Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hong Kong - Hoping For The Best But Expecting The Worst

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The demonstrators clearly didn’t think this through. They would have been better off keeping their heads down - rather than lose them. It is going to end badly.
Whilst the country was on a lease, it may be interesting to know what the national status of the people born there whilst Britain leased the land. Would they would be entitled to British citizenship?

Phoenix011

Nov 28, 2018
The demonstrators clearly didn’t think this through. They would have been better off keeping their heads down - rather than lose them. It is going to end badly.
Whilst the country was on a lease, it may be interesting to know what the national status of the people born there whilst Britain leased the land. Would they would be entitled to British citizenship?

I think you're right but i think this is the only real window of opportunity that they had given the absurdity of the extradition bill. If they hadn't protested now and that had passed then it would've probably been a slippery slope

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I think things will calm down once the students go back to school. The majority of protestors are youngsters, living at their parents rent free with little real life experience and have sadly got carried away making unrealistic demands. When they have classes to go back to the numbers will dwindle, like it did in 2014.

I just hope that they start to realise this sooner rather than later. There is only so long any government will take, when your international airport is shut down and your police force is having bricks and petrol bombs chucked at them!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Was there Friday till Monday and thankfully got out. Have lived in both HK and Shenzhen recently, where the military is building up.

Friends there, including lots of British and other expats feel that it's safe to visit if you know the area well and have an important reason, but otherwise should certainly stay well away.

The younger locals I know well would often say in answer to some above comments that they would rather loose their heads than keep them down and become mainlanders in effect. Everyone knows HK society is disappearing but they want to cling on passionately to any crumb they can, especially for the 50 years agreed to in 1997 by China. If agreements are made, even when they hate them, many Cantonese there would respect them but going totally against previous ones or denying very basic human rights is something they feel worth fighting for. The extradition bill China is imposing through their puppet leaders (as can only choose who to vote for from those chosen by China) being the main spark. I have no doubt people would begin to disappear.

Was a fascinating visit to walk around and see how quiet the usually busy CBD areas are. Thankfully if mainlander rich families keep getting hit financially, a peaceful result may happen. Locals are getting pockets massively hit too but have much more stamina for that kind of thing you would think as more invested in other ways. Hopefully some mainland families will eventually put pressure on others in goverment to use caution so they don't loose wealth, but equally those families might have the most to gain in any post aggression grabbing.

Very worried for people there!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The original lease only being signed "casually" for 99 years with the thought that meant forever, might be historical but is still pretty stupid and ultimately is the cause of all of this.
When the British took control of Hong Kong there were just a few thousand people living there. There's 1000 times as many now. Blaming the current problems on a declaration in Queen Victoria's time is ridiculous.

Also, the Chinese agreed that Hong Kong citizens would keep their democracy for 50 years. China is going back on the agreement. With China prepared to do that, would it really make any difference if we had a 1000 year lease? The Chinese would just take it anyway.

They still pretend Taiwan is part of China.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Filthy communist turds are infiltrating Australian Universities.

Recently at University of Queensland a peaceful protest turned violent because of the commie pricks.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ong-kong-students-clash-university-queensland

One pro-Hong Kong student who was there had his family in China visited by the state telling them to tell him to cease his actions. So they are here using their commie minions in the guise of "students" spying on peaceful protestors in a foreign nation.

Utter dogs.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
When the British took control of Hong Kong there were just a few thousand people living there. There's 1000 times as many now. Blaming the current problems on a declaration in Queen Victoria's time is ridiculous.

Also, the Chinese agreed that Hong Kong citizens would keep their democracy for 50 years. China is going back on the agreement. With China prepared to do that, would it really make any difference if we had a 1000 year lease? The Chinese would just take it anyway.

When you see the open and state sanctioned (and funded) bullshit China is undertaking in Taiwan it makes you wonder why it's not a bigger story than the fake news of Russians meddling in USA elections.

Pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into churning out Pro-Chinese information through Taiwanese media.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

In essence, I agree that the idea of a 1000 year lease would not make any difference, China are their own masters, but steps should have been taken proactively regarding the status of Hong Kong citizens either before 97 or after.

In my wider argument, the sentence you picked out stated that we got involved in the first place. We installed a democracy next door to a one-party-state, and accordingly, we are to blame for what has become a wider dispute about democracy in the region. This isn't a bad thing at all but the lease (and the end of it) is therefore a clear cause of the current problems. As you state, whilst under British rule, the population has risen dramatically and the reality is, as a country we do have some responsibility for them. Personally, I don't think it is right for us to just wash our hands of Hong Kong and I hope at the very least there is some kind of citizenship offered.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

This. My wife is Taiwanese so I keep up to date with everything going on over there. The Taiwanese cannot stand the Chinese and the worry is that once Hong Kong is 'sorted', China will then look to Taiwan.
The current Taiwanese president is pro independence, and China have cut off pretty much all tourism to Taiwan from China and have just announced they will no longer give out a visa for individuals who want to visit Taiwan.

A few years ago anywhere you went in Taiwan was crowded with Chinese Tourists who would spend lots of money, this has now stopped with just a handful of group visits which has had a huge impact on the economy. My brother in law is a tourist guide, driving groups of Chinese around the country on tours, his work has dried up as they are not coming and this is just one example of how China can dictate while not being in direct control.

Apparently China has close to 2000 missiles pointing at Taiwan. If they attacked, no one would come to Taiwan's help, even though the USA have promised to, but I cannot see it. Hong Kong is the same, If China came in all heavy handed, no one would be able to react as China is untouchable unfortunately.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Recently at University of Queensland a peaceful protest turned violent because of the commie pricks.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ong-kong-students-clash-university-queensland

One pro-Hong Kong student who was there had his family in China visited by the state telling them to tell him to cease his actions. So they are here using their commie minions in the guise of "students" spying on peaceful protestors in a foreign nation.

Utter dogs.

Absolutely nothing about China is communist anymore. It's purely a dictatorship

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Agree with your point, except that China isn't communist any more. China operates capitalism, with rich and poor, it just does so without democracy.

Have you got a link to that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I don't think it is right for us to just wash our hands of Hong Kong and I hope at the very least there is some kind of citizenship offered.
I wouldn't want to wash our hands of them. I don't know how workable it is to offer citizenship to £7m people. Where would they all go?

I don't understand politics well enough to know why the free world can't do more against China's treatment of Hong Kong, just like I don't understand why Russia's occupation of the Crimea is accepted.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wouldn't want to wash our hands of them. I don't know how workable it is to offer citizenship to £7m people. Where would they all go?

I don't understand politics well enough to know why the free world can't do more against China's treatment of Hong Kong, just like I don't understand why Russia's occupation of the Crimea is accepted.

I don't doubt places like Australia, Singapore and New Zealand will see a rise in Hong Kong residents leaving if it all goes tits up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here