Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Care to share a link to this from, for instance, the police or a respected newspaper site?
If you can't, then plenty will draw the conclusion that you speak a load of drivel, and that this is just the latest instance of it. On this, if there was anything to what you've said, The Argus would have been all over it, and yet, there's nothing on their site about it.

I think his post was a bit of a wind up!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Care to share a link to this from, for instance, the police or a respected newspaper site?
If you can't, then plenty will draw the conclusion that you speak a load of drivel, and that this is just the latest instance of it. On this, if there was anything to what you've said, The Argus would have been all over it, and yet, there's nothing on their site about it.

The media will only show us what they want us to believe. They know if they show us whats really happening, then the 6th formers will come down hard on them, and I mean hard.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
good on them. Due to the laziness and ignorance of their parents and grandparents generations, these kids are going to grow up with no choice but to address environmental issues.

Much more important than learning say, basic French isn't it

What a shitty post and an insult to many.
Laziness and ignorance of their parents and grandparents generations?
A lot of the older generation are just as environmentally aware as most youngsters, but they are perhaps not quite so idealistic about life and don't feel the need to spout forth on the subject.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Assuming they are entirely representative of most of the younger generation and wider population... they do as little as possible. If this isn't the case feel free to tell me what specific sacrifices they make to save the planet.

Climate change already receives huge amounts of press coverage and governmental (domestic and international) attention but you already know this.

Yes it does receive coverage and attention but that's different to action.

Assume all you want. Whatever response I give, you're going to find something else to criticise or poke holes in.

If that isn't the case, feel free to say something positive rather than wading in cynicism.

Although it's almost like I predicted your responses so far "there will be a bunch of older people who will make snide judgemental comments, probably be dismissive and patronise them."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The electorate of the 2020's will be similar to that of now i.e. grown-ups and will vote accordingly...

That's not strictly true. Turn outs of age groups does differ between elections. 2017 saw the biggest turnout of 18-24 year olds in 25 years. If the next election shows another jump in the number of 18-24 year olds voting, it will be a completely different demographic at the ballot box than some previous elections.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hopefully they will pick up litter while they are there, and not buy coke, burgers, etc and anything wrapped in plastic. And of course walk there and back.

Ha ha, this in (kfc) buckets! The hypocrisy of people in general is truly nauseating, none of us are doing anywhere near enough and whilst they might feel good about, it’s all forgotten moments later as more important issues like Battle Royales take over as they’re collected in their Chelsea tractors and whisked away to Tuscany for HT. Call me a cynic, but I have no faith in humanity to prevent climate change by having less - including children. Better off throwing everything at technology to accommodate impacts eg giant space shields, colonising space, sea defences, GM food etc. These are infinitely ‘easier’ things to do than asking 7billion people to consume less, share more, protect what’s left etc.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes it does receive coverage and attention but that's different to action.

Assume all you want. Whatever response I give, you're going to find something else to criticise or poke holes in.

If that isn't the case, feel free to say something positive rather than wading in cynicism.

Yes, loads of coverage and governmental attention which has lead to action. Not enough for many people but action none the less.

I'll take that as a no they don't do anything out of the ordinary to save the planet. Which gets back to my original point ... a nice day off school and virtue signalling kudos but makes naff all difference to anything in reality.

I realise these threads are only meant to elicit one happy clappy response and any deviation from that view is blasphemy but fortunately, 'cynics' or those with a different view are still just about allowed to express alternative opinions in 21st century UK.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
because of course that's what kids do

Ffs

The kids don't directly do that no, but the parents who clog up entire streets dropping the same kids who are complaining about the planet, off in their 4x4's do.

I wonder how many of these kids families do 100% recycling and 100% upcycling, I will take a stab and say NONE of them.

Before they bang on about everyone else get their own house in order first.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The kids don't directly do that no, but the parents who clog up entire streets dropping the same kids who are complaining about the planet, off in their 4x4's do.

I wonder how many of these kids families do 100% recycling and 100% upcycling, I will take a stab and say NONE of them.

Before they bang on about everyone else get their own house in order first.

Mine either, but I think you get my point.

Everyone I know recycles, composts, and upcycles. We've all passed on kids clothes and toys through groups of friends, all given each other or bought 2nd hand furniture, and I know most have gone to doing things like eating a lot less meat, or gone vegetarian altogether, got loads of friends who have turned to cycling to get around town etc. loads do camping in the summer.

Go up to Hove Park School kicking out time, and there are very few parents picking their kids up, I went up there today, and didn't see a single kid getting picked up.

Where are you getting your info. from to make such sweeping general claims?

p.s. I don't know anyone with a 4x4 either. :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Brilliant turnout - highly impressive.

Those who scrape then 'these kids are just bunking off' or 'this should have been done on a Saturday' or 'Mummy and Daddy will collect them later in their gas-guzzling cars' barrel have absolutely no idea as to what they're on about. Taking a day off school is obviously directly comparable to the future well-being of the planet. :facepalm:

Maximum exposure, and hopefully maximum effect.

I assume you went ? And if so I assume you didn't book a day off work - you just didn't turn up ? I'm all for protest but not a SINGLE person on here has justified why this couldn't be held at the weekend ? Ahhhh ..... of course ..... not so many kids would have turned up !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here