Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Club ELO Rankings

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Seeing Palace above us made me turn to stone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always nice when things are going well to have a stat attack. If we can keep this run going our ELO rating could be one nice way to celebrate a little success.

For all things BHAFC see http://clubelo.com/Brighton
A long way to go before we can challenge the Mike Bailey inspired peak of 36th best team in Europe though
Wolves fans please look away now - can we play you every week!

The table below I had to fiddle around to produce. Please don't take this too seriously, unless of course we happen to move up a few places, at which point you can all swear by it.
View attachment 101686

We're behind Young Boys? ???

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We start the season ranked 86th in Europe. http://clubelo.com/Brighton

That is four places and points above Villa, but adrift of everyone else including Sheffield United and Norwich.
Palace sit at 29th

I hope to be able to bore you all stupid this season with continued bounces of this thread, as we start to put this right.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A 0-3 away victory, so us jump a massive 12 places up to 74th in the rankings and leapfrogging over the three promoted teams, although we are still adrift of Southampton and the rest. The associated points jump, has wiped out the big drop from that home humiliation against Ballmouth last season. Next stop to balance out the Cardiff defeat.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This club ELO is a hard task master. A home draw against the team currently ranked the 37th best in Europe see us drop to 76th place and below Naaridge. West Ham actually went up one place after their spawny draw. Palace look massively over rated at 32 in the rankings and I would expect some adjustments over the coming months.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Below Crystal Palace- don't bring me down. Some confusion there.

This is all out of the blue.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Has anyone made an Electric Light Orchestra joke yet or am I the first with this Mr Blue Sky thinking?

No, it was an earlier DISCOVERY just after the friendly with the BIRMINGHAM BLUES.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just a quick bounce on this thread. (Please read the thread before posting puns, it has almost certainly been done before).

The current ranking has us as 71st highest ranking club in Europe on 1651 points.
The highest achieved by CH was 64th highest ranking club in Europe on 1645 points.
Best ever under Mike Bailey ranking 36th 1701 points.

Newcastle are currently ranked 43rd on 1701
Everton are 34th on 1728

This time last season optimism was high and now one foresaw the slump to come, although from November onwards we really started to ride our luck. CH the gentleman he was, stated he was happy with his squad at the end of the January transfer window. I hope GP is less accommodating, a couple more signings wouldn't go amiss. It will be hard though, with the Championship so open, any Chairman letting players go, would be very much thinking short term.

Can we get close to the Mike Bailey record this season?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Oooh - we have bought LOADS of ELOs. We need to up our game to get into the league table though as we probably only have around 150.

elo_touch_e351997_2702l_27_lcd_touchscreen_1539000365_1435921.jpg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So here we go again with an update on my solo statto obsession with the ELO rankings.
Top 100 rankings for Europe
ELO_Rankings_05_11_2019.PNG
We have jumped up to 64th

Chris Houghton has a coach rating of 1631
Graham Potter has a coach rating of 1485, which reflects his relative lack of top level managerial experience

After the woe of the where are our next points coming from, you can make the stats tell whatever story you want.

Eddie Howe sits just above Colin as our worst coaching opponent. No fear for the other three in the rankings Arthur Cox, Howard Wilkinson and Sir Alf Ramsey
Our head to head record against Wolves though is astonishing, given the relative size of the clubs. 30 games 49 goals for and 25 against.

ELO predicts 41.4 points and a 16th place finish, with Norwich, Watford and Southampton all relegated.
I would love to be able to bounce this thread after a fantastic away victory next weekend. ELO gives us a 14% chance of victory.

My optimism bias, suggests we could do better than both stats.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Right. Can you give us some idea of how this is calculated? I'm just intrigued to know how three years of Premier league bouncing around lower midtable gets us to the point 64th, but Sheffield United can turn up out of the blue, get a single point more than us over 11 games and sit pretty in 59th.

Oh, and why are we higher than Celtic, who win games in Europe most years

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Right. Can you give us some idea of how this is calculated? I'm just intrigued to know how three years of Premier league bouncing around lower midtable gets us to the point 64th, but Sheffield United can turn up out of the blue, get a single point more than us over 11 games and sit pretty in 59th.

Oh, and why are we higher than Celtic, who win games in Europe most years

It is based upon relative performance. Beat a team much higher in the rankings and you gain a lot of points, lose to a lower team, or lose badly to a team near your level and you start to slide.

Sheff Utd are above us, based on a long winning streak in the Championship. They beat Everton earlier in the season, when Everton were on a relative high and gained 18 points. When we beat them they were dropping and we only gained 9 points. That run of really poor results last season, really hurt us, plus losing to Southampton and Villa was not helpful. Palace are currently way above us due to a few spawny results against the top ranking teams.

Celtic play in Europe - badly and some of the teams in the Scottish Premier are very lowly ranked. Some of the teams above us, are the team who beat the team. PSV, Youngs Boys, Slavia Praha. You wouldn't be in awe of us playing any of these.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Another chance to delve into my solo obsession with the ELO rankings.

http://clubelo.com/ENG
http://clubelo.com/Brighton

We currently sit 63rd in Europe on 1649 points in the ranking
Our internal targets are;

1 Can we best our highest ever ranking?
Best ever under Mike Bailey ranking 36th 1701 points.
2 GP is sitting just above CHs highest ranking can he stay there?
The highest achieved by CH was 64th highest ranking club in Europe on 1645 points.

External Targets
1 Overtake THEM
Croydon FC currently ranked 53 on 1669
2 Improve our League ranking
Sheff Utd ranked 47 on 1689 looks a good stretch target
3 Continue to look down on Dirty Leeds
Ranked 79th on 1620

What looks achievable this season?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A draw with Liverpool has taken us to 1682 and within 19 points of our highest ever ranking score.

http://clubelo.com/Brighton - currently ranked 52nd best side in Europe. To best our ranking peak of 36th, we will need to overtake Palace, Villa, Burnley and Newcastle and get close to Everton.

Palace ranked 50th on 1689
Still above Sheff Utd and Dirty Leeds, also Fulham and WBA.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here