Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Although I'm 60/40 in favour my head is ok because it certainly does not add to the drama, but how come it does seem to with cricket and rugby.
Why is it so different with football?

Because football is a game that should continue as much as possible to be entertaining.

Reviewed decisions in cricket can happen in the time that would usually be taken up by watching a bowler walk back to his mark. In rugby they are only taken at the end of a set of phases when the ball is dead and there is a set play in the rules that you can go back to if the outcome is reversed.

Football isn't like this. It's instant, visceral and more or less unreversable without consquences. And, as a result. VAR is ruining it.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I fully expect there will be times when the opposition will get goals against us chalked off, so we’re 1 down to VAR for now but when we get one of these decisions in our favour then everyone will love it ! I still get mad at the thought of the Burnley game last season when we should have had a nailed on penalty for handball - VAR will sort this out and over the season things will even themselves out.

My only gripe is the time it took - the goal went in, I celebrated like mad, went for a lash while there was a break in play and the decision was only made when I just got back to my seat !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Although I'm 60/40 in favour my head is ok because it certainly does not add to the drama, but how come it does seem to with cricket and rugby.
Why is it so different with football?

Because no other sport has the spontaneous unexpected explosion of JOY that football has, when you see that net bulge. Goals are rare. They are SO hard to come by. I'm not saying a wicket or a try isn't, but have you EVER celebrated a wicket or a try with the sudden joy of a goal ? I'd say only when its an absolutely crucial one. Add in the fact that cricket and rugby, by their nature, are stop-start games with lots of breaks and natural stoppages where video reviews work, and there's your reason as to why is just does not work as well in a flowing game like football.

I had my doubts on VAR before today, but felt if it was resolving CLEAR and OBVIOUS mistakes, then it would be worthwhile. After today though - no. As [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] said, it absolutely sucked the joy out of it today. We couldn't even properly enjoy Trossards splendid equaliser. EVERYTHING is on hold, while you watch the ref.

I'm out.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Did you have the same response to goal line technology too? Were you annoyed when Gross scored the goal to beat United, and keep us in the PL?

VAR is still open to human error is it not? Humans have still have to judge if a team of moving people and their shirts, boot laces, hair and what ever else is moving is offside.

Goal line tech is just that computer tech that judges if a ball went over a static white line and a static bar. Im all for goal line tech, its also pretty instant and we know whats going on whist it is being used.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I don’t like it when Brighton lose unfairly.

Remember Cardiff away last season? That was a long coach journey home to swallow the offside winner. Bamber didn’t even get booked for taking his shirt off!

The quality of Referring will never be absolutely perfect. VAR is therefore needed. Look what it has done for other sports!

I’m with you on this. I was at Cardiff for that injustice last season, just like it was when we should have had a nailed on penalty at home to Burnley when Kendrick hooked the ball away with his arm in the box. We all moaned at how shit the refereeing was last season and VAR will ultimately sort that out - it just feels hard to take when it goes against you but the time will come when our opponents get a goal chalked off against us by VAR and everyone will love it !

Northern_Gull

Mar 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I think VAR in the long run is good, no more (hopefully) losing to bad decisions made by the ref, i just think fans inside the stadium need to be in the know a bit more, like show the replay on the screens and say what they are looking for. That penalty review that WHU had was frustrating because play had carried on for so long before the review came in they could have decided it wasn't a penalty and moved on with it, instead of having a break in play and reviewing it 30 seconds later

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
I do believe VAR has its place.
However as an idea (don’t know if anyone has had this idea already), but to make offside decisions less millimetre perfect why don’t they try making the VAR lines drawn across the pitch each 2 feet wide. If they touch, overlap, it’s onside. This will favour the attacking team (as I believe has been the desire over the years anyway) and reduce the amount of celebrations being deflated unnecessarily like today.
VAR is there for the ‘clear and obvious’ so why not give a little flex for offsides?

Loved the way we played today. Defended higher up the pitch. More excitement in 2 games this season than the whole of last for me.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
NO!! Forever NO!! F**king up our paid for enjoyment, so glad I didn't go, still raging from here.

You don't get football do you? Go watch an American sport you'll enjoy it so much more.

They probably went to the match where tickets were still available. Just saying.

Just out of interest, what did you pay for your paid for enjoyment?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm at a point now where, when it comes to offsides, I just want VAR binned off completely. Revert to the lino's call, they've always got it right 95% of the time. Over the course of the season when you get the odd duff one, it'll even itself out.

Just use VAR to review clear and obvious WRONG decisions on penalties, and red cards. Thats it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm at a point now where, when it comes to offsides, I just want VAR binned off completely. Revert to the lino's call, they've always got it right 95% of the time. Over the course of the season when you get the odd duff one, it'll even itself out.

Just use VAR to review clear and obvious WRONG decisions on penalties, and red cards. Thats it.

This, but it will never happen.

Betting conglomerates and the top 6 pushing it and we'll get more and more pundit spin declaring how great it is.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can't help thinking that if Trossard's first goal was allowed, we would have gone on to destroy WHU

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Completely disagree. Offside is often very difficult to call in real time especially with high line defence against free kicks and VAR can help give a decision when it is close. How do you know linos get it right 95% of time without VAR? Shame today but Burn was offside; wouldn't we all be pissed off if WH had scored that goal, been given, then MOTD showed a WH player was offside.

I would like to see DRS in football so captains have two reviews they can use, to be retained only if they are correct. As in cricket, it would add a bit of judgmental spice.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
VAR is still open to human error is it not? Humans have still have to judge if a team of moving people and their shirts, boot laces, hair and what ever else is moving is offside.

Goal line tech is just that computer tech that judges if a ball went over a static white line and a static bar. Im all for goal line tech, its also pretty instant and we know whats going on whist it is being used.

Offsides and the ball running out of play are 'objective' decisions, like goal line technology, which is why they're judged accordingly in the new system.
The other decisions -- penalties, red cards -- need to involve a clear and obvious error in order to be overturned (ie they've acknowledged the subjective factors)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So let's say that for the next 5 minutes we have the ball pinging about in there box and eventually score, do they go back 5 minutes to check if there was an infringement, if so is that 5 minutes added on at the end of the game?

No and therefore no.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So instead of having a complete and utter shysters thread every week it will be replaced with complete and utter VARsters thread. At least with the former I can see who I am abusing every week, for that reason VAR can do one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here