Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Close this thread ffs, this was years ago... Move on

Just needs a retraction from the OP.

Until then, it'll remain open season and will continue to be the gift that goes on giving.

(Barnes is only 29, so, injury-permitting, we'll have another 6 years of the thread if he's anything like Murray...)

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I admit to not being Barnes biggest fan but he's now better at being Murray than Murray. So bloody competitive. No wonder we walked league one with three premier quality strikers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Goals scored in the Premier League since 01/03/2019

Ashley Barnes - 3
Brighton & Hove Albion - 3

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I admit to not being Barnes biggest fan but he's now better at being Murray than Murray. So bloody competitive. No wonder we walked league one with three premier quality strikers.

2010/11 was lovely wasn’t it. :)

But painful by the week for the couple of :dunce:’s on this thread, as Barnes’s regular goals singlehandedly destroyed a ludicrous construct.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Premier League goalscorers

19 - Aguero (112 mins/goal), Salah (158 mins/goal), Aubameyang (130 mins/goal)

18 - Mane (156 mins/goal),

17 - Sterling (142 mins/goal), Kane (143 mins/goal)

16 - Hazard (170 mins/goal), Vardy (154 mins/goal)

13 - Pogba (204 mins/goal), Lacazette (173 mins/goal), Sigurdsson (220 mins/goal), Richarlison (195 mins/goal)

12 - Wilson (189 mins/goal), Raul (189 mins/goal), Son (152 mins/goal), Firmino (218 mins/goal), Milivojevic (263 mins/goal), Lukaku (169 mins/goal)

11 - King (245 mins/goal), Mitrovic (274 mins/goal), Barnes (194 mins/goal), Murray (205 mins/goal)

10 - Martial (201 mins/goal), Rashford (157 mins/goal), Wood (236 mins/goal)

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

and yet all 3 were written off at different stages whilst playing for us.

Chris Wood was the one that baffled me the most. He was only a teenager when he was playing for us but looked very much like a fully built man who played with the confidence of a veteran bullying defenders with ease, but still, the majority of the Withdean faithful wrote him off. I found that really strange seeing that he was clearly too good for league one and yet he was so young and inexperienced.

How anyone couldn't see his potential lost me.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Chris Wood was the one that baffled me the most. He was only a teenager when he was playing for us but looked very much like a fully built man who played with the confidence of a veteran bullying defenders with ease, but still, the majority of the Withdean faithful wrote him off. I found that really strange seeing that he was clearly too good for league one and yet he was so young and inexperienced.

Fans don't really decide the fate of players though do they.

We can believe a few boos will pressure a manager into believing there's no talent there or we can get back to reality.

The reason Barnes, Wood (who wasn't even our player) and Murray moved on was absolutely nothing to do with fans not rating them at the time or a few bellends boo'ing.

Without exception, all albion fans I know personally were gutted at the loss of Murray and weren't convinced with the acquisition of CMS, and equally rated Barnes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

At Withdean, Wood didn’t really use that height and strength against bullying CB’s, he could be weak and lacked the tenacity of Barnes.

But as you say looking back, many of us including me, wrote him off at far too young an age.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

We can believe a few boos will pressure a manager into believing there's no talent there or we can get back to reality.

The reason Barnes, Wood (who wasn't even our player) and Murray moved on was absolutely nothing to do with fans not rating them at the time or a few bellends boo'ing.

Without exception, all albion fans I know personally were gutted at the loss of Murray and weren't convinced with the acquisition of CMS, and equally rated Barnes.

Chris Wood has openly talked about how he didn't enjoy his time playing for us. I remember Charlie Oatway calling him shit on the microphone during the Trophy parade at the Madiera terrace, I also remember the crowd all chuckling.

You'd have to have been deaf not to notice the negativity directed towards Wood at the Withdean from our fans. Wood certainly would've heard it and being just a kid at the time, it probably damaged him in terms of his mental side of the game.

I doubt he'll ever want to return. Totally understand why he went bananas when he scored those 2 (i think) wonder goals against us for Millwall. That shut our super fans up.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

All history of course, but I’m pleased to hear that. It’s exactly how I felt at the time, I even said to Muzza at the Withdean fans day Easter 2011 that I hope you stay. I loved everything about his game, Berbatov-esque but with a better work rate, a natural footballer and finisher.

I always liked Barnes, a decent forward, high work rate and tenacity in bucketloads.

I was unimpressed with CMS in his games for Pboro against us and from the early games at the Amex, my perception was that he was an honest trier, but lacked the touch to ever be a success for us.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Keep the thread open please.

A reminder that some Albion fans witch-hunt in error.
This.

It's a reminder to fans that if you think one of our players isn't up to it, or can lose control on the pitch every now and then, that you just may have misjudged them when you demand they never play for us again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It can.

You'd hope that the crowd won't influence the managers decisions, but the players themselves are more likely to want to stay at a club where they're appreciated, than where they're booed.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

So you think the way that some vocal anti-Barnes fans behaved towards him wouldn't have any influence on him or is fate with our club?

He was about to walk away from us on a free because he was refusing to sign a new contract with us exactly because of that fan behaviour towards him.

It's the reason we sold him as we knew there was nothing we could do to change his mind as he entered the last few months of his contract and we had the chance to get some money for him rather than let him go for nothing.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Chris Wood has openly talked about how he didn't enjoy his time playing for us. I remember Charlie Oatway calling him shit on the microphone during the Trophy parade at the Madiera terrace, I also remember the crowd all chuckling.

You'd have to have been deaf not to notice the negativity directed towards Wood at the Withdean from our fans. Wood certainly would've heard it and being just a kid at the time, it probably damaged him in terms of his mental side of the game.

I doubt he'll ever want to return. Totally understand why he went bananas when he scored those 2 (i think) wonder goals against us for Millwall. That shut our super fans up.

I always found the criticism of Wood really strange. He used to get a really tough time on here too, I always rated him and would be a lone voice on here at times praising him. I never quite got why he was so disliked and still don’t now. He was raw but so young and clearly really talented. He added a lot to us that season.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I always found the criticism of Wood really strange. He used to get a really tough time on here too, I always rated him and would be a lone voice on here at times praising him. I never quite got why he was so disliked and still don’t now. He was raw but so young and clearly really talented. He added a lot to us that season.

Same here, he was very young when here yet some expect the player to be at his peak (just like James Wilson when he was on loan from Man U)

Makes you wonder about our attempting to bring youth players through and how they'd be viewed by the same sort of fan as the ones critical of Wood

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here