Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember Gower fielding in the covers. You instinctively looked for the Aussie/ Windies power stroke to hit the boundary rope, then a micro second later spotting that Randall or Gower had caught or stopped the ball.

And unearthed their stumps!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It was a great game and series, the WIndies supporters turning up with their oil drums and having a party. They absolutely battered us with a barrage of short fast on stump bowling, all unplayable. They never bothered with spinners and that went on for years. But then they had batters like Greenidge and Fredericks plus Lloyd and a bit later on Richards and Haynes. Greatest side I ever saw.

I was at The Oval for Whispering Death's performance. Today's match though was right up there at the very top.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was at The Oval for Whispering Death's performance. Today's match though was right up there at the very top.

Who was Whispering Death, my memories were on the last day, could have been third or fourth day, definitely didn't go five, we got absolutely battered, and then Greenidge and Fredericks came in and finished it off for the loss of no wickets? Was it like that? I'm sure it was.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Randall and a very young David Gower I believe played together in the covers for England, fantastic fielders for the time. Barclay, the Sussex lad was also brilliant in the covers. I also wanted to field in the covers to be 'David Gower'.

Think it was Paul Parker in the covers for Sussex. Barclay was a slip fielder.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Who was Whispering Death, my memories were on the last day, could have been third or fourth day, definitely didn't go five, we got absolutely battered, and then Greenidge and Fredericks came in and finished it off for the loss of no wickets? Was it like that? I'm sure it was.

Whispering Death was Holding.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Miserable old f***er... live for the moment for once in your life.

I am but people getting carried away. If we win The Ashes it will be eternally remembered as Stokes turning it around if not it will be remembered that we won 1 test but lost the series.and all the downside and poor performances attached to that, Stokes efforts will be forgotten.. When mentioned there will always be the 'but we lost the series'.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Money. The cricket authorities sold out.

Annoying that the BBC have now fixed it so you can't listen to it in the car unless you've got digital radio, which many, many cars do not have (or unless you've got a very old one, with Long Wave).

I have a 2004 Subaru Legacy with lots and lots of hard miles on it. . . . .the Japanese must have had a cricket loving audio engineer. It has LW on the radio if you double pres MW. I refuse to buy a new car because everything still works perfectly, including TMS!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am but people getting carried away. If we win The Ashes it will be eternally remembered as Stokes turning it around if not it will be remembered that we won 1 test but lost the series.and all the downside and poor performances attached to that, Stokes efforts will be forgotten.. When mentioned there will always be the 'but we lost the series'.

What, like Bothams? Or Flintoffs?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I’d want Stokes not [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] in the trenches

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Spent £5 on extra mobile data to watch it. Worth every penny. Fantastic innings from Ben Stokes. Shows why this format is still the pinnacle of cricket.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I get the sentiment ... but anyone who watched that today will NEVER forget it.

It was a once in a career moment for Stokes and was amazing to watch.

Some people who seek for the negatives and moan might forget it if the series goes against us but anyone else will always remember watching that.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think Stokes has moved into the realm of Botham. Yes he is a fantastic cricketer but he is more than that. The opposition see him as iconic just as we did Botham.
Shane Warne had the same affect on the opposition.
Botham won so many series from shear personality as did Warne.
Don’t make him Captain. It didn’t work with Botham and Warne.
We have waited for a long time for the new Botham. Just enjoy him/

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Next time someone tells you cricket is boring you can either smile knowingly because you clearly know something they don't.
Or you could waste your breath trying to explain

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Brilliant as today was, Smith was not playing. If he was Australia would win this game easily.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here