, then it is blackmail.

If Brexit is good enough then it should stand on its own merit, without coercion.

The reports are that Parliament will be suspended until the 14th October. Therefore it would be perfectly possible to hold another vote on the WA after that date.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If your idea is so brilliant you don't generally need to take extreme actions to prevent people from stopping it happening.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very Early in the day for fruit cake.

Not sure it went well before, although Charles did get 11 years personal rule.

Then his head was cut off. 1649. Boy would I love to see Boris' head cut off (metaphorically of course) at eleven minutes to five today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What will Jezza do now?

My monies on nothing

Correct. Now is the time when his leadership skills will be tested. Will he be a sort in-house of Lech Wałęsa and lead a parliamentary uprising, or will he continue to be a Wilkins Micawber, vainly hoping that something will turn up?

He's going to do nothing except call for an election, is he? This will have as much reach as his call for world peace, equality, fairness etc. He's a cracking caller that man. :facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So IF the Queen Agrees to suspend Parliament, is she then agreeing to parliamentary democracy being overruled? Is she taking back power to the monarchy? The UK is is in a constitutional crisis right now, caused by stupid people calling a referendum, stupid people voting to leave the EU, and more stupid people trying to run roughshod over a system that has governed the UK pretty well for nearly four hundred years. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The reports are that Parliament will be suspended until the 14th October. Therefore it would be perfectly possible to hold another vote on the WA after that date.

Maybe the Queen would refuse to do it, or might be advised to refuse to do it. Constitutional crisis time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe the Queen would refuse to do it, or might be advised to refuse to do it. Constitutional crisis time.

I doubt that very much. By going against what her PM is asking she's getting herself involved ….. something QE II has ensured she has never done during her whole time on the throne.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am not really qualified to partake in this discussion as I have not read all 94557 posts :)

BUT one thing is clear to me is that the result of the referendum was to leave.
Parliament voted in favour of article 50.
Yet parliament, led by a biased speaker, wants to remain or at the very least leave in name only.

Yeah well Leave means Leave doesn’t it. Leaving in name only, according to many on here, is what the people voted for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I doubt that very much. By going against what her PM is asking she's getting herself involved ….. something QE II has ensured she has never done during her whole time on the throne.

The above.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I am not really qualified to partake in this discussion as I have not read all 94557 posts :)

BUT one thing is clear to me is that the result of the referendum was to leave.
Parliament voted in favour of article 50.
Yet parliament, led by a biased speaker, wants to remain or at the very least leave in name only.

The best reading of the result was to leave, but only just to leave. Therefore what you dismiss as "leave in name only" is actually the best reading of the result you will see.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nobody will be taking to the streets I'm afraid, after three years people are utterly sick of the whole business. It now looks like we'll be out on 31st October either with a deal or not.

I also think that if there is any serious negotiating going on then the governments hand has been strengthened after the events of this morning.

You want a bet?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The best reading of the result was to leave, but only just to leave. Therefore what you dismiss as "leave in name only" is actually the best reading of the result you will see.

I've been saying this all along - the best interpretation of the vote was for a very soft Brexit, and arguably even leavers can see that that'd be worse than remaining - hence I don't believe there's a real mandate to leave.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I've been saying this all along - the best interpretation of the vote was for a very soft Brexit, and arguably even leavers can see that that'd be worse than remaining - hence I don't believe there's a real mandate to leave.

Check the latest opinion polls.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Flex Your Head

Nothing says "democracy" like your unelected head of state closing your parliament down at the behest of an unelected Prime Minister.

Is this what you mean by 'taking back control'? I thought Parliament is sovereign?

Are you genuinely happy and comfortable about this seizure and snuffing out of democratic process? Direct question to you all below - would love to hear whether you're 'Brextreemists' or not.
[MENTION=28109]Wellesley[/MENTION] [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here