Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a House in Brighton - Possible/Sensible?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Getting on the property ladder is really hard and I do have sympathy with youngsters, faced with this daunting task.however ... I don't really want to have a pop at the OP on this one, as he is only really asking for advice, rather than moaning about how tough things are, but from his other posts, he was racing out to buy an iphone6 and also appears to have an everything thrown in Sky package. Neither will make much of a dent in a £90k deposit, but at the same time a few short term sacrifices to get where you need to long term, is never a bad strategy.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Some good points, but not the case for all flats. Myself and my partner bought a flat nearly 3 years ago in a private court in Shoreham/Southwick area, there's ample parking, large maintained gardens and every flat has a garage and most have a balcony. The service charge is over £100 pm however I think it's not bad value. The grounds are well kept, the common ways are regularly cleaned and are due to be refurbished soon, the outside of all 4 blocks were recently refurbished too and all garages just received updating and replacing of any rotten frames.

Fair enough and sounds a great deal I just know some I looked at basically got nothing for the £100, I suspect it really depends on the freeholder but it will effect the ability to borrow as it is not discretionary and needs to be added to the equation when looking

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fair enough and sounds a great deal I just know some I looked at basically got nothing for the £100, I suspect it really depends on the freeholder but it will effect the ability to borrow as it is not discretionary and needs to be added to the equation when looking

Yep, we seem to be quite lucky with what we get for our money. As you say though, we did see some extortionate fees for charges in properties with no gardens or balcony etc. I think it's fair to say you can't do too much research when purchasing a home.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Shoreham and Southwick, even parts of Portslade are nice enough areas. I wouldn't recommend Newhaven or Peacehaven though to anybody.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Problem with those suggesting SBS is that prices are rocketing here. There's a reasonably smart 3 bed semi on my st, nowt special, on for £450k..... Next door but 1 just went for £500k (4 beds). It's mad.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Shoreham and Southwick, even parts of Portslade are nice enough areas. I wouldn't recommend Newhaven or Peacehaven though to anybody.

[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] seems very happy with his move here.
It's bloody fantastic! Why wouldn't you recommend it? Beautiful sea and downland views. A couple of great pubs, Indian and Italian restaurants and great transport links. The town centre / ring road needs some serious work but this barely affects me and there are signs that this will ccome in time.

I fail to see how Portslade is better TBH and it's far more expensive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Slightly O/T but every time I'm down at the Marina I can't help but think how much boat you get for your money. OP's £250,000 would get him a floating palace. Half of that figure would get him something eminently liveable-in. Reckon mooring fees wouldn't amount to much more than maintenance charges on a flat. Assuming you're allowed to live year-round on a boat in the Marina, that is. Anyone ever tried it?

A colleague of my other half lives there on a boat.

I agree with Notters about Newhaven. We have direct trainlinks with London early morning and evening, although the rest of the day, you have to change at Lewes. There is a very frequent bus service to Brighton & Eastbourne which only takes 25 mins either way.
From my living room I have superb downland views, and only a few minutes from the sea. I can shop in Brighton, Lewes, Seaford or Eastbourne, so not too worried about the shopping area although it is annoying that we've just lost our last bank.
There are plans to do up the harbour, which hopefully will go through, and the road link is going to be redone this autumn.
It is a quiet area with hardly any crime.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We sold our 3 bed semi in Peacehaven for £54k in 1992 , last year the house next door sold for £248k. Moving up north meant that I was able to clear the mortgage in 2000 , the downside is we're now stuck here unless we win the lottery jackpot. Realistically we can't even afford to buy in Hastings :ohmy:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've been reading all the replies over the past couple of days and there's lots of helpful info, so thanks all.
I think our realistic budget is £150,000 - £175,000 so we'll set our sights on the far outskirts which I'm more than happy to do.
I have tried to attach a map/screen print of right move to show my search filters.

acfd742adff52db54cbbcc332773e2ca.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nicely done. You'll probably find you'll get a lot of those "price reduced for the over 60s" oonce a come up in Brighton which are aactually a lot more expensive.

You'll get a decent house with garden in Newhaven for that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Nicely done. You'll probably find you'll get a lot of those "price reduced for the over 60s" oonce a come up in Brighton which are aactually a lot more expensive.

You'll get a decent house with garden in Newhaven for that.

I should have said in my first post but a garden is a 110% must. Dog etc..!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's bloody fantastic! Why wouldn't you recommend it? Beautiful sea and downland views. A couple of great pubs, Indian and Italian restaurants and great transport links. The town centre / ring road needs some serious work but this barely affects me and there are signs that this will ccome in time.

I fail to see how Portslade is better TBH and it's far more expensive.

[MENTION=2125]dougdeep[/MENTION] has to be negative about most things, as you know I'm also from Brighton and we both know that you get more for your money over this way.
You have made the correct decision moving to Newhaven and buying a house rather than buying a small flat in Brighton for the same money.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Newhaven is looking good so far. I might have a drive over next week and scout the area.
Btw, I grew up in Portslade and really don't like the place. I know a small part of it is getting better (Victoria Road), but it's still pretty grim imo.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Newhaven is looking good so far. I might have a drive over next week and scout the area.
Btw, I grew up in Portslade and really don't like the place. I know a small part of it is getting better (Victoria Road), but it's still pretty grim imo.

I was in a similar situation, I ended up moving to seaford which is a much better town than newhaven. Slightly more expensive tho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here