Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Strategies

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Building on this a little - it’s not just that the players have no experience of English football, but also that our coaching team only has experience of English football - and predominantly lower league English football at that.

I can’t help thinking there’s a mismatch between coaches and players - which is why Hughton always goes back to the Old Guard. Hard to think of a single player who has improved this year - which must be an indication of something going wrong with our recruitment/coaching setup.

That's an interesting point and certainly not one that had even crossed my mind.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Have I honestly just read on BBC that Leicester have signed 2 youngsters from HASTINGS UNITED??!!
WTAF? If either of these two go on to ‘make it’ then someone at Lancing needs ****ing shoeing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have I honestly just read on BBC that Leicester have signed 2 youngsters from HASTINGS UNITED??!!
WTAF? If either of these two go on to ‘make it’ then someone at Lancing needs ****ing shoeing.
Isn't Hastings nearer Leicester than Lancing?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A couple of English players would help our quota. If you consider our squad from the final 2 seasons of the championship we had plenty of players in our squad who could play in the premier league so there must be several of championship players with the ability to join us and improve us

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I guarantee that just about every poster and pundit and probably the manager would beg to differ. Unless of course you're being ironic. In which case you're not very good at it :moo:

No, it's a straight reply. They are the core first 9 names on the team sheet week in/week out, settled as you can get. Plus someone for Gross, currently Bissouma, plus a winger.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
It's not about signing from the Premier League.

Burnley's success has been bought from the Championship, or from teams relegated. Cork was £8m. Wood £14m. Taylor free. Hendrick £10m. Westwood £5m. I'm concentrating on them as that is the transfer page I have open.

I think we have missed out not getting a few good Championship players mixed in with our foreign signings. It doesn't need to break the bank. Might not seem as inspiring, but delivers results when you need sleeves rolling up.

David Brooks and Daniel James were both identified in the Championship by scouts last season & highly recommended for recruitment over the summer but whatever algorithm is used by the analysts at the club it rejected them. They would have cost less than £20m for the pair and Brooks would cost a lot more than that by himself today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven’t read the thread but I read the title as Transfer Tragedies whilst skim reading the thread titles which I thought was a slightly ott reaction to our new signings :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
David Brooks and Daniel James were both identified in the Championship by scouts last season & highly recommended for recruitment over the summer but whatever algorithm is used by the analysts at the club it rejected them. They would have cost less than £20m for the pair and Brooks would cost a lot more than that by himself today.

Had we got him, Brooks would now be worth £20.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Let's all jump in our time machines what just 4 months ago, to the evening this squad beat palace.

I don't recall anyone saying then the recruitment policy needed a shake up.

Obviously something is horrendously wrong.
Just like the ravens leaving the Tower a lack of input from Chailey would suggest the monarchy is crumbling.

But to suddenly point to cheap foreign labour coming over here taking our jobs is completely ignoring the manager, the failing 'reliable' mainstays, tactics, team selection.

It’s strange isn’t it the players must have shown something for us to recruit them for the PL but none of the recent additions seem to fit in or look comfortable in Hughtons system. Is there a disconnect between the recruitment team and management team, are the recruitment team buying duds or is the manager playing a system that simply will not work at this level. Let’s hope we can get the job done tomorrow and the club can resolve this in the summer as we are all desperate for the club to keep pushing on and establish ourselves at this level.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think this season at least we have lacked physicality. The CB's are still big strong fellas but we seem to struggle pretty much everywhere else on the pitch. We lack both pace and power. We cannot press and as such we drop deeper and deeper, that's not a problem if you can break with pace al la Leicester but we can't. Any of our fit options out wide are not quick. Montoya and Bernardo who IMO are decent players but they don't offer much in terms of speed or power and the midfield are all pretty samey, neat and tidy, but not offering any threat going forward, never getting beyond the striker and struggling to recover when it breaks down. The only exception to this is Bissouma which is why on a good day he stands out. His bad days however, he is naive, impulsive and well inexperienced. We need someone who makes a difference week in week out next season, and we need to wait for Bissouma to be that man which could be 2/3 years away from what I can see.

For me we need younger, quicker players in the wide areas. An experienced leader in midfield and another quick option up front. A big ask for the recruitment team but we will struggle to win games playing in this way without options when we counter and we don't have enough quality going forward to break teams down at home especially without Gross. A difficult summer awaits IMO

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s strange isn’t it the players must have shown something for us to recruit them for the PL but none of the recent additions seem to fit in or look comfortable in Hughtons system. Is there a disconnect between the recruitment team and management team, are the recruitment team buying duds or is the manager playing a system that simply will not work at this level. Let’s hope we can get the job done tomorrow and the club can resolve this in the summer as we are all desperate for the club to keep pushing on and establish ourselves at this level.

With the exception of Ali, I'd suggest every new signing has (albeit through various levels of fleatingness) shown ability far beyond their transfer fee.

I have no idea why those 'moments' have been so few and far between.
Like everyone else I have my theories, but I know full well any replies to the above, will once again put me at odds with many others on here, which obviously is cool. .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With the exception of Ali, I'd suggest every new signing has (albeit through various levels of fleatingness) shown ability far beyond their transfer fee.

Now that is a statement. I'd love to know when Jurgen showed you far above £17m of ability, because I must have blinked! :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now that is a statement. I'd love to know when Jurgen showed you far above £17m of ability, because I must have blinked! :lolol:

He's had his moments, but that's my point they are just moments.

I seem to remember a Montoya thread along the lines of 'The King is Dead...'.

Balagon came on and owned Utd, then palace, only to then watch WBA score.

Did anyone predict Andone's season after that palace game?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's had his moments, but that's my point they are just moments.

I seem to remember a Montoya thread along the lines of 'The King is Dead...'.

Balagon came on and owned Utd, then palace, only to then watch WBA score.

Did anyone predict Andone's season after that palace game?

You're not discussing with NSC and any old thread started, you're discussing this point through NSC with me, specifically. Someone starting a Montoya thread 6 months ago is irrelevant.

My point was you said each signing had shown ability far beyond their transfer fee.

I am really struggling with any of them showing far beyond their fee, in fact some of them not getting anywhere near showing even glimpses they were worth their fee. Andone I grant you looks a great buy at £5m or so. If we go back to Gross and compare him to recent signings, he was a steal at £15m let alone the £3m we paid.

Perhaps some of them will show a glimpse tonight. :smile:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Players from the Championship can clearly make the step up, look at Madison and Brooks, both have had excellent seasons.
The main failing however regarding recruitment is to not have competition for Groß we didn't have competition for him last season.
To then go into this season with the same scenario is just careless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here