Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Americans Don't Know Why They Celebrate 4th of July!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
One of my favourites, was a septic insisting that The Beatles were in fact Americans, out of New Jersey apparently. It took about three weeks to convince him he was wrong,pre internet, obviously

Did you send google a letter?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is how a lot of Americans spent celebrating the 4th.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 146

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Go around asking Brits to explain November 5th and I suspect you would get a similar response.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I read recently that most delegates to the Second Continental Congress, which was the body that declared independence from King George, didn't sign the document, The Declaration of Independence from Great Britain, until August 2, 1776. The body had declared independence and then went home. The reason was that July was incredibly hot in Philadelphia and most of the delegates wanted to be home cooling off during that month. They actually returned to Philadelphia when the weather finally broke and turned cooler.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
All this Americans are dumb philistines with no history is so insecure and needy it's tragic.

Especially this weekend, the history of our and our rivals colonies there is fascinating, and there's so much to learn and explore. If you don't payattention to our history in North America you cant really understand our industrialisation, consequent imperialism and how it shaped modern Britain and the world.

It wasn't a boat full of religious nutters from England pitching up and deciding to become a different race who were thicker less sophisticated more racist and generally worse people than the english. The amount of snobbery towards the U.S. on here is astounding, and in itself so unsophisticated and unworldly, ironically.
Totally this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Go around asking Brits to explain November 5th and I suspect you would get a similar response.
Yeah but come on:
'Who are we celebrating independence from?'
'Errrrr..... some other countries.'

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
One of my favourites, was a septic insisting that The Beatles were in fact Americans, out of New Jersey apparently. It took about three weeks to convince him he was wrong,pre internet, obviously

I have heard plenty of Irish claim the Beatles, based on ethnicity.

Bet you could find plenty of english people who would believe frankie Valli and the four seasons were a Mersey beat group.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Totally this.

Yes totally what [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] said about the History and how Britain shaped itself after the colonies started breaking from the Empire. However, those things that the U.S. Is being accused of is what it had become. Burgers that are 1200 calories, drone strikes, the right to bear arms and shoot everyone etc etc.. I understand that the U.S. Is not all like that and I am a regular visitor for work, perhaps as many as 30 times a year. But they have a large element of dumb ass and therefore the U.S. Caters for those people as there's a buck in it. Our chav society is fast going the same way. We aren't far behind, so we really shouldn't be getting on a high horse.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
This is how a lot of Americans spent celebrating the 4th.

View attachment 66682

I have to say that this time around in America I see more of a determination to avoid calories and eat right. Hardees restaurants maybe selling the thickburger but they are selling less and less of them as time goes on.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm just thankful that hardly anyone in the UK knows the date of Thanksgiving Day.

It's Black Friday Eve isn't it? I usually spend the day getting myself into shape, ready to have a fight with some CHAVS over a Blaupunkt TV in ASDA.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I can only speak from personal experience. I've never been to 'touristy' America, but have spent some time in Dallas/Fort Worth (Texas) and Scottsdale (Arizona) in particular, and never have I ever come across so many knid, hospitable and friendly people.
The slightest mention that I was English would usually ensure free booze and food all night - i've had nights where they literally couldn't do enough for me. If it were a viable option i'd spend loads more time over there. Love the place.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It's bad enough that we know the date of July 4th. Out here in Firle, we like to think of it being a celebration of the uselessness of the Gage family.

I'm just thankful that hardly anyone in the UK knows the date of Thanksgiving Day.

Wasn't Gage one of those soldiers of ours that helped us lose America? Is it the same family?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I have to say that this time around in America I see more of a determination to avoid calories and eat right. Hardees restaurants maybe selling the thickburger but they are selling less and less of them as time goes on.

Exactly. Go to Glasgow if you want to see people really eating rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here