Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris hughton news conference

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not enormously, and certainly no more than us in their first two seasons.
It's not just their transfer spend, it's also wages etc. And they finished 17th in their second season - maybe we're copying them?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
not only do you need money to pay off the manager and all his staff, the new fella always wants different players...... I can see why it makes sense for TB not to go down that route, its expensive.

Just using comparisons on clubs around our size.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's not just their transfer spend, it's also wages etc. And they finished 17th in their second season - maybe we're copying them?

I did mean overall spend, not just transfers. Well, we can hope that we'll get out of this dire situation and follow them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The difference is they don't suffer from the same inferiority complex.

I think that is the thing that most irritates me about a lot of the comments around us this season. There was a reason to play defensively against Wolves, we've been conceding goals like it's going out of fashion, morale is so low a single goal conceded leads to the confidence going. That's fine, I can accept that. What I didn't like were the "we can go at them, they'll tear us apart! They are too good! They beat Man Utd!" comments. This idea that a team that was promoted to the premier league last season, a team that Huddersfield did the double over, a team that lost to Cardiff were far too good for us. We already write off games against the big six. We're doing it further down the table. Everton are practically the seventh in a 'big seven'. They're always there. Watford, Leicester West Ham and Southampton are established premier league sides, with years of experience. We can't expect to challenge them. Newcastle have a fantastic manager who will always get them over performing, but they already had a premier league squad when they came up and have improved. Palace, on paper their team is much better than ours, they've gotten over their early season wobble and we shouldn't expect anything. Burnley and Bournemouth both have long-term managers, and are a couple of years down the line from us having got here before we did. Huddersfield and Fulham have seen a lot of investment, we have a tiny budget and can't take any game for granted.

It's almost like we didn't dominate the championship to win promotion three games early, before even Newcastle (the team expected to walk the division) did, and we didn't have a top two budget. Like we haven't beaten Man U at home twice, Arsenal once, drawn against them and Tottenham at home. Like our players are incapable of chasing back when an attack breaks down like every other team does. As if being vulnerable on the counter attack if your forward play breaks down is a unique problem we face because we're little ol' Brighton.

It feels like so many people are desperate to explain why we don't even belong in the division rather than why we didn't achieve a result we could/should have.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did mean overall spend, not just transfers.
Spending has gone up each year in the PL, so I think you need to compare what we're spending now, with what others are spending. Our football is a disaster at the moment, but it's not like there are any teams spending less and doing better.
Well, we can hope that we'll get out of this dire situation and follow them.
Indeed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Spending has gone up each year in the PL, so I think you need to compare what we're spending now, with what others are spending. Our football is a disaster at the moment, but it's not like there are any teams spending less and doing better.

Yes mate but I did mean comparable, not just this year or last.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Utter unsubstantiated rubbish, in all the years I've been on NSC I can't remember you not talking out your arse.
Again, slagging someone off. That's all you do on here. Ever.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Mind blowing post. So it is the players faults for carrying out instructions? They stop playing when they think they're safe? Honestly, have you ever kicked a football in your life? The manager should have a game plan. He instructs the players what he wants of his side. We have all worked out, even those with no footballing brain whatsoever that he sends us out to play negative anti football. What part of that do you not understand? You want Hughton to have another season? Are you a masochist? I'm a bit gobsmacked to be honest.

I think the players have been at majour fault, yes. Because their performances haven’t been on par with that of the previous 18 months. Nowhere near. Pinning that all on Hughton is wrong. Is that mind boggling to you?

If we stay up or go down, changing him is a gamble and not one we should take today. Give him another summer and if it goes tits up then fine. But I think he should be here at the start of next season whatever happens.

Have I ever kicked a football in my life? :lolol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
So many on hear quote doing ok for our budget. Rubbish £120m spent and not one is automatic choice. Thats got nothing to do with low budget just poor recruiting. Is Bloom going to have faith in same people spending another £60m ? The way we stand now would have been better getting 3 outstanding players in at £40m each.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think that is the thing that most irritates me about a lot of the comments around us this season. There was a reason to play defensively against Wolves, we've been conceding goals like it's going out of fashion, morale is so low a single goal conceded leads to the confidence going. That's fine, I can accept that. What I didn't like were the "we can go at them, they'll tear us apart! They are too good! They beat Man Utd!" comments. This idea that a team that was promoted to the premier league last season, a team that Huddersfield did the double over, a team that lost to Cardiff were far too good for us. We already write off games against the big six. We're doing it further down the table. Everton are practically the seventh in a 'big seven'. They're always there. Watford, Leicester West Ham and Southampton are established premier league sides, with years of experience. We can't expect to challenge them. Newcastle have a fantastic manager who will always get them over performing, but they already had a premier league squad when they came up and have improved. Palace, on paper their team is much better than ours, they've gotten over their early season wobble and we shouldn't expect anything. Burnley and Bournemouth both have long-term managers, and are a couple of years down the line from us having got here before we did. Huddersfield and Fulham have seen a lot of investment, we have a tiny budget and can't take any game for granted.

It's almost like we didn't dominate the championship to win promotion three games early, before even Newcastle (the team expected to walk the division) did, and we didn't have a top two budget. Like we haven't beaten Man U at home twice, Arsenal once, drawn against them and Tottenham at home. Like our players are incapable of chasing back when an attack breaks down like every other team does. As if being vulnerable on the counter attack if your forward play breaks down is a unique problem we face because we're little ol' Brighton.

It feels like so many people are desperate to explain why we don't even belong in the division rather than why we didn't achieve a result we could/should have.

Top, top post!

It’s that acceptance of mediocrity and defeat that has frustrated me all season. The worst time was after we lost away to a poor Man Utd team and some on here, the club, Naylor, etc were pretty much celebrating that we had only lost by one goal.

I can see the same after that important point but frankly dire performance on Saturday, the clubs social media put out a post today saying “Heading to the capital tomorrow night on a high!” Err, why exactly? Got a date or something cos it sure as heck can’t be about the football we’re about to witness again though to be fair, watching Son Heung-Min play is quite enjoyable so maybe that’s it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So many on hear quote doing ok for our budget. Rubbish £120m spent and not one is automatic choice. Thats got nothing to do with low budget just poor recruiting. Is Bloom going to have faith in same people spending another £60m ? The way we stand now would have been better getting 3 outstanding players in at £40m each.

Who are these £40 million players you speak of that would like to join us, on our current wage structure. Well?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Your above quote doesn't really make to much sense, I don't think for one second, CH has changed anything based on comments on NSC.or from fans, he did it for his own reasons.

It also doesnt take into account, that great unknown of if a different manager in the same circumstances would have exactly the same results or different, whose to say we couldn't attack, score a few and still survive?

Stains, were in a similar place that we are today, earlier in the season, defensive, lost and in freefall and they made the change to Hassenhutl. With pretty much the same playing squad, the same group of players are now playing a more attacking brand of football, they're winning more games and more points and have dug themselves out of trouble, Nathan Redmond is transformed. If they had stuck with Hughes, would the result be exactly the same as it is now?

Nobody can know for sure, but I'd bet most credit Hassenhutl for the change in fortune. Of course there's no guarantees that Hughton wont refind his mojo and have a Damascus road event or that Hassenhutl may implode, but watching from the sidelines the precipitous collapse and lack of an answer is worrying, that's compounded by what the Norwich fans said and the appearance of history repeating, and what you can read from a Norwich player to.

Personally I'd love nothing more than to see a true gent like CH break out of this ultra conservatism, clean sheet first, goals second mentality and continue to manage our club, but it looks to me like he's lost his way, and he's shackled and held prisoner by his own mindset. When the questions keep increasing and the answers don't, it's time to shake hands and move on. I truly hope to be proved wrong.

I don’t think he does read NSC, and if it wasn’t implied it was accidental. I feel as he has tried to up the game a little in terms of attack it has made us more open.

I don’t think you can draw parallels with Southampton really, they’re an established team with a better squad than us.

I’m not saying a change won’t be necessary, I just see little value in doing it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Who are these £40 million players you speak of that would like to join us, on our current wage structure. Well?

Am not a scout but emphasising that with none of our new players looking great, maybe it would have been better to have gone for just 3 of better quality. I dont know what clubs have paid for foreign players but do know several have been picked up from championship that are now looking good in premier

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Am not a scout but emphasising that with none of our new players looking great, maybe it would have been better to have gone for just 3 of better quality. I dont know what clubs have paid for foreign players but do know several have been picked up from championship that are now looking good in premier

Just players of equal quality with premier league experience would do, at least we'd know if they could deal with the demands.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your above quote doesn't really make to much sense, I don't think for one second, CH has changed anything based on comments on NSC.or from fans, he did it for his own reasons.

It also doesnt take into account, that great unknown of if a different manager in the same circumstances would have exactly the same results or different, whose to say we couldn't attack, score a few and still survive?

Stains, were in a similar place that we are today, earlier in the season, defensive, lost and in freefall and they made the change to Hassenhutl. With pretty much the same playing squad, the same group of players are now playing a more attacking brand of football, they're winning more games and more points and have dug themselves out of trouble, Nathan Redmond is transformed. If they had stuck with Hughes, would the result be exactly the same as it is now?

Nobody can know for sure, but I'd bet most credit Hassenhutl for the change in fortune. Of course there's no guarantees that Hughton wont refind his mojo and have a Damascus road event or that Hassenhutl may implode, but watching from the sidelines the precipitous collapse and lack of an answer is worrying, that's compounded by what the Norwich fans said and the appearance of history repeating, and what you can read from a Norwich player to.

Personally I'd love nothing more than to see a true gent like CH break out of this ultra conservatism, clean sheet first, goals second mentality and continue to manage our club, but it looks to me like he's lost his way, and he's shackled and held prisoner by his own mindset. When the questions keep increasing and the answers don't, it's time to shake hands and move on. I truly hope to be proved wrong.
Yes, Hassenhutl certainly did improve Stains. But he was following Mark Hughes, ffs!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Top, top post!

It’s that acceptance of mediocrity and defeat that has frustrated me all season. The worst time was after we lost away to a poor Man Utd team and some on here, the club, Naylor, etc were pretty much celebrating that we had only lost by one goal.

I can see the same after that important point but frankly dire performance on Saturday, the clubs social media put out a post today saying “Heading to the capital tomorrow night on a high!” Err, why exactly? Got a date or something cos it sure as heck can’t be about the football we’re about to witness again though to be fair, watching Son Heung-Min play is quite enjoyable so maybe that’s it.

Yeah, I saw that. Cringworthy from the club. On a high!? Easily pleased or what... Especially when you know we'll be very lucky to witness a meaninful shot on goal tomorrow let alone an actual goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here