Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Paint ......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Talking of paint I can't find a 5L pot of terracotta masonry paint anywhere, I have been to all the usual places but nothing doing.
Dulux Weathershield toasted terracotta is the ideal colour but nowhere had it.
So I popped into 2 decorating centres today and they both wanted £35 to mix up a 5L pot.
Seeing as I paid £30 for 10L of Sandtex magnolia I I declined the £35.
My quest continues.
Oh and I once used Laura Ashley duck egg on wooden panels (similar to F&B) in my hallway, it was amazing paint with beautiful coverage and cheaper than frigging terracotta masonry paint.

£35 for 5lts of a Dulux coloured masonry paint is a good price if it is Trade paint. Remember though the paint you buy from DIY stores is not as good.
Any Dulux decorator centre will sort you out or Johnstone’s if you are around Lancing. Don’t know if there is a Brighton one. Just
looked....Toasted Terracotta is a retail colour but if you have any left Dulux will zap it for you.

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Has [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] got a VFM paint brand? :D

Someone else who doesn't understand what VFM means. It doesn't mean cheap, it means not paying more for goods or a service than its quality or availability justify.

Some may consider Dulux VFM but F&B not.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Last time I decorated a room was about 5 years ago. She wanted dirrerent colours in it so chose a teal/duck egg weird green for one by dulux for one wall, a pale yellow for the opposite from valspar with white for the other two.

The paint already on there was horrible, almost glossy and the new white and dulux paint wouldn't stick to the wall at all, the rollers kept sliding etc and was just generally a bitch to cover, took 3 coats, the valspar paint however was excellent, covered everything in one coat perfectly.

Sounds like you had a silk paint already on there, probably vinyl silk, that stuff is awfull.

New paint won't adhere to it, as you say it will slide off. You need to sand off all the 'shininess' from the silk,( or preferably don't use silk in the first place ) so the surface now has a key for the new paint to adhere to.

Prep is everything.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sounds like you had a silk paint already on there, probably vinyl silk, that stuff is awfull.

New paint won't adhere to it, as you say it will slide off. You need to sand off all the 'shininess' from the silk,( or preferably don't use silk in the first place ) so the surface now has a key for the new paint to adhere to.

Prep is everything.

Soft hands Pickles soft hands.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Talking of paint I can't find a 5L pot of terracotta masonry paint anywhere, I have been to all the usual places but nothing doing.
Dulux Weathershield toasted terracotta is the ideal colour but nowhere had it.
So I popped into 2 decorating centres today and they both wanted £35 to mix up a 5L pot.
Seeing as I paid £30 for 10L of Sandtex magnolia I I declined the £35.
My quest continues.
Oh and I once used Laura Ashley duck egg on wooden panels (similar to F&B) in my hallway, it was amazing paint with beautiful coverage and cheaper than frigging terracotta masonry paint.

From a quick Google, it looks like that product is end of line, so you'll struggle to find it anywhere. Is it really worth the hassle to troll around rather than pay the extra £10-15 for a make-up?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Time to decorate the sitting room and I was persuaded by Mrs W to use Farrow and Ball paint based on a work mates recommendation. Now as an ex-property developer I've painted a few rooms in my time using cheap paint but WTF ..... how can something that costs twice the price of say Dulux or Crown be so shite. I've seen thicker water !!!!! Really - avoid !!!!

*rant over as Westdene departs to put yet ANOTHER coat of gold plated paint on the walls*

I'm sure that [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] or [MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION] , as NSC's second and third richest posters, would use real gold to paint their walls.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It's all about chalk content, and F&B is very high. If it's like piss you've got a dud tin, or as mentioned - you've not stirred it properly!

F&B, yes - you're paying for the name. If you want an F&B colour, take a cut-out chip from the brochure card (or buy an F&B tester and paint some white board with it) then take it to Brewers and get them to colour match this 'unknown colour you just love' with their own Trade Matt Emulsion (which is excellent).

It's against their rules to directly match F&B to their own emulsion, but if you play the game and they're blameless - it's all good, and you can save a fortune :)

Faux F&B is not as good as the original. Paint is cheap - we spent tens of thousands on a knock-through/extension a couple of years ago and finished it off with F&B estate emulsion Wivet at a cost of £150. It looked very nice so when we had to paint a property we don't live in we chose the same colour. Being mean, we got a colour match done. £65 compared to about £90 for the original. In fairness, it was all right but when we used some against the original F&B in our own house it was cheap-looking with none of the original's depth and chalkiness. And the colour (a pale grey) wasn't on the money either.

It depends what you want - if you're happy with something that looks 70 per cent as nice as the original and costs 60% of the price, plus the benefits of being able to say you've 'beaten the system', then go for it. Otherwise, as ever in house restoration work, use the best material you can afford.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The local paint factory to me has a high end and super-premium brand that are both sold in the UK - Colortrend and Curator. Never had any concerns about quality or consistency and its cheaper than F&B by some margin.

Their own on-site shop still sells F&B for people who insist on it! They'll also try to convince you not to buy their own high end products for unsuitable tasks and point you towards their cheaper or trade ranges.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
£35 for 5lts of a Dulux coloured masonry paint is a good price if it is Trade paint. Remember though the paint you buy from DIY stores is not as good.
Any Dulux decorator centre will sort you out or Johnstone’s if you are around Lancing. Don’t know if there is a Brighton one. Just
looked....Toasted Terracotta is a retail colour but if you have any left Dulux will zap it for you.

5L mixed up at a Dulux centre today after advice on here.£35.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Our conservatory roof was replaced with a proper roof following a heavy downpour a small area showed a damp patch,when dried out used the Homebase off white emulsion which turned grey,tested it out in the garage and no problem,noting a test F & B off white gave it a try which was very satisfactory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here