Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris hughton news conference

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think the consensus from even those highly critical of our recent terrible form/player/manager/performances/tactics concluded we put up a fight on Saturday and the tactics, given the need to put a stop to the rot, ultimately worked.

I'm in the out camp and was impressed by Saturday and hope it will allow us to stumble over the line. Credit where credit's due. Still 'out' though :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm in the out camp and was impressed by Saturday and hope it will allow us to stumble over the line. Credit where credit's due. Still 'out' though :)

Did you watch the whole 93 minutes? It was very painful.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And with regards to your parenting analogy, nonsense, where talking about 2 international footballers, not toddlers.
I disagree. Kayal is capable of shouting at Jose if he wants, and it's up to Jose to react if he was at fault, it doesn't require the manager to just copy what Kayal says. If Jose was at fault, and didn't react, then the manager might join in with complaining 5 minutes later, or take him off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We will stay up, I have no doubt about that, but we need changes.
Christ, you're more optimistic than me.

We probably won't get to 37 points, so if Cardiff can beat Fulham, and Palace don't turn up, they should finish above us. Beating Fulham is no easy task, so we're favourites to stay up, but there's still plenty of doubt.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think Keown’s comments were a reflection of us stopping trying to play football - we just defend and hopefully latch onto a clearance in order to try and create something the other end. As we can’t keep hold of the ball it just means defending attack after attack.
Whilst the point at Wolverhampton was worth 2 to us, we were only a post away from losing, and that’s thankfully the rub of the green.
Need some midfielders and attackers with a bit of guile, quick feet and good hold up play. On their day we still have players capable of this and I hope they find their mojos for the remaining fixtures. I think we need at least 3 points and I don’t see these coming as draws. We need to either beat Newcastle or, failing that, get to grips with Man Utd who seem to be vulnerable again.
Unfortunately it's City we've still to play, not United

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Did you watch the whole 93 minutes? It was very painful.

Yes and it was uber painful. But I didn't expect anything else and I was impressed that they stuck to it and were successful. Wolves are no slouches, there was the odd moment, but we looked reasonabley comfortable. It could have gone wrong but it didn't

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Delighted with a point at Wolves .Of course defended better but truth is we were lucky. Playing that game again with no attacking intent we would lose it 9/10

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes and it was uber painful. But I didn't expect anything else and I was impressed that they stuck to it and were successful. Wolves are no slouches, there was the odd moment, but we looked reasonabley comfortable.
Did we? I didn't watch it (doctor's orders), but seeing the highlights and looking at the stats gave the impression it wasn't comfortable.

Delighted with a point at Wolves .Of course defended better but truth is we were lucky. Playing that game again with no attacking intent we would lose it 9/10
That's the impression I have.

So many fans put too much emphasis on the result when judging a performance. Most times we play that game against Wolves, we lose. Most times we play the games against Southampton and Cardiff, we get a point or more. Mendez won't score many like that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The players care, but are being told to do the same things over and over even though they can see it isn't working.

And with regards to your parenting analogy, nonsense, where talking about 2 international footballers, not toddlers.

Anthony Knockeart is a toddler.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

It has come to something when we're happy with a point at Wolves. First time we've failed to beat them in eight games in the top division, home or away.

Seriously, I think it's all down to what Cardiff do now. I have to believe (as CH would say) that we will beat Newcastle and get to 37 points. But Fulham, Palace and Manchester United are so unpredictable that Colin's men could get the 7 they would need then, or the five they'd require if we only draw with the Geordies.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Did we? I didn't watch it (doctor's orders), but seeing the highlights and looking at the stats gave the impression it wasn't comfortable.

So many fans put too much emphasis on the result when judging a performance. Most times we play that game against Wolves, we lose. Most times we play the games against Southampton and Cardiff, we get a point or more. Mendez won't score many like that.

Well I went and thought Wolves were disappointing.

Yes we defended well in terms of being hard to break down, but I certainly wouldn’t say lucky, unless you consider Duffy slipping and them hitting the post ‘lucky’......

They actually created very little during the game and whilst Ryan produced one great save, following the above, other than that he had little to do above routine catches.

So were they on top territorially? Most definitely

Were we comfortable - yes.

All FWIW of course [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It has come to something when we're happy with a point at Wolves. First time we've failed to beat them in eight games in the top division, home or away.

Seriously, I think it's all down to what Cardiff do now. I have to believe (as CH would say) that we will beat Newcastle and get to 37 points. But Fulham, Palace and Manchester United are so unpredictable that Colin's men could get the 7 they would need then, or the five they'd require if we only draw with the Geordies.

Perhaps Southampton will lose their last 4 !

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Christ, you're more optimistic than me.

We probably won't get to 37 points, so if Cardiff can beat Fulham, and Palace don't turn up, they should finish above us. Beating Fulham is no easy task, so we're favourites to stay up, but there's still plenty of doubt.

I get where your coming from..... mathematically it is in our own hands, but realistically it's not really.

It will depend very much on what Cardiff do or don't do. If they win 3 we will be down, 2 and a draw, also likely.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I don’t know about Chris, but tomorrow night I’ll certainly be looking for us to stop Tottenham getting into good areas, what with the quality they have got.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t know about Chris, but tomorrow night I’ll certainly be looking for us to stop Tottenham getting into good areas, what with the quality they have got.

Best we can hope for with a team at our level :wink:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Watching Pompey v Coventry with the skates 1-0 down reminds me of that New Years Eve at the Ricoh where we lost 2-0 to a relegated team. Our train was stopped at Northampton, horrible day. So, yes, we have had worse days than now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I don't think we could realistically expect any different, away to the CL semi finalists, in their new home, going for top 4 and we haven't scored in weeks. Football does throw up the odd curve ball but realistically it's a home win.

So I'm quite happy if we do the anti football bus parking number tbh, need to keep a healthy GD to Cardiff and if somehow Hughton can bag a point, it would exceed any expectation.

Performances are no longer relevent for this season, it's only about points and GD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here