Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Is that the one about WWI? I had to stop listening to that (I listen as I fall asleep) as it was way too graphic. But agree generally about HH - great podcast: Rome one was fantastic.

Yes. I know what you mean about the graphicness of it, and can well understand wanting to stop.

I'll do Rome next, thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No Such Thing As A Fish wins a shit prize

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/04/04/42693/no_such_thing_as_a_fish_wins_a_shit_prize

The No Such Thing As A Fish podcast has scooped a major prize for promoting science – a glass of fresh alpaca shit.

Slightly more impressively, the team of QI researchers behind the informative comedy will also receive €20,000 (£17,000)

James Harkin, Andrew Hunter Murray, Anna Ptaszynski and Dan Schreiber will collect the Heinz Oberhummer Award for Science Communication in Vienna on November 25

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I like daft and sweary stuff, like Athletico Mince, Angelos & Barry and Jim Jefferies.

What else can I subscribe too please?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Please be aware. The next Undr the cosh podcast is featuring LEON KNIGHT!!. Not sure when it's available but I reckon it's a must listen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Best Podcast I have listened to so far was Stephen Fry's great leap years - incredibly interesting 6 parter.

I'm enjoying "Something rhymes with Purple" that has recently started airing. I admit that Gyles Brandreth's voice does grate occasionally but listening to Suzie Dent makes up for it.
Some good episodes to discover on "stuff you should know". - The story of Adidas had some excellent facts on it.

BBC Sounds has a load of "Witness History" Episodes that are well worth a listen - each episode is 9 minutes long.

I love factual stuff so if there are any I'm missing please let me know!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best Podcast I have listened to so far was Stephen Fry's great leap years - incredibly interesting 6 parter.

I'm enjoying "Something rhymes with Purple" that has recently started airing. I admit that Gyles Brandreth's voice does grate occasionally but listening to Suzie Dent makes up for it.
Some good episodes to discover on "stuff you should know". - The story of Adidas had some excellent facts on it.

BBC Sounds has a load of "Witness History" Episodes that are well worth a listen - each episode is 9 minutes long.

I love factual stuff so if there are any I'm missing please let me know!

Try The Futility Closet.

30 mins long 20 or so of which are taken up by a specific 'document' of an event, a little bit of faff with the listeners finishing with a lateral thinking puzzle.

A recent episode about the early days of marathon running was interesting, as was a fire on a boat in Boston.
One of the many that stick in the memory is the episode about the Doves typeface.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1127257056438816770[/tweet]

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It's Leon Knight day on 'undr the cosh'
Gotta be worth a listen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Elis James & Jon Robins first 5-live show is now available.

I'm yet to listen to the pod, but I did catch about half an hour of the show.
Amazingly it is just the Radio X show and seemingly I was the only listener to enjoy it. :lol:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've just finished Shreds, from the BBC. My comment needs to come in two parts:

a. I knew nothing about 'The Cardiff Five', or the murder of Lynette White. Or the jaw-dropping police corruption. The story is told through interviews and archive recordings, and I found it riveting. And awful.

b. The journalist who narrates this has the most perfect voice to match the tone of the subject matter; the sound design is subtle and superb. The whole construction of the podcast brings it as close to a video documentary as I've heard. If it might be up your street, I strongly recommend it.

I've also tried some 'true crime' stuff from the Wondery people... *cue earnest SoCal husky voice intoning seriously*: "Staci [of course it's with an 'i'] spent the morning with her friends at the local pilates studio, discussing their children's graduation plans, before they headed off for lunch together in her 2017 pearl-white Ford Rambler. She wasn't to know this would be her last morning alive."... but it makes me want to smash my computer up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's Leon Knight day on 'undr the cosh'
Gotta be worth a listen.

I'm listening to it now (its a 2-parter).

OK, nobody would be surprised to hear that Leon Knight is a weapons-grade 24 carat bellend, but bloody hell...what an absolute whopper. I'm pretty sure he's actually not quite all there. No wonder he was completely unmanageable (none of it EVER his fault though, obvs). Makes for an amusing listen, but you'll be left just shaking your head. Its no surprise everyone got shot of him, he must have been completely unbearable. A worse pro you could not wish to handle. He blames the KIT LADY for getting him chucked out at Swansea, ffs.

And yes, the story of McGhee and getting chucked off the coach is covered in detail (from his side of things anyway). Yes, its certainly worth a listen.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] Marvellous isn't it?
Give yourself a treat, listen to Mark Crossley's episode about Cloughie.
In fact, listen to all of them.
I fully expect Muzza to be featured once he retires, being a fully fledged northerner.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] Marvellous isn't it?
Give yourself a treat, listen to Mark Crossley's episode about Cloughie.
In fact, listen to all of them.
I fully expect Muzza to be featured once he retires, being a fully fledged northerner.

Its carcrash stuff. He is literally the worst "pro" I have ever listened to. Maybe he's just the most honest, but he was clearly a player who had no respect for anyone, would not be told what to do by anyone, and just ended up going from club to club chasing cheques and collecting payoffs. He comes across as a fairly rancid human being to be honest.

Great listen though.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Its carcrash stuff. He is literally the worst "pro" I have ever listened to. Maybe he's just the most honest, but he was clearly a player who had no respect for anyone, would not be told what to do by anyone, and just ended up going from club to club chasing cheques and collecting payoffs. He comes across as a fairly rancid human being to be honest.

Great listen though.

Saw this thread last night so thought I'd give it a go. Traffic was shocking this morning so managed to near enough rattle through both episodes on my way to work. Jesus christ......I knew he was a dick but not that much.

Never listened to the podcast before and I don't think I'll bother again. In fact I nearly switched it off after 5 minutes before Knight came on when they were talking about owning one pair of trainers and going to Benedorm. It's basically 3 professional northerners talking to a wannabe gangster who keeps doing that really annoying thing hodrats do when they suck their teeth. If you like car crash stuff then give it a go but the only thing it'll do is make your opinion of Knight go down.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I've also tried some 'true crime' stuff from the Wondery people... *cue earnest SoCal husky voice intoning seriously*: "Staci [of course it's with an 'i'] spent the morning with her friends at the local pilates studio, discussing their children's graduation plans, before they headed off for lunch together in her 2017 pearl-white Ford Rambler. She wasn't to know this would be her last morning alive."... but it makes me want to smash my computer up.

I know what you mean. The Onion did a really good spoof of that style with their "A Very Fatal Murder" podcast. Worth a listen.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Anyone else listening to The British History Podcast? (apologies for not scrolling back through 600 posts). I've just got up to the Romans leaving Britain, and about to enter the Dark Ages. Quite an undertaking by the fella doing it, he's 8 years into it now and the latest ones are still only up to the 11th century.

As when you listen to anything a lot, his US accent can grate (he's English by birth, but moved there when a small child) i do like the way he tells the stories of the people involved rather than just dryly listing dates/events etc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw this thread last night so thought I'd give it a go. Traffic was shocking this morning so managed to near enough rattle through both episodes on my way to work. Jesus christ......I knew he was a dick but not that much.

Never listened to the podcast before and I don't think I'll bother again. In fact I nearly switched it off after 5 minutes before Knight came on when they were talking about owning one pair of trainers and going to Benedorm. It's basically 3 professional northerners talking to a wannabe gangster who keeps doing that really annoying thing hodrats do when they suck their teeth. If you like car crash stuff then give it a go but the only thing it'll do is make your opinion of Knight go down.

Yeah its not a pod I subscribe to, and like you, I don't think I'll bother either for very much the same reason. The professional northerners on it are an utter borefest, and the "laddish humour" on it very quickly grates.

But those two Leon Knight episodes are well worth a listen, just purely for the "WTF ??" aspect of it. A very odd, volatile character with an ego the size of Nebraska, and a gob to match.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here